Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 18 Next >>
Topic: Q for Mr. Byrne: Jim Shooter (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2006 at 7:35pm | IP Logged | 1  

Theodore, You make some interesting points.

I'm not sure it works though to have time continually passing. Mark Gruenwald experimented that in his Mark's Remarks, but the idea of Peter Parker and others being replaced does not really appeal to me.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2006 at 7:42pm | IP Logged | 2  

QUOTE:

Just tell me you were never in the service.  Tell me that I do not have to change my position that little ladies like yourself will never have the balls to do something about anything, that all you can do is bitch...

Does that red sweater itch?

Back to Top profile | search

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2006 at 7:44pm | IP Logged | 3  

Thank you, Rob.  I too see the flaws within my suggestion.  Spider-man readers, for example, want to read about Siper-man, not someone else.  However, it would take 80 years for Peter to go from 16 to 36.  I am only 35 and still in pretty good shape.  I think Peter could still be at it at 36.  I think right now Bats and Superman are about 33-34-34.  If you were ever to get to the point where the hero got too old, I simply think a Byrne-like re-boot is a better way of going about it, then needing a crisis or contradicting continuity within a published series.

For example, Spider-man would be what 25-26 today if he had follwed my rule?  That is not too bad if you ask me, and it would have provoded a guided structure to pregnancies and the passage of time.  How old is Peter today anyway, Rob?  I would like to know.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2006 at 7:46pm | IP Logged | 4  

Not anymore, Victor.  I left it overseas.

Jason Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2006 at 7:47pm | IP Logged | 5  

Sadly, I couldn't go into the service for health reasons. I have to admit, I had a nice chuckle that my bit of e-thuggery riled you up though!

What would you do in regards to character growth within titles? 

I would hire writers that actually understand the concept of 'the illusion of change', and then all of that other stuff you prattled on about wouldn't be necessary.

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2006 at 7:50pm | IP Logged | 6  

At least you guys are not picking on all my typos (typoes?)!

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2006 at 7:57pm | IP Logged | 7  

Me too, Jason.  I am a bit surprised at myself.  My biggest problem with your "Wrong" is that my 4 year rule is about right on with what we actually have in comics.  Look at the first 40 years of FF, about 10 years had passed, no?  My point is that if you made it a rule, you would get the same growth but constant within the series between creators.

I know JB is against this idea, but when you look at what you could do within 80 years of publishing, I think you could make a rule like this work very well.  Superman could easily have a twenty year or more career.  The only character who might be hurt by this is Batman and finally seeing Robin inherit the mantle of the Bat would make it worth it...to me ;-)

Shit, even if you wanted a new earth in the multiverse, you wouldn't need one but every 100 years!  You would be lucky to see one in your lifetime.

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2006 at 8:02pm | IP Logged | 8  

I love it when I sound like I am trying to convince you, like it matters or something.

Scratch that last Crisis comment.  I did not mean it.

And I do not know that JB is against this.  I only think he is from other things I have read here.

Comment #2 makes #1 even less of a point.  I htink not worrying about continuity so much when series are not even published is the biggest source of confusion in comics and the biggest cause of always needing to fix something.  Why worry about that which is usually ignored anyway.

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2006 at 8:03pm | IP Logged | 9  

How old is Peter today anyway, Rob?  I would like to know.

In my opinon, approximately 24-26.  That would make him SPider-man for 8-10 years or so and time to graduate from college and be newly married.

I used to hear Marvel considered him anywhere from 22-26 (it would be different each time I heard it).

On the other hand, Bendis has said I've heard that he believes Spider-man to be 30-though I don't believe anything  in the stories sets this as true and I think it is too old.

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2006 at 8:17pm | IP Logged | 10  

Well, under the rule, he would have been Spider-man for 10 years so far.  I believe he became Siper-Man when he was 16, so he would be about 26 or so.

If this is what we have anyway, the rule would only have governed the passage of the same amount of time, which would have been more important when the writers and artists changed on the series.

What about Superman?  Do you think 5 years has passed since JB did Superman #1?  What was he, 28 or 29 then?  What is he, 33 or 34 now?  Is this about right?  The big problem comes with if you want him to close in on 40.  How old was George Reeves?  How old did Supermanlook when penciled by Wayne Boring and Curt Swan?  I think he could go to at least 50.

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2006 at 8:22pm | IP Logged | 11  

Except for JB stories, I think he usually appears mid-30s.  I'm not sure, except for the odd story, he should get much older than that

Interesting idea though-tell 10-20 years worth of stories in the characters lives under your rule by then everyone reading would be gone (after 40-80 years) then start again with #1s and the character being young again. 

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2006 at 8:24pm | IP Logged | 12  

If you add up the years everytime the passage of time is mentioned, Peter is 27.  But that road leads to maddness, he's 22.

Edited by Victor .R. Rodgers on 12 February 2006 at 8:25pm

<< Prev Page of 18 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version