Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: When Byrne left Uncanny X-men and Cockrum took over... (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2006 at 10:19am | IP Logged | 1  

Al Cook wrote:
Then, a few years later, I was in a comic shop and stumbled across 274. Ka-Zar, Magneto and Fury were on the cover, and they were well-drawn! I opened it up and was blown away -- Dinosaurs, the Savage Land,
Magneto, awesome art, great colours, I even digged the lettering. 
Suddenly it seemed like the magic was back!

In case anyone doesn't realise Al is talking about Jim Lee's art.

Lee's art was pretty spectacular in those issues, just about every panel could have been a pinup.

Unlike Al, I enjoyed Silvestri's art on the book too though it was less polished than his later work for Image.

Back to Top profile | search

John Mietus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2006 at 11:02am | IP Logged | 2  

My first regular issue of the X-Men:

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2006 at 12:06pm | IP Logged | 3  

QUOTE:
Uncanny X-Men #167 was the first X-men issue that I bought also.  Does that make three of us on this board so far?

Looks like Joe might have been responding to my post, so I don't know if you counted me or not, but I started with #167, too. 

(Well, technically, my first "X-Men comic" was New Mutants #1, but still... :-) )

Chris Campagna
Byrne Robotics Member
troll

Posted: 22 April 2006 at 12:32pm | IP Logged | 4  

I was lucky enough to experience the Byrne/Claremont issues right off the newstand during thier original run. It was obvious to me that I was witnessing something special when I read those issues. In a way, comics seemed to really be growing up at that point. The entire creative team seemed mesh in a way that none of the teams on any of the other titles I read were. It was definitely magic.

When JB left X-Men, I was disappointed to say the least, and although I enjoyed Cockrums original run on the title, the choice of inkers (Joe Rubenstein wasn't it?) really didn't suit his style, and I found it to be a bit pedestrian and lacking in originality.

Of course Paul Smith came along and his unique and singular style was refreshing, and sure looked pretty.

And when i needed a Byrne fix, all I had to do was pick up an issue of his spectacular FF run which at that time really was living up to the hype of being "The Worlds Greatest Comic magazine".

Edited by Chris Campagna on 22 April 2006 at 12:37pm

Al Cook
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2006 at 12:40pm | IP Logged | 5  

Andrew Kneath:
"Unlike Al, I enjoyed Silvestri's art on the book too though it was less
polished than his later work for Image."

Yeah, and I shouldn't have used the phrase "well-drawn" in reference to Jim
Lee right after expressing my dislike for Silvestri -- I didn't mean to sound
like I was disparaging Marc, he's obviously very talented. I just didn't dig his
style on the book then.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 April 2006 at 12:47pm | IP Logged | 6  

And when i needed a Byrne fix, all I had to do was pick up an issue of his spectacular FF run which at that time really was living up to the hype of being "The Worlds Greatest Comic magazine".

A line of copy that was left off my first issue, mysteriously. This generated a brief flurry of mail and in the fan press, with the Byrne Bashers -- and they were already out there, declaring my "old stuff was better" -- to say this was Marvel's way of announcing to the fans that they had no confidence in my work and that I would not be on the FF's book for long.

Can you imagine how that would play in this age of the InterNet? Ye Gods!

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2006 at 1:03pm | IP Logged | 7  

In France the FF were some years late.

exemple: published in 1981: Uncanny X-Men from 1979/80, Fantastic four from 1974.

I think you're talking of your run as writer/artist, not of the Byrne/Wolfman issues?

When I first saw your writer/artist issues I wasn't a fan of the way you drawn the Thing there (I preffered your more "classic" Marvel two-in-one version (i mean more like what was done before, more "kirbyesk" if i dare say so)) and Reed seemed strangely slim compared to the way everybody till then, including you, seemed to drawn him.

Even for those who loved your work that was at first destabilizing+you were missed on uncanny. This is an exemple of how one's learns from the artist in reading comics.

Everything is not always understood from the start. Sometime you need time to get used to the changes.

You gave your run on the FF a really distinctive look. And thats certainly one of the reasons why its such a classic.

Edited by Stéphane Garrelie on 22 April 2006 at 1:06pm

Brett C. Flechaus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2006 at 1:54pm | IP Logged | 8  

I totally agree with Stephane about the way JB's FF was very offputting at
first.  No matter the explanation.....going back to their roots, inking himself
or whatever, the FF from #232 on no longer looked like they did for the 10 (?)
years prior.  And JB's art was certainly different fom his X-Men, 2in1, MTU
stuff.   What kept me buying it was thats lightly "off" Byrne was still better than
99% of what else was out there and he certainly was producing a visionary
comic in the same way as MIllers DD & Simonson's Thor & even JB/CC's
X-Men.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew Kneath
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2006 at 2:11pm | IP Logged | 9  

Here's a true story, when I first encounterd JB's FF issues (from his proper run)and very briefly browsed though them in my local newagents I thought the characters looked cartoonish and had somewhat oversized eyes and long necks. I'll admit I too found it a bit off-putting.

Eventually I did pick up an issue (the one where Frankie becomes Nova) despite my reservations about the art and found I really loved it (the art) though there was definitely something a bit strange and quirky about it.

I recall this quite clearly though I don't find the art strange of quirky now. It all looks pretty normal to me now. At the time though it did look very different from the typical Buscema/Joe Sinott style FF that we had been used to for a very long time.

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2006 at 2:46pm | IP Logged | 10  

Terry Austin was certainly a very fine inker -- witness how some of the X-MEN covers by Cockrum, even when John Byrne was the lead artist, just came totally alive when inked by Austin -- and I am definitely a fan...

...but I don't think it's at all accurate to pigeonhole Mr. Byrne's work as being at its "best" only as inked by Austin.

And ya know what, that's not what I meant at all.  Totally my fault.  I meant the best art combo (to date) for the X-Men, not the best for JB.  I always will prefer JB inking his own work.

Edited by Ed Aycock on 23 April 2006 at 8:49am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2006 at 6:00am | IP Logged | 11  

My favorite Cockrum work is the Nightcrawler mini serie from 1985.

The best parts of his second run on the X-Men were for me Kitty's tale and the Brood saga.

Even if I love too the Dr Doom story that someone here found "out of character".

Al Cook
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2006 at 7:43am | IP Logged | 12  

I was fairly new to Doom when I read Cockrum & Claremont's X-Men/
Arcade/Doom story, and I really liked it.

Then, when I read the little exchange between the real Doom and the
(revealed to be) Doom-robot in JB's Fantastic Four, I loved it even more!

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version