Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Favorite writers (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2005 at 4:22pm | IP Logged | 1  

We did pencilers and inkers, so...(I'll again stop at ten, in no order).

Roy Thomas

Steve Englehart

Roger Stern

Paul Levitz

Geoff Johns

Cary Bates

Jim Shooter

Mark Waid

Denny O'Neil

Chuck Dixon

Back to Top profile | search

Steve Horton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2005 at 4:32pm | IP Logged | 2  

Comic book writers who don't draw are kinda like redheaded stepchildren in the comics industry.

That said, I've always thought Mike W. Barr was a great comics writer. His Star Trek and Batman & The Outsiders were great.

I've also liked Kurt Busiek's stuff for years. Ditto Christopher Priest and Tony Isabella.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 11 October 2005 at 4:33pm | IP Logged | 3  

This one is harder for me. There are writers I have really liked in the past that I haven't read any new material from in years that I may forget. There are new writers I'm enjoying now but I don't know if they will stay as all time favorites. I'll list ten in no particular order. I'll keep my listing to the writers that would draw me to buy their respective titles they are working on, current and past. This could be different next time I post.

• John Byrne
  • Stan Lee
  • Kurt Busiek
  • Frank Miller
  • Geoff Johns
  • Alan Moore
  • Roger Stern
  • Rick Veitch
  • Marv Wolfman
  • Neil Gaiman

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2005 at 4:58pm | IP Logged | 4  

My all time favorite: Chris Claremont.

John Byrne, Roy Thomas, Frank Miller, David Michelinie, Ann Nocenti, Louise Jones/Simonson, Walt Simonson, Stan Lee, Steve Englehart, Roger Stern, Lein Wein, Doug Moench, Bill Mantlo, Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, Jim Shooter (when he's good, cause when he's bad, he's one of the worse), Mark Gruenwald (same comment), Marv Wolfman, Tom DeFalco (mostly for his Machine Man mini with BWS and Herb Trimpe), Denny O'Neil, etc...

Grant Morrison is very talented but too unhealthy for me. His DC work is very good none the less, even if not always of my taste. but I despise his New X-men (excepted his first arc "E for Extinction", that I liked.)

Of Jack Kirby the writer I enjoyed a lot his Ten-For saga in Machine Man.

Edited by Stéphane Garrelie on 11 October 2005 at 5:06pm

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 11 October 2005 at 5:35pm | IP Logged | 5  

Hm, well, I've been on a hard-boiled streak lately, so I'll start with those:

Jim Thompson
Dashiell Hammett
James Ellroy
Raymond Chandler
James Cain
Cornell Wollrich
Charles Willeford

and then, I have a big soft spot for what we're rapidly calling "classic Americana" - so, here's those:

John Steinbeck (my fave)
JD Sallinger
William Faulkner
F Scott Fitzgerald

Tip of the hat to overseas, I love :

James Joyce
James Hilton

Just got my copy of Geldof in Africa, and between that, and his autobiography, I think Geldof's writing is top-notch.

Byrne, of course.

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 11 October 2005 at 5:38pm | IP Logged | 6  

Mike always love your sarcasm. Plus Of Mice and Men is my favorite story of all time. Count me in on the Steinbeck love.

Chris Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2005 at 5:44pm | IP Logged | 7  

Will Eisner
Kurt Busiek
John Byrne
Geoff Johns
Roger Stern
Mark Waid
Alan Moore
Grant Morrison

I'm sure there should be more but unfortunately I look at artists first and writers second except with Busiek and Moore, I'm sure I like other writers just as much but I always get caught up in a story art-wise first and sometimes don't take note of the writer.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jim Yingst
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2005 at 6:04pm | IP Logged | 8  

Sticking to comics writers only :), here's my list (roughly in the order I got into them):

Frank Miller
John Byrne
Peter David
Alan Moore
Neil Gaiman
Kurt Busiek
J Michael Straczynski
Brian Michael Bendis
Geoff Johns

Of course I don't like everything by these writers.  In particular I list JMS for Midnight Nation, Supreme Power, and Rising Stars - not for Spider-Man.  And Bendis is there for Powers, Alias, and Ultimate Spider-Man - not for Avengers Disassembled. 

Edited by Jim Yingst on 11 October 2005 at 6:10pm

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2005 at 6:14pm | IP Logged | 9  

LOL, you want litterature Mike?

Not 1 favorite, but many:

Victor Hugo, Balzac, Walter Scott, Jules Verne, Thomas Malory (and all the arthurian litterature: french prose-Lancelot, Chrétien de Troyes, Robert de Boron, etc...), Emile Zola, Alexandre Dumas, Homer, Stevenson, HG Wells, Dostoïevski, Dickens, etc...

Baudelaire, Byron, Verlaine, Hugo again, ...

Corneille, Racine, Shakespeare, Molière...

Grimm, Perrault, Andersen...

More contemporary: Ralph Ellison, Marguerite Duras, Frank Herbert, Tolkien, Edmund Hammilton, Raymond Chandler, Michael Moorcock, Robert E. Howard, Virginia Woolf, Yukio Mishima...

Favorite books: Le Morte Darthur, Ivanhoe, Journey to the center of the earth, Illusions Perdues (lost illusions), Les Fleurs du Mal, Le Cid, L' Amant (Duras' the lover), Dostoïevski's Crime et Châtiment, the french Prose-Lancelot, Mishima's Snow of Spring...

Edited by Stéphane Garrelie on 11 October 2005 at 7:32pm

Thomas Mets
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2005 at 6:29pm | IP Logged | 10  

My absolute favorites

1. Alan Moore (Watchmen, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Swamp Thing, Top Ten, His DCU work, From Hell)
2. Stan Lee (not because of his influence but because I really enjoyed Amazing Fantasy #15, Amazing Spider-Man #31-33, 50-59, Captain America #114-119, Daredevil Volume 1 #7, Fantastic Four Annual 3, and his masterpiece- Fantastic Four #48-51)
3. Frank Miller (Batman, Daredevil, Sin City, 300)
4. Neil Gaiman (Sandman's one of the best runs in comic book history, but I also loved Books of Magic)
5. Garth Ennis (Preacher, Punisher, Hellblazer)
6. Mark Millar (I honestly believe the Ultimates is the best book Marvel's published while I've been reading comics, and I've really enjoyed his Spider-Man, Wolverine, the Authority, and Chosen)
7. Kurt Busiek (Astro City, Avengers, Marvels)
8. Grant Morrison (7 Soldiers, New X-Men, Animal Man)
9. Roger Stern (For his Spider-Man run alone, I really want to read his Avengers & Doctor Strange/ Doctor Doom 1-shot)
10. Brian Michael Bendis (Daredevil, Alias, Powers, Ultimate Spider-Man)
11. Warren Ellis (Global Frequency, Planetary, The Authority)
12. Judd Winick (Barry Ween, Pedro & Me, I've dropped every other book of his that I've tried)
13. Peter David (X-Factor, Spider-Man, Hulk, Fallen Angel)
14. John Byrne (Fantastic Four, X-men plots, Superman, Next Men)
15. Chris Claremont (for X-Men work with John Byrne & others more than 20 years ago)

Incidentally, Shakespeare's plays could be adapted into comics really well.

Edited by Thomas Mets on 11 October 2005 at 6:30pm

Troy Nunis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2005 at 6:29pm | IP Logged | 11  

Working Right Now:

Gail Simone stands out as my favorite for current output.

Geoff Johns has been consistant but fading of late, and many worries about IC could lead to his becoming a curse word rather than a favorite writer.

Others current: at DC: JB of course - still tops in terms of bringing The Story to the table, and i'm enjoying the work of Andersen Gabrych. When it comes out, Planetary shows that Warren Ellis is CAPABLE of being one of the best Writers.

over at M***L, a few writers have managed to ease out some enjoyable reads dispite the editorial climate: Allan Heinberg, Joss Weadon, Tony Bedard, Fabian N., Dan Slott, Chrintina Weir and Nunzio DePhillips.  Claremont is still Claremont, good with the right Editorial and Artistic voices around him.  All of these are writers i would investigate whatever they were working on to some degree.

Others who sadly, don't have much current work but i look for when they do: John Ostrander, Mike W. Barr, and Roger Stern. Probalby forgetting others.

John Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2005 at 6:36pm | IP Logged | 12  

Comic favorites are Stan Lee and Roger Stern, outside the field, Edgar Allan Poe, Harlan Ellison, Clive Barker and Robert Crais.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version