Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 18 Next >>
Topic: Q for Mr. Byrne: Jim Shooter (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2006 at 2:46pm | IP Logged | 1  

Glenn, when did you stop working at Marvel?
Back to Top profile | search

Glenn Greenberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2006 at 2:51pm | IP Logged | 2  

Brian,

To answer your question, I was already gone from Marvel when this Shooter thing happened.

But trust me: I know what I'm talking about.

Edited by Glenn Greenberg on 09 February 2006 at 2:57pm

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2006 at 2:59pm | IP Logged | 3  

Oh, I didn't doubt you. And, I'll admit the Shooter thing is what piqued my curiosity, but it was a sincere question.

Eric Kleefeld
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2006 at 4:47pm | IP Logged | 4  

Here's a question for the board: who would you rather have running Marvel right now, Joe Quesada or Jim Shooter? It's the taskmaster vs. the libertine.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Lund
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2006 at 4:53pm | IP Logged | 5  

I know all kinds of stories from Valiant... inside stuff from people who worked there that I went to school with...guys and gals who where at the ground floor of Valiant. Shooter himself came to the Kubert school my third year and wanted me to work for Valient told me I had the best hands in the school... I was extremely flattered...but ALL my friends who worked for him at Valiant told me "NO WAY! DON''T DO IT"..and after learning what kinds of things he did I never bothered with my follow up interview....I am glad I never worked for him knowing what I know.

Shooter is the classic example of "Power corrupts..Absolute Power corrupts absolutely"

I

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2006 at 5:00pm | IP Logged | 6  

QUOTE:
Here's a question for the board: who would you rather have running Marvel right now, Joe Quesada or Jim Shooter? It's the taskmaster vs. the libertine.

Shooter even at his worst he never did the garbage that Quesada has.  He would never let some hollywood hack rip Spideys eye out.

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2006 at 5:01pm | IP Logged | 7  

Based on what little I know I'd vote Shooter.  He most likely would not allow the missed deadlines and the "characters being written out of character for shock value" stories, which are two of the biggest problems with present-day Marvel.  And in this day and age, even if he drove away talent, there is plenty more waiting to take their place.  I'm not saying he necessarily would do a great job, but it would be fascinating to watch.  It would be fun for some of today's prima donna talents to have to deal with Shooter.  Heck, forget Shooter.  As long as we're fantasizing, I'd like to see Mort Weisinger in charge of today's Marvel.

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2006 at 5:08pm | IP Logged | 8  

Shooter is the classic example of "Power corrupts..Absolute Power corrupts absolutely"

You think he would have learned froim past errors though.  He did do some good things, and it is a shame he did not learn in his new companies

Gregg Allinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2006 at 5:50pm | IP Logged | 9  

He most likely would not allow the missed deadlines and the "characters being written out of character for shock value" stories, which are two of the biggest problems with present-day Marvel. 

I'll agree on the former, but I'm not so sure I'd trust the man responsible for "breaking" Hank Pym to stamp out "characters being written out of character for shock value stories".

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2006 at 6:06pm | IP Logged | 10  

Plus, if you read Secret Wars I+II, you'll find many Marvel characters being written, well, out of character.....

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2006 at 6:10pm | IP Logged | 11  

I only find some X-men out of character in Secret Wars I and I really enjoy Doom.

Shooter onced vetoed the idea to give Spidey an illegitimate baby. At least he says so [2000 interview]:

Then Bill Mantlo walks into my office one time and he's having a major war with whoever was his editor at the time. He's insisting he wants to do this story where Spider-Man fathers an illegitimate child and I said, no. Tell you what, do that same story, call him Arachnid Man, do it for Epic. And everybody will really know that it's Spider-Man. He said, "Why not?" I said, "Look, we have licensed Spider-Man for Underroos. We have things in the contract that say we won't do things like that." I said, "Can you imagine, on a slow news day, the president of Union underwear wakes up and there on CNN, they're talking about Spider-Man fathering an illegitimate child. All over the Bible Belt, Underroos are being pulled off the shelves. ... The people who own this company have put me here in order to keep you from doing that. Do that in the adult line for Epic. These just aren't our characters and we can't just mess around with them like that. We do have obligations. I didn't carve them, but they're there."

He was out of his mind, he threw a fit. Does an interview about how I was denying him his creative freedom. You know what. Yes, I did. And I would do it every time. ... I always tried to make the best judgment at the time I made them. I never made one in self-interest.

Edited by Rob Hewitt on 09 February 2006 at 6:25pm

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2006 at 6:25pm | IP Logged | 12  

gregg allinson wrote:
I'll agree on the former, but I'm not so sure I'd trust the man responsible for "breaking" Hank Pym to stamp out "characters being written out of character for shock value stories".

Touche.  In many ways that storyline was the forerunner of crap like Atom's wife is a serial killer or Scarlet Witch goes nutso and kills everybody.  But I still think he'd probably be less likely to allow *others* to do it even though he's done it himself.  Shooter seems like a "do as I say not as I do" kinda guy. 

<< Prev Page of 18 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version