Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: Bill Mantlo remembered (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2006 at 9:50pm | IP Logged | 1  

QUOTE:
I agree with Matt. After Hulk #272 we got the Intelligent Hulk (Bruce Banner retaining his intelligence and personality while green) and then the completely mindless Hulk at the Crossroads Of All Realities. In both cases this was a greater removal of the character from his "core" than any Hulk story Peter David ever wrote.

Wow. I seriously disagree.
Back to Top profile | search

Christopher Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2006 at 11:12pm | IP Logged | 2  

I remember thinking that Bill Mantlo was one of the most "mediocre" writers in comics.

I still think so.  The M-word is in quotes because "mediocre" to me is what you normal people would call "good".

Bill Mantlo was a writer that I could always depend on as having written a good story.  If I looked at the writing credit and it says "Mantlo" then I am glad I bought the comic.  More times than not his work will entertain me.  He is consistent.  One could not ask for more.  He never let any the quality of any of his work diminish or decresase simply for the purpose of making another work better or great.  He wouldn't be distracted; he would deliver.

Heck... Bill Mantlo is a lot less hit or miss than nearly any creator today.

CJA
Back to Top profile | search | www

Troy Nunis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2006 at 11:33pm | IP Logged | 3  

>>Bill Mantlo was a writer that I could always depend on as having written a good story.<<

That's the nut of it to me and what i look for in writers, someone who brings "The Story" -- not the high-concept, not someone in love with their own dialoge, not the plan to take character A and turn him into characer B, but someone who has The Story that must be told, a Storyteller -- and Bill Mantlo certainly was a Storyteller.  In particularly i enjoyed his Micronauts, and certainly do regret he isn't still able to be in the industry telling stories.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Zaki Hasan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2006 at 12:08am | IP Logged | 4  

One of the first comics I have memories of reading is Hulk 296, so I guess you could say my childhood is inextricably linked to both Mantlo's Hulk and ROM.

I acquired the entirety of ROM and Micronauts through the miracle of eBay last year, and they were every bit as fun as my nostalgia-driven mind remembered. 

It's a damned shame what happened to him, and a big lesson to all of us, to be sure.

Pedro Bouça
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2006 at 5:13am | IP Logged | 5  

It's incredibly sad what happened to him and I wish it had never happened, but...

Sorry, guys, I grew up reading Bill Mantlo books as much as you and thought he was the WORST writer in comics. OK, Rom had some decent stories, as did early Micronauts (I would say that Michael Golden's artwork may have affected my judgement on that) and Cloak and Dagger (same for Rick Leonardi's art), but this is what? 1% of his output?

His Hulk was terrible! I don't understand how people here, so critical of PAD's run, may praise a guy that did a LONG run with "Hulk with banner's mind" and a LONGER one with "Hulk without Banner whatsoever, but don't worry, since we sent him to a place where everywhere he goes, he is a pussy compared to the locals". I mean, that was PAINFUL to read! And his supporting cast on that run? A bunch of bright bubbles, a gremlin and two TOYS! The famous "Banner past" story (cribbed from BWS notes, and that is considered Mantlo's masterpiece!) had a DOLL as one of the supporting cast, for dog's sake! I bought the brazilian Hulk mag to read Iron Man and SUFFERED through the Hulk pages to get to the stories I wanted. He made me dislike the Hulk for years! I actually cheered when I knew JB was taking over, because I would be able to like the character again (and I did).

His Spider-Man couldn't hold a candle to the contemporary Roger Stern Spider-Man. And don't get me started on his Alpha Flight, please!

You guys are frankly seeing the past through pink-colored glasses. Marvel in the early 80s was great, yes, but Bill Mantlo, at least IMHO, was the exception. Was he still active (and I really wish that was the case), he would be another of those writers who have vanished from comics since. Probably a full-time lawyer (his other activity at the time) by now.

Being fair to the guy, his last story I read (drawn by Jean-Claude Gal for Heavy Metal) was very good. But not exceptional.

Edited by Pedro Bouça on 17 May 2006 at 5:14am

Chris Durnell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2006 at 7:38pm | IP Logged | 6  

Mantlo was a solid second tier Marvel writer.  Never at the level of a Claremont, Stern, Byrne, or Simonson, but he could be counted on for entertaining stories.  However, he also did some horrible stories.  I don't mind his Hulk efforts because the Hulk seems to go through "phases."  I thought his Alpha Flight stories were terrible though, and he did not understand the characters.  I loathed them.  Loved his Cloak and Dagger stuff though, and enjoyed his Spectacular Spider-Man run.

I wish him the best.

Simon Matthew Park
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2006 at 7:46pm | IP Logged | 7  

Considering the sheer amount of stuff he wrote, the ratio of good to bad was still in favour of the good stuff. Consider how many writers now, with only a fraction of the output, consistently manage to produce boring rubbish. What writer hasn't done some work that was below their usual standard? Bill Mantlo wrote sh**loads of comics, and the good outweighed the bad by a considerable margin, from what I can remember.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 17 May 2006 at 7:47pm | IP Logged | 8  

Pedro Bouca wrote:
You guys are frankly seeing the past through pink-colored glasses.

Speaking only for myself, I can say with 100% certainty that I'm not looking through rose-colored glasses when I comment on how much I loved his work on ROM, MICRONAUTS and HULK.  All three.  Hell, I even forgot to mention CLOAK AND DAGGER, another favorite of mine.  Sure, I wasn't the biggest fan of Mantlo's take on ALPHA FLIGHT coming on the heels of JB's stellar run, but every creator has misses.  I'm not gonna hold that against him.  For me, a ton of his work introduced me to characters I love to this day.  I can't give the guy any bigger praise than that.

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2006 at 7:54pm | IP Logged | 9  

I tend to agree with Pedro.  Well, I guess I wouldn't say he was "terrible" but more competent yet unspectacular.   I wonder how much may be attributed to the "age at first read" syndrome?  For example, I have fond memories of Gerry Conway's early-70's Fantastic Four stories, but when I go back and reread them objectively I can see where my childhood memories cloud my critical judgment.  So, a question:  those of you who are big Mantlo fans, how old were you when you first read Rom, Micronauts, or Mantlo's Hulk?  I was 13 when those came out, and I did not dig them then, and still don't.

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 17 May 2006 at 7:56pm

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2006 at 7:58pm | IP Logged | 10  

There were some really good Mantlo stories, but I always thought he did "cliche" stuff a lot, and often repeated himself.  Micronauts was my favorite work of his, but sometimes the story slowed to a crawl.  He was consistently good and apparently wrote almost as fast as Sal Buscema could draw!

Avengers Annual #9, the Arsenal story with the Don Newton Art was my favorite comic for years.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Simon Matthew Park
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2006 at 8:03pm | IP Logged | 11  

My first introduction to his work was on Rom and The Micronauts, and they're still all-time favourites of mine. I've enjoyed his writing, I can honestly say, on everything except Alpha Flight. Of course, JB's act is a hard one to follow, so I don't hold that against Mantlo at all. He wrote a ton of good stuff, so I don't see why focusing on the odd thing he got wrong negates all the good writing that he did.

Jay Matthews
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2006 at 8:10pm | IP Logged | 12  

Jason wrote:
So, a question:  those of you who are big Mantlo fans, how old were you when you first read Rom, Micronauts, or Mantlo's Hulk?

So your point could conceivably apply to my case.  But I loved it, and did not love other stuff at that age.  So it was in some sense good.  I'm not really interested in deconstructing it and figuring out if I had good taste.   It's good stuff.  I appreciate it.

Stong burst:  Hulk 248 (the Gardener), 250 (Silver Surfer), 251 (3-D Man), 252-253 (Woodgod), ad 254 (U-Foes).  It holds up, I says.

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version