Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Brett Breeding Q for Anybody/ Everybody (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2011 at 7:41pm | IP Logged | 1  

never ever saw Brett's work as a replica of Rubinstein's

I collected Supeman during Dan Jurgens' run and could easily tell when Rubinstein inked instead of Brett.

Couple years ago I had Joe recreate a Jurgens/Breeding Superman cover for my in pencil, this was the result

Mark you there's a big difference between inking pencils and lightboxing and penciling but its the diference between the 2 images I expected knowing Rubinstein's inking
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2011 at 8:51pm | IP Logged | 2  

Breeding also inked Frenz for Spider-Man's black costume's first appearance.
Back to Top profile | search

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2011 at 12:08am | IP Logged | 3  

Yes. Joe Rubinstein was the main inker of Frenz's Spider-Man run, but Breeding managed to ink 4 or 5 issues, the most notable of which is the one Brian mentioned.
I would have loved to see Brett inking John Byrne. For some reason, I tend to think Hidden Years would be a good place for such a pairing...
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2011 at 8:17am | IP Logged | 4  

Good call, Thanos. That would've been nice, I think.

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2011 at 1:09pm | IP Logged | 5  

And welcome to our newest forum member...Brett Breeding!!

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2011 at 1:45pm | IP Logged | 6  

I can see similarities between Brett and Joe's work.  Both bring a smooth / supple line and finish and both tend to be instantly recognizable over any penciler's work.  I like both of their inking styles quite a bit... they both always produced / produce reliably excellent work.

Pierre Villeneuve
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2011 at 2:20am | IP Logged | 7  

Brett Breeding's work did remind me of Bob Layton's work.

His work on Superman with Kerry Gammill... or on Action Comics with Perez was GREAT. Damn that was great comics.

In the case of Joe Rubenstein... the one inker whose work remind's me of Joe's work is Jose Marzan JR. If I was a betting man... I would wager that Jose might have started as Joe's assistant ??... or something like that.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Armindo Macieira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2011 at 4:50am | IP Logged | 8  

Kerry Gammil... now that's a name I haven't heard in a while! A very underrated artist imo...

About Breeding, he gave me a Layton feeling, specially in textures.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brett Breeding
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2011 at 10:29am | IP Logged | 9  

Hey Guys - I'm not dead, I'm still over here! I have to say the last place I would expect to find a discussion about my work is on the John Byrne forums. John probably thinks so too. Thanks for all the kind words,  I am always amazed to find that I have fans who not only remember my work, but liked it.

For the record, I started out as a bit of a Bob Layton clone, part of being his background assistant I guess. In fact, "the clone" was Layton and Jim Shooter's nickname for me when I worked for Bob. After that I became friends with Rubinstein who taught me a great deal about drawing, anatomy and inking in general. My stuff started to look more like Joe's for a while. Eventually I moved more towards my long-time favorites Palmer, Janson and Giordano. My run on Thor and early Superman stuff with Gammill and Perez was heavily influenced by Palmer.  Once I moved to Jurgens, my Giordano and Janson influence creeped in, along with some Jerry Ordway. These days my art directors need me to work in a Hughes-Sook-sorta-style. I 'm really an amalgam of all these influences and tend to adjust my ink style to best fit the pencils I am working over. The work I did with Ron Frenz on Avengers Next, some of my very last published editorial work, was probably the closest thing to "my style" as I would define it.

Yesterday, when this discussion first came to my attention, I saw a post (which seems to have been removed?) were the poster stated that he would have liked to see me ink John Byrne pencils.  Ironically, after thirty plus years in comics, I have never had that opportunity and it remains one of my biggest professional regrets.  John was one of my all time favorite artists, and still is. I would love to ink his stuff.

Thanks again for remembering. 

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2011 at 10:46am | IP Logged | 10  

I treasure my Justice League of America issues drawn by Don Heck and inked by Brett. An interesting mesh of two distinct styles.

Really great comics that they just don't make anymore (sigh).

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2011 at 12:03pm | IP Logged | 11  

Brett Breeding wrote:
After that I became friends with Rubinstein who taught me a great deal about drawing, anatomy and inking in general...

So, I'm not crazy!!!

Cool to hear from you, Brett. I've been a fan of yours for quite some time.

Edited by Brian Miller on 08 July 2011 at 12:04pm

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2011 at 12:04pm | IP Logged | 12  

Brett wrote:
I saw a post (which seems to have been removed?) were the poster stated that he would have liked to see me ink John Byrne pencils.

Still there. Posts 15 and 16.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version