Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Commissioned Artwork
Byrne Robotics > Commissioned Artwork << Prev Page of 10
Topic: New Commission (And Something Different) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2006 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

One of the "lessons" I remember flying over my head as a teenager was the one described in the JB "How-to-draw" that had nothing really to do with John and that was to do with the proportion of the hips and waist in relation to the chest. rather than shrinking the head, to make the body mass appear that much more robust/stocky.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Scott Richards
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2006 at 10:06am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

If it's okay to ask, what would a commission like that cost?  I've gotten sketches from many artists and the prices seem to vary wildly.
Back to Top profile | search

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2006 at 11:46am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Scott, contact Jim Warden at doa1@erols.com and let him know what you are looking for.  He'll let you know the size and price options for you.  His website with John's artwork for sale is http://www.whatashock.com/doasales/byrne1.html

Daniel Kendrick
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2006 at 12:18pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Personally I read what I like, doesn't matter what company. I don't see JB (or Perez) as Marvel or DC, I just seem them as writer/artist whose work I enjoy. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 March 2006 at 1:19pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Unfortunately, Daniel, that makes you somewhat atypical, expecially in this shrunken marketplace -- and especially with those retailers who love to play "Let's You and Him Fight!" Marvel, of course, spent a lot of time and energy on turning their fans into "Marvel Zombies", a term coined as a pejorative but somehow embraced as a badge of honor. {Yes! I'm a mindless consumer! Hoorah!)

Matthew Hansel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2006 at 4:18pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Re: Talent switching from Marvel to DC and back...

Because I am a DC Boy, I used to see it as thus:

People work at Marvel to start out and get good, then they come to DC and do TREMENDOUS works that have a long shelf life and, usually, have a lasting impact on the industry.

I know that is a SWEEPING generalization, and I'm not sure that it even applies today, anymore, but certainly in the case of Frank Miller, John Byrne, Mike Mignola and a few others it is true...

MPH

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Daniel Kendrick
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2006 at 5:36pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I knew several people who gave me grief for what I liked. Although not popular I enjoyed DC doing the !mpact and Tangent lines. Part of me actually misses those 5th week events (although I don't miss Marvel's meta-plotting annuals, go figure).

My first comic was a Charlton horror book, my second probably either an Avenger's by Perez or one of the first issues of Micronauts. While on an Naval Base in Italy we bought and read what we could. If I still had half the books I did when I was there I'd be rich off of Ebay (since there was a weight limit to shipping items back, many items were often left behind, toys and comics being the big two). If you went to the resale store you'd find comics going back to the late 50s early 60s.

to a lot of us a comic was a comic. Didn't matter what company, didn't matter who did it. You liked it or you didnt. If it's what you didn't like you toook down to the BX and had a "yard sale" for $.10 a book or trade for what you liked.

(funny story, tragic to a degree. When we left for Italy I had an Uncle keep a box of comics for me. One of them was JB's Spider-Man/Wasp/Yellow Jacket team-up, autographed by "some guy who was signing books at the Mall. While gone the basement flooded and all the books were tossed (offical story, I have doubts). Comic was signed in '78 or '79, we left in April '80. It wasn't until 1990 or so I realized that the person who signed it was Stan Lee!)

Edited by Daniel Kendrick on 14 March 2006 at 5:36pm

Todd Horkey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2006 at 8:01pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Absorbing man did absorb Hulk power once I recall in his own book years ago.  I remember he then got tricked into absorbing glass, fell and you know....

Eric Lund
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2006 at 12:03am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Not true of McFarlane, Liefeld, Alan Davis, Dave Cockrum, Quesada,  Layton, One could argue Simonson, and there are many more...

Hitch and a slew of others...It swings both ways.... DC guys go to Marvel and get HUGE.... It all depends on the creator in question.... If from what I understand..Roy Thomas had his way McFarlane would have stayed on Infinity Inc. for years and never seen the light of day... I think it is a matter of the creator matching up with a character that he/she was meant to do... Miller Batman, Simosnon Thor, etc....

Günther Seydlitz
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2006 at 12:37am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

John wrote:
"Unfortunately, from the perspective of an inker, he
must have had incredibly sweaty hands (something I
sometimes experience myself) and the pages were
all slicked up like wax paper. Not only a bear to ink,
but a double-bear to erase. The graphite just
smeared. "

I've read an interview with Mike Esposito about Ross
Andru recently and Mike complained about the same
thing. The pages he got from Ross were almost
useless. Dirty, smeared, coffee stains, holes in
them ect. Must have been Ross's way of working.

Edited by Günther Seydlitz on 15 March 2006 at 12:38am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 10
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version