Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 50 Next >>
Topic: Amazing Spider-Man now with spoilers (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2005 at 9:27pm | IP Logged | 1  

I gotta agree with Ronald Pegram, and Glen Greenberg on this one - it's all just comic book stuff, and as long as they make it all good in the end, then I'm OK with it.

To me, this isn't much different than killing Superman!

-Mark

Edited by Mark McKay on 25 November 2005 at 9:27pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2005 at 9:31pm | IP Logged | 2  

"It's either ok to have a character eat the flesh of another character in a comic with all-ages characters or it aint."

OK in BOTD did Superman, Batman or Wonder Woman eat human flesh or get eaten? No.

If it was a character other than Spider-Man who got eaten, there would be no controversy at all.

By the way you phrased and stretched your response I can tell you see it the same way too, so let's drop this, please.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2005 at 9:34pm | IP Logged | 3  

"To me, this isn't much different than killing Superman!"

Uh, they didn't eat the corpse.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2005 at 9:48pm | IP Logged | 4  

" A writer would go over the line if Spider-Man is sexually abused, and an artist would go over the line if he/she were to show organs being pulled out."

So it would be OK if Lex Luthor pulled off Superman's nipples off-camera ?

Chris Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2005 at 10:00pm | IP Logged | 5  

And just to bring up the same point I thought of with IDENTITY CRISIS, now that you've had a villain rip out Spider-Man's eye...what do you do the next time you want to "get people talking"?
Maybe they'll do what madonna did when she did all of her shocking stuff and had di it all.
Become a paragon of virtue and go totally conservative.

After raping and murdering Sue Dibney, we found out what DC thought they had to do...blow Blue Beetle's head off in panel.

I wonder what M****l will come up with.

I also wonder if the people doing M****l comics today really think these comics won't be published 10 years from now, so what does it matter?

Mike

I honestly don't think comics will make it if they keep this up, the artform will but eventually people will get tired of heroes and situatuions that are morally ambiguous and tarnish all that went before.

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2005 at 10:25pm | IP Logged | 6  

"To me, this isn't much different than killing Superman!"

Uh, they didn't eat the corpse

Nope just implied his reanimated body parts were grafted onto metallic/robotic system-the Cyborg.

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2005 at 10:30pm | IP Logged | 7  

and has his buds write 4 to 5 books

Assuming you are referring to who I think you are, they write the best selling comics at the place. 

Everything said about Marvel could be said about DC. Rapes? Check.  Special covers? check.  Huge cross-overs forcing you to buy a million books? Check/ Violent books? check. Sex? check Late books? Check Yet the attacks on DC seem limited to the particular works or creators involved. With Marvel it is the whole organization.

Edited by Rob Hewitt on 25 November 2005 at 10:33pm

James Wright
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2005 at 11:23pm | IP Logged | 8  

Spider-Man would be better off dead at this point.  Kill him, reboot him.  Just make him Spider-Man again, please.
Back to Top profile | search

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 November 2005 at 1:47am | IP Logged | 9  

I have a great idea, there's the being called the anti-monitor and he's destroying all the universes in marvel, the ultimate, knights and regular universe and when he's done all the history will be started over again.

Don't you mean the "Contra-Watcher"? WInk! WInk! Wink!

No, I'm happy this happened. Now Spider-Man can get all grim and cruel and become the unstoppable homocidal untouchable ninja of death that he was always meant to be. He can beat the snot out of wolverine and choke his enemies to death with web garottes and leave their mummified corpses haging from webs all over the city.  He can get morally lost and join the Hand for a couple of weeks to get some occult assassin cred and learn Japanese. Mary Jane can become a killer cyborg. Imagine how awesome it will be when he pulls the Kingpins bowels out with his spider-strength and says "I'm not Peter. Not anymore." Why they'll be able to milk scene that in flash backs for another twenty years at least! Now that he can control bugs he can sic whole swarms of deadly spiders onto villains and leave them all poisoned up and apralyzed.

Or maybe now that he's got one eye he can become the new Odin. Or he can go to Latveria and Doom can give him Zorba's old eye giving him the ability to shoot nega beams,

Meh. I'm all out of sarcasm. Spider-Cyclops.

Edited by Emery Calame on 11 December 2005 at 2:46pm

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 November 2005 at 2:57am | IP Logged | 10  

QUOTE:
Spider-Man would be better off dead at this point.  Kill him, reboot him.  Just make him Spider-Man again, please.

Agreed. Why am I a collector? Why have I the complete AMAZING collection (Italian edition, of course... I'm not billionaire!)? I hate all this stuff. I envy the newbies... They can think that all this is great.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 November 2005 at 5:57am | IP Logged | 11  

I have a great idea, there's the being called the anti-monitor and he's destroying all the universes in marvel, the ultimate, knights and regular universe and when he's done all the history will be started over again.

+++

Don't you mean the "Contra-Watcher"? WInk! WInk! Wink!

He's called the Shaper of Worlds.

Back to Top profile | search

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 November 2005 at 7:23am | IP Logged | 12  

Someday, I'll discover the truth about this Shaper of worlds story by Mackie and Byrne... Today, it would be a great idea. Goodbye old, ruined Spider-Man: a back to the basics begin!

<< Prev Page of 50 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version