Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: When/Where did everyone begin Collecting/Buying? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2006 at 10:52am | IP Logged | 1  

I've been thinking about my first comic book purchase and how it shaped my 42 yr. old collecting habits to this day.   I was 8 or 9 when I remember buying my first comic with my own money...an issue of HOT STUFF at a local pharmacy.  From there it was a 25 cent giant BATMAN (with Mirror Batman).  But it was a few years later when I discovered MARVEL TALES & WORLD'S GREATEST COMICS  (reprinting Amazing Spidey and FF respectivley) made me realize a bunch of characters were inhabiting the same universe!  Spider-Man became my fave and my first regular issue was AMAZING 144.

Looking back, Hot Stuff made me like things cartoony: Carl Barks & Peter Bagge (at the opposite ends of the spectrum but still "cartoony")

Mirror Batman: anything silly and weird; which is...a lot of stuff really!

Spider-Man:  Why I still buy his titles today. (A hopeless romantic!)

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 January 2006 at 10:54am | IP Logged | 2  

The High Street, West Bromwich, England, 1956!

Back to Top profile | search

Gary Hart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2006 at 11:02am | IP Logged | 3  

I started in 1972...I'm 44 now, so, that would've been around 11 or so.

Some of the first books I bought were FF #128 (the first I think), Iron Man #54, Hulk #157, MTU #7, Amazing Spidey #118, Avengers #105

The first X Book I bought was...#79 I believe (remember they were in REPRINTS then!)..the one with the Cobalt Man...

THe X Men confused the HECK out of me at the time...cause the Beast was...Hairy AND Smooth (in the reprints), and ...they kept switching costumes on them! Often using the ORIGINAL Blue & Yellow ones...
e.g.  the used the "Newer" ones in Avengers #110-111, the "Older" in Capt Amer #172-175 & Hulk #172 and almost NONE AT ALL(!) in MTU #4

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Scott Michael
Byrne Robotics Member
Membership Terminated

Posted: 10 January 2006 at 11:07am | IP Logged | 4  

Milwaukee -- Hulk #4 (the first series) was my first comic. Of course, I had read many DCs in the barber shop beforehand. I was blown away by Kirby's Hulk and became a Marvel fanatic.

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2006 at 11:07am | IP Logged | 5  

Browser's Bookstore, Olympia WA, 1973: World's Finest #s 221 & 222,
featuring the Super-sons of Superman and Batman.

I had bought comics before that, off and on, and had been reading some
my older brother would pick up occassionally, but didn't start going out
to buy comics up until then. For some reason those comics spoke to me,
and I was bitten.
It was only a matter of months that I was picking up any DC back issues I
could get from this used bookstore, and new comics from the various
other bookstores and drug stores in town. I remember spending hours
every day after school going to the usual haunts on my rounds: drug
stores every Tuesday and Thursday when they would get new comics, the
bookstores every Friday because they were a longer bike ride.
And a couple of years later when I had a newspaper route (which let me
afford all of the books I was getting) I would read the books while I
delivered the paper.
And then a couple of years later, a local comic collector opened up a
comics shop in town that let me shop for all of the new comics and used
comics in one place. I fondly remember being introduced to JB's work thru
that shop.

Joe Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2006 at 11:08am | IP Logged | 6  

It was in 5th grade where I started collecting my own.  Before that I swiped my older brother's.  When possible I would beg, borrow and steal rides to a little place here in Des Moines called The Comiclogue.  The owner Ken, could be a huge jerk, but he was always super nice to me, even though he generally hated childeren as a rule.  I think I always tried to be very careful and coureous and always bought.  I went there pretty regularly till I was about 17 and a shop opened much closer to me that gave me free bags and boards.  That was Dragon Fire comics.  The owners were super nice.  Of course I also had Comics Plus that a friend of mine owned, but their selection wasn't quite a varied. 

When I couldn't get to a shop, I picked up comics at Waldenbooks back in the elementry school years, which is where I buy most of my individual issues today.  Full circle.

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2006 at 11:11am | IP Logged | 7  

I can't remember when or where or what my first comic was, but my earliest memories of comics were cutting up issues of FANTASTIC FOUR and AMAZING SPIDER-MAN with scissors back in the mid-to-late 70's!  I'd cut out the figures and then create my own stories.  I don't know how many comics I destroyed this way, but when I was about nine or ten I discovered tracing paper, and then I could actually save the comics to read again!

When I started buying them myself I had to frequent several places, because each store had different comics.  Between weekly trips to the grocery store a few miles away with mom, I would pedal my bike to the couple places around town to pick up the rest.

Damn, those were fun times...

James C. Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2006 at 11:12am | IP Logged | 8  

My half-brother had left some comics at the house when he went to the army, so I was reading them before I was buying them. First one I ever bought was the JLoA issue with the Queen Bee and Batgirl at the Rexall drug store within walking distance of the house.

Edited by James C. Taylor on 10 January 2006 at 7:37pm

John OConnor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2006 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 9  

the first was a reprint of the Spiderman issue when Foswell dies -- I still chuckle at Spidey caling the Kingpin "tubby" -- I loved it so much, took my other <ugh> quarter, and ran back & bought JLA 100 - with a great Nick Cardy Cover. The store is now an aluminum siding place tho'

Brendan Howard
Byrne Robotics Member
FAQ Master Supreme

Posted: 10 January 2006 at 11:34am | IP Logged | 10  

I grew up in Omaha, Nebraska. When I first started buying new comics in 1979, I got them from a spinner rack at Osko Drugs (sic, it was a small local family-owned chain) at 72nd and Maple Street and sometimes at Keystone Drugs at about 74th and Maple. Most supermarkets carried comics at that time, so I occasionally talked my mom into buying one for me at the checkout stand.

In 1981 or so, I discovered a comic shop called Dragon's Lair a few miles away from my house (83rd and Blondo) where I walked every week for most of my teen years. That shop is still there, has expanded considerably over the years, and to my knowledge still has the same owner.

Edited by Brendan Howard on 10 January 2006 at 11:53am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Mike Purdy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2006 at 11:47am | IP Logged | 11  

Jean's Variety Store in Colborne, Ontario roughly 1978-79.  They had all sorts of comics on a spinner rack.  My brother and I used to get a dollar a week for allowance.  We'd each buy 2 comics, a bag of chips and a pop.  Ahhhh, those were the days. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Martin Kogan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2006 at 11:47am | IP Logged | 12  

September 1991, the Argentine edition of Man of Steel Nº1 by JB at a newsstand. By the way, over here the national editions of Marvel and DC comics are sold at newsstands
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version