Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 18 Next >>
Topic: Q for Mr. Byrne: Jim Shooter (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2006 at 8:29pm | IP Logged | 1  

Thanks, Rob, for getting it.  My point is that it could work if someone wanted it to.

What about Vic.  He says Peter is 22.  I am not a big Spi9der-Man fan, but that seems a little young to me.  His guess of 27 seems much closer to me.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2006 at 8:37pm | IP Logged | 2  

It does come to 27.  But I think it is far too old and changes the character.  Its best to just ignore that. 

Back to Top profile | search

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2006 at 8:58pm | IP Logged | 3  

So my rule that Jason called so wrong is actually right?

Why should Bill Maher be the only guy with new rules?

BTW, I do not like him...

Jason Fliegel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2006 at 9:21pm | IP Logged | 4  

QUOTE:
I'm not sure it works though to have time continually passing. Mark Gruenwald experimented that in his Mark's Remarks, but the idea of Peter Parker and others being replaced does not really appeal to me.

My theory is that when he got to be about four years old, Franklin Richards subconsciously decided he didn't want his Mom and Dad and all their friends to change, and subconsciously froze time in such a way that nobody we care about ages (but our favorite characters all lived through the Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, and Bush administrations).  It's a fanboysih theory to explain away a problem that only fanboys care about.

As for Spider-Man, I first started reading reprints of the early Romita stuff in Marvel Tales (my first issue was a reprint of Amazing Spider-Man #43).  Peter was a college freshman in those.  I quickly jumped to the then-modern stuff, which was the MacFarlane stuff in which Peter had just published a best-selling book of Spider-Man photos.  Whether Spidey is young or old, a good writer (like Stan Lee or David Michelinie) will make the character seem right, and a bad writer (I'll let you supply your own example) will make the character seem wrong.  I feel the same way about the marriage to Mary Jane, by the way.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2006 at 9:22pm | IP Logged | 5  

I recall when DC was still doing their "10 years ago..." sliding rule (which they thankfully gave up on), they published a timeline for Lois Lane. It seemed like they were determined to keep her at 29, which meant that she had to be a seasoned reporter at 19 when Superman saves the space plane. I'm aware of (but have not read) a story where a teenaged Lois breaks into Luthor's office to get a scoop in order to gain the notice of Perry White, but to have that followed on the timeline by her working full-time on the Planet as a reporter while going to night school to finish her journalism degree, all while becoming the star reporter in three years seemed a bit excessive to me. Or maybe Lois was just that good?

Any kind of sliding rule or ratio rule is going to cause more problems than it solves, so I think the best solution is to leave things vague.

Gregg Allinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2006 at 10:54pm | IP Logged | 6  

Gregg, I don't know.  You can go on and on about who SHOULD be the audience/target audience for mainstream comics, but all that really matters is who IS the audience for mainstream comics.  Sadly, I do not know the answer to this question.  I am 35 and STILL reading comics.  In a high school of 2100 students, I know of 2 who read or have read comics.  IF they are NOT the audience, then they SHOULD NOT be the target audience.

Huh?  So because the industry has become more insular and obsessed with pandering to aging fanboys, to the point where it's essentially at death's door, we should not target the audience that supported mainstream superhero comics for decades?

If WE are the audience, then (IMO) some steps should be taken towards allowing for our characters, because we do consider them to be our characters, to grow, develop, and change within continuity, in either one of two ways... 

Well, I can't speak for you, but while I do care very deeply about these characters, I don't consider them mine, nor should the creative team working on any given book (unless they did create the character/characters).  If a creator considers a character that they haven't created "theirs", they can (and, sadly, often do) trash the character on the flimsiest of premises. 

Stan Lee and JB have both spoken about the "illusion of change" as a goal on a mainstream superhero comic:  you want to keep things fresh, but not at the expense of the very things that characterize the character.  I always hold up JB's FF run as a great example:  the team got new uniforms, a new headquarters, a new member, two long-running characters started a serious relationship, and one even changed their code-name.  And yet, all of these changes could (and, with the exception of The Invisible Woman) be undone with next to no fuss.  It seemed fresh and new, but at the same time, it didn't piss all over the characters or change the FF into something that was completely unrecognizable as the title Lee and Kirby created.  Compare that to JMS's Spider-Man.  The character is no longer recognizable as the Stan Lee Spider-Man on any level.  Is that a good thing for the industry?  Unless I'm misunderstanding you, you believe it is.  Me?  Well, considering that virtually every Spider-Man project in other media- including the Sam Raimi films (which stray considerably from the source material)- has used some variation on the Stan Lee Spider-Man (eg young student Peter Parker, accidentally bitten by an altered spider, struggling to make a living and support Aunt May, etc.), I have to believe that's still the popular conception of Spider-Man.  I suppose an unwary new reader may wander into a comic book store next year and fall in love with the well-off armoured Spider-Totem avatar Spider-Man, but when you have a formula that works, why tinker with it, especially when the decline of the industry has suggested that altering the fundamental characteristics of a long running character alienates basically everyone except the most hardcore of hardcore fanboys?

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2006 at 11:23pm | IP Logged | 7  

Oh no!  Not the old 7-year rule arguments again!

Anytime you start trying to quantify time passed in comics, the whole mess just goes kablooey!  I like some semblance of continuity in comics, but when people start breaking it down to actual time that's when it takes a sad turn. "According to my calculations, that happened 4 years, 2 months, and 13 days ago in the comic."  Gleep!

Continuity should be like this: The current issue is happening now.  Last issue was before now. Twelve issues ago was sometime before that. That's really about as difficult as it should be.

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2006 at 11:32pm | IP Logged | 8  

When I was a young comics reader, the first thing I learned was ignore the passage of time.

I remember once I briefly grasped how comicbook time worked, but my puny mortal mind could not handle the truth so it faded away. 

In the end it is just best to ignore that whole can of worms.  Right now continuity should focus on the big picture.  

Spider-Man is Peter Parker.  He has an Aunt May.  He does not stab people with his spider claw.  Get that stuff straigtened out before worrying about what issue Electro made Spidey give up.   Crawl before you walk and walk before you run. 

Edited by Victor .R. Rodgers on 13 February 2006 at 11:40am

Gregg Allinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2006 at 11:51pm | IP Logged | 9  

Right now continuity should focus on the big picture.  

I forget the exact phrasing, but JB once said something to the effect of we only need enough continuity to make sure that Superman is always a Kryptonian in every issue and that his secret identity's always Clark Kent.  That's basically the way I feel- consistancy should be strived for, but if story A from 2006 doesn't precisely match up with story B from 2001, I don't mind, as long as the broad outlines are still there.  A lot of TV shows take this approach too...as I recall, Smithers on the Simpsons was originally black.  Then, one episode, he was white, and to the best of my knowledge, nobody ever made the changeover an important plot point.  Richie Cunningham originally had a brother.  Then, he didn't (in a very funny Nick at Nite ad from years ago, they showed a clip of Howard explicitly saying he only had two children).  Tom Baker and Graham Williams said in the 1970s, they never tried to intentionally subvert a past episode of Doctor Who, but by the same virtue, they were really only concerned with the current season.  There were tons of oddities in the early episodes of both the original Star Trek and Star Trek:  The Next Generation.  And yet nobody- outside of hardcore fandom, that is- raises a fuss.  If tonight's episode is entertaining enough, nobody's going to worry too much over the fact that it contradicted some minor fact revealed in an old episode.  Similiarly, if this week's comic is entertaining enough, nobody should particularly worry that it contradicted some minor fact revealed in an old issue.

Robert Last
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2006 at 3:00am | IP Logged | 10  

I think the example of spiderman is perfect for explaining this problem:

Was the initial Spider-totem idea a good one, and some of the best Spidey stories in twenty years? For me, yes.

Was it a good idea to focus on that, and give spidey great big 'ol stingers? Nope.

Leaving the spider totem as an open idea made for an interesting read, and created the illusion of change without actually changing anything really. As the Ezekiel character himself said (I'm paraphrasing a little), "What if the spider was on it's way to bite you and got hit by the radiation?"

What if...

My two cents?  I would have liked to have seen the Ezekiel character to have been part of the whole totem idea, and Peter to have "missed out" because the spider got zapped.. would have fit right in with Pete's whole bad luck thing :)

He wasn't pure, as said in the story arc.  So he could have had the powers without being involved further in the spider totem storyline, which would stay in the spiderman universe as simply an interesting idea.  No actual change, but a nice run of stories. The perfect "illusion of change"

Should he have married Mary Jane? well, that's a whole 'nother totem of worms :)

Lance Hill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2006 at 8:08am | IP Logged | 11  

The whole "4 published years = 1 year" idea is silly.

The only people who'd notice the 1 year advancement would be those who'd been reading for 4 years, and that 1 year usually doesn't make much of a difference.

Skipper Peterson being 16 rather than 14 isn't too big of a change from the original concept. But since the only people to actively experience the "growth" would be the readers who'd been there for 8 years, why bother?

Skippy Peterson being 24 rather than 14 IS A HUGE CHANGE from the original concept. And the only people to actively experience the "growth" would be those who had been READING IT FOR 40 YEARS!

Nobody demands this from Mickey Mouse, Daffy Duck and other everlasting corporate owned characters.

If you really want to see comic characters get older as the series progresses then maybe you should stop reading comics about corporate owned characters and start reading any finite creator owned comics that feature significant charcater ageing.

Why is it so hard for a lot of American comic fans to either just continue to appreciate their childhood favourites for what they are, or let them go and move on to more adult comics?

Why is their such a demand that their childhood favourites "grow up" with them?

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2006 at 8:12am | IP Logged | 12  

Nobody demands this from Mickey Mouse, Daffy Duck and other everlasting corporate owned characters.

****True, but then, you don't see much of these characters anymore.  They have lost a lot of relevance to today's kids/fans. They are corporate symbols, but few are paying for new adventures in this country (cartoons or comics). I am one of the few-I like the Uncle Scrooge and Mickey comics, and would buy their new cartoon adventures (of which there has been a few).

Not that i am saying a 50 year old Mickey would have fared better

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 18 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version