Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 18 Next >>
Topic: Q for Mr. Byrne: Jim Shooter (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2006 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 1  

Egad! A black Michael Jackson with a nose!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Elliot Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2006 at 12:52pm | IP Logged | 2  

I remember as a child, I was really excited about Secret Wars II. I even purchased every single crossover published in connection with it.  Even though I was disappointed with SWII, it gave me a good reason to sample just about every title Marvel had at that time.  My first issue of Alpha Flight was the crossover issue (also John's last if I recall).  So that got me reading the Hulk and buying all the AF back issues I could find.  It also get me reading those Roger Stern/John Buscema Avengers issues, which are still some of my favorite comics ever.
Back to Top profile | search

Glenn Greenberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2006 at 1:49pm | IP Logged | 3  

Rob:

There is one and only one reason why Mr. Shooter's Avengers project at Marvel did not get off the ground. And that reason is Mr. Shooter himself.

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2006 at 2:29pm | IP Logged | 4  

Well, that's what happens when you only get one side of the story (although I think that he specifically complained about people at DC. I can't remember what he said about the Avengers story).

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Uresti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2006 at 2:32pm | IP Logged | 5  

Your word against his then.

Early Valiant comics written and created under Jim Shooter's control are my favorite super hero comics that I've had the pleasure to read, so forgive for not being glad that the guy was run out of comics.

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2006 at 2:32pm | IP Logged | 6  

2004 interview:

TH: There was some talk in 2002 that you were going to return to Marvel to write an Avengers series. It was apparently one of Joe Quesada's initial ambitions as EIC at Marvel. How did this come about, what was the concept, and what ever came of it?

JS: Joe asked me to do a sequel to the Korvac saga. Though the money in comics these days isn't very good, he persisted, and finally I agreed. I figured it would be fun, and I'd fit in somehow. I wrote an 8,000 work overview of the eight-issue story. Joe and his editor, Tom Brevoort seemed to like it, but I found Brevoort to be a pain. Didn't get along with him, mostly because he kept insisting on lecturing me about introducing characters not doing "paper cut-out" characters in the action scenes and such…before I'd even started! I asked him if he lectured John Buscema about making sure to draw with proper perspective and correct anatomy, which only got him up onto a higher horse. I surmised that this wasn't going to be fun and I had plenty of other work, so I bailed.

TH: What about the "last Legion story" you were rumoured to do?

JS: I proposed writing one last Legion of Super-Heroes story, a ten or twelve parter that would make nice trade book, to Paul Levitz. Paul agreed to do it. Then we talked a few days later and he told me that there were people at DC who hated me, and were up in arms at the thought of my doing any work there. Paul said it would be "more grief than either of us needed," and that was the end of that.

TH: Will we see more Jim Shooter work at the Big Two any time soon?

JS: I don't think so. I don't think they have any use for me. I’m pretty booked up at the moment, anyway.

TH: Do you think the industry today is the epitome of what you were trying to prevent during your EIC tenure?

JS: Yes.

Jon Juzan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2006 at 2:33pm | IP Logged | 7  

There is one and only one reason why Mr. Shooter's Avengers project at Marvel did not get off the ground. And that reason is Mr. Shooter himself.
------------------------------------------------------------ -----------------------------------

If you don't mind telling it, what's the story?  I remember reading that Shooter said the money was awful.

EDITED TO ADD:  Rob answered it.

Edited by Jon Juzan on 09 February 2006 at 2:39pm

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2006 at 2:37pm | IP Logged | 8  

Looks like the interview Rob posted the excerpt from supporsts Glenn's claim.

Glenn Greenberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2006 at 2:39pm | IP Logged | 9  

Rob,

That, of course, is Mr. Shooter's version of the story. And of course, that version is skewed to present him in the best possible light. That's all I can say.

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2006 at 2:44pm | IP Logged | 10  

Well, What motive would Glenn have not to be accurate?

The parties involved might-Shooter and Brevoort, but Glenn has no reason not toi call it like he sees it.

Anyway, it is clear to me that Shooter's own personality continues to play a problem in him getting work.  But, still, I like his story "the started writing comics at 13" so I wish it would all work out

Glenn Greenberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2006 at 2:45pm | IP Logged | 11  

Jon,

I can't really get into the details. But you can take my word for it: What Mr. Shooter says in the interview excerpt posted above only scratches the surface--and is a complete whitewashing--of the real story.

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2006 at 2:45pm | IP Logged | 12  

Since Secret Wars came up:

(and yes I am aware that he is making it seem like a book that probably made him a lot of money just sort of fell into his lap).

TH: Why and how did the Secret Wars books come about? Have you read the current non-related "Secret War" by Brian Bendis?

JS: Kenner had licensed the DC Heroes. Mattel had He-Man, but wanted to hedge in case Super Heroes became the next big fad. They were interested in Marvel's characters, but only if we staged a publishing event that would get a lot of attention, and they could build a theme around. Fans, especially young fans often suggested to me "one big story with all the heroes and all the villains in it", so I proposed that. It flew.

Mattel thought that kids responded so well to the word, "secret" so after a couple of working names bit the dust, we called the story Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars. I didn't need the hassle of writing it, but if I'd given it to any of the regulars, say Claremont, Byrne, or Michelinie, there would have been a lot of carping and complaining by the others. Pretty much every writer had a jealous, protective, almost proprietary feeling about "his" or "her" characters -- a good thing, in a way -- and I figured that the surest way to start a brawl in the bullpen was to give one writer a years' worth of opportunities just to piss off the rest. So, I wrote it.

I figured that they were all usually mad at me anyway…and I was the boss, the man designated by Marvel to be responsible for the characters -- so nobody could really argue with what I did. Let me rephrase that -- they could argue, and I'd listen, and sometimes agree with their points and make adjustments, but it was my call in the end. Besides, I was too big for any of them to take a swing at me. Secret Wars sold something like a million copies of month. To this day, people bring me issues to sign and tell me it was what started them reading comics.

I don't know about any new iterations.

<< Prev Page of 18 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version