Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: When Byrne left Uncanny X-men and Cockrum took over... (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2006 at 2:13pm | IP Logged | 1  

Too much X-Men wank. I love the Claremont/Byrne stuff as much as anybody, but all the X-fans make it sound like the greatest run of comics ever put to newsprint. I remember being about eleven when I encountered this run and it certainly hooked me in, particularly because Byrne-drawn Wolverine was such a massively cool character, like Jack Nicholson melded with Toshiro Mifune and topped off with Bogart in the very way in which Byrne presented him, but the world was also introduced to the whole "Mutie" mythos which was taken way too seriously and driven way too far into the ground, kicking off years of Claremont rehashing of these stilted themes. So I must say I'm resentful of how much the themes within the X-Men dominated a once-diverse Marvel and began the whole collector craze as we know it.

For me, Byrne's FF work, particularly the first year and a half, is the finest consistently excellent superhero comic ever produced. Everything about that chunk of the run displayed the raw creativity and professional knowledge of Byrne, coupled with his love of the characters. Add in his knowledge of comics history and his willingness to demand readers follow him even if they did not agree (changing Grimm to his original form I didn't like, and then later realized it was brilliant, as it turned Grimm back into what he was supposed to be, a monster rather than a "cute" idol of millions), and there's been nothing like it in the years since.

John Buscema drew the most iconic version of the Thing, in my view, in all three of his runs on the title, but particularly with Joe Sinnott.

Back to Top profile | search

Al Cook
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2006 at 2:23pm | IP Logged | 2  

"Too much X-Men wank. ...For me, Byrne's FF work, particularly the first
year and a half, is the finest consistently excellent superhero comic ever
produced." -- Chad Carter.

I see where you're coming from, Chad. But since this is a X-Men thread, I
guess we just have to go with the
flow, eh?

Edited by Al Cook on 23 April 2006 at 2:24pm

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2006 at 2:24pm | IP Logged | 3  

Even if I love too the Dr Doom story that someone here found "out of character".

The real Doom wouldn't let someone strike a match on him. It's too base an insult. The Red Skull, Magneto... they *might* ignore it if Arcade was critical to their plans, but Doom's ego wouldn't allow it and certainly wouldn't accept that Arcade was so important, he'd have to put up with such an indignity.

"Doom needs no one."

Back to Top profile | search | www

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2006 at 3:11pm | IP Logged | 4  

Of course, it was totally in character for Arcade.  But the consequences (nothing) were not.

Edit: did you know "totally" has two Ls?  Well, I thought I did, once.

Edited by Kevin Hagerman on 23 April 2006 at 3:12pm

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2006 at 3:12pm | IP Logged | 5  

Arcade is a buffoon. Kings are tolerant towards buffoons

James Henry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2006 at 6:45pm | IP Logged | 6  

Chad Carter said: "Too much X-Men wank. I love the Claremont/Byrne stuff as much as anybody, but all the X-fans make it sound like the greatest run of comics ever put to newsprint."

I don't know about the greatest, but, it's certainly one of the greatest runs ever done in comics.  You'd be hard pressed to find a run by any creative duo in the modern era  that did more to establish the characters and mythos of any comic book title than John Byrne and Chris Claremont did for the X-Men.

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Mietus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2006 at 6:50pm | IP Logged | 7  

I don't know if it was one of the greatest runs in comics, but definitely
one of the greatest runs of the X-MEN.

Mike Farley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2006 at 11:27pm | IP Logged | 8  

Of course, it was totally in character for Arcade.

And even MORE in character for Starbuck.  I think Chris had been watching a LITTLE too much BATTLESTAR GALACTICA.

Andy Hardy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2006 at 12:04am | IP Logged | 9  

My introduction into Uncanny X-Men began with issue # 128, the conclusion of the Proteus storyline. I picked up this issue because the cover looked like the work of the same guy who drew "The Yesterday Quest" storyline in the Avengers, and I loved that guy's art because he was the best horror artist I'd ever seen (as I loved The House of Mystery, The House of Secrets, and Secrets of the Haunted House).

I missed a few issues (I don't remeber why), but came back for # 133. I remember being VERY disappointed with Cockrum's art, though I'm not sure that I disliked it because of the art itself, or mainly because it wasn't JB's art.  I remember loving Paul Smith's work, and liking JRjr's artwork, too. I quit Uncanny somewhere around 207/208, near the end of Romita Jr's tenure.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

James Revilla
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2006 at 12:32am | IP Logged | 10  

Can i ask JB a question ?

Do you think the friction with Chris was worth the stories you got from it ? Just curious.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2006 at 7:34pm | IP Logged | 11  

Correction:  On an earlier post on this thread, I mentioned that www.comics.org credits Dave Cockrum with breakdowns only on his second X-Men stint.  Well, I asked Dave on his message board, and he said that is incorrect.  He reports he did "loose pencils in blue" but that they were full pencils not breakdowns.  Just wanted to make note of that here so I wouldn't be spreading misinformation.

Mary Ward
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2006 at 7:47pm | IP Logged | 12  

They're wrong. I did loose pencils in blue. Editor Ann Nocenti referred to them as 'shakedowns'. But everything was there.

Dave's words precisely!! copied and pasted for all to see! I thought that was you on Nightscrawlers, says the long time Nightscrawler who thought she recognized somebody's name! Dave uses blue pencil, I believe, for effect, but I could ask him myself for you?? Maybe that is why the inks did not turn out just so or the art looked so different because they were "loose" pencils...and it did in the second run! look different that is! But that may have been from the onset of the diabetes he suffers from.

Edited by Mary Ward on 25 April 2006 at 7:52pm

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version