Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: "Spider-Man 2" on Cable (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Robot Wrangler

Posted: 06 June 2005 at 5:01am | IP Logged | 1  

Tried watching this last night. Keyword: tried. All the sins of the first one were present, of course, but worse in an "action movie" I found myself bored for long stretches at a time! Here are some of my problems, apart from those I had with the first:

°Every scene seemed too long, points labored, "gags" beaten to death

°The computer animation was dreadful. Five years since "Final Fantasy" and these stiff-limbed, flat faced puppets are the best they could do?

°Jonah was perfect in the first. In this, he's a pompous clown

°Parker has "lost his powers" but survives a twenty story fall that bends the roof of the car he lands on

°Spider-Man strains to pull Aunt May up on a webline!!

°Aunt May survives that scene!

°The "talking" tentacles.

°Peter's not smart enough to make webspinners, but is smart enough to check Ock's science on a fusion generator?

°Ock orders Peter to find Spider-Man, then does to him what would kill or permanently cripple a normal human

°Conveniently on again/off again powers. Bad Writing 101

Rogie sez...

Back to Top profile | search | www

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2005 at 5:07am | IP Logged | 2  

I was really liking the movie for about the first hour - couldn't find much to
complain about, and trust me I was looking for something!
But from the moment he first "lost his powers" I thought the movie went
downhill from there. I didn't register the scene with Aunt May I guess.
But apparently the moviemakers confused Spider-Man with Superman, with
those ridiculous falls he kept surviving, and being able to stop a speeding
train.

I also hated that he was such a loose goose concerning his secret identity.
Back to Top profile | search

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2005 at 5:10am | IP Logged | 3  

I've yet to see this movie...I wasn't greatly inspired by the first beyond the "razzle-dazzle" of seeing a Spiderman character in a film with computer effects rather than a stage set on it's side!

If it was on, I wouldn't avoid watching it. However scens like those you describe where there are oversights such as on-and-off powers begin to grate quite quickly.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Ian Evans
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2005 at 5:56am | IP Logged | 4  

The loss of his powers comes directly from an early Lee/Ditko Spider-man story...Spidey loses his powers for no reason (ends up hanging from a flagpole and having to inch his way to the building) before regaining his powers, again for no reason that is ever explained.  I liked this plot device for this very reason - that I remembered it from an early issue.  But then I loved this movie...

Edit:typo

Edited by Ian Evans on 06 June 2005 at 5:56am

Cory Vandernet
Byrne Robotics Member
Henchman

Posted: 06 June 2005 at 6:12am | IP Logged | 5  

I didn't like the "Loss of powers" subplot at all, and the sound of Spider-Man "shooting blanks" disturbed me.

Ross Morrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2005 at 6:56am | IP Logged | 6  

Well...I have to say that I felt your ASM run was vastly superior to what Marvel has since done to the character...but I personally still found the movies truer to the original spirit of the strip than your 'Chapter One' series.  The thing that did annoy me in the movies was that MJ found out who he was this early ( apparently this annoyed you too?).  As far as I'm concerned, that's really the end of the whole saga.

[Edited to removed superfluous quote]

Edited by John Byrne on 06 June 2005 at 6:58am

John Byrne
Robot Wrangler

Posted: 06 June 2005 at 6:57am | IP Logged | 7  

I personally still found the movies truer to the original spirit of the strip than your 'Chapter One' series.

Any specifics?

Back to Top profile | search | www

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2005 at 7:18am | IP Logged | 8  

I have seen it when it arrived in Italy on autumn, 2004. I didn't like it as the first movie.

Sometimes, it seems a comedy. And I'm not talking about Spidey's jokes, but about certain scenes... They seem ridicoulous. Do you remember aunt May saving Spidey with her umbrella? Sigh. And what about all these women crying? It seems that anywhere in NY women are able only to cry!
There are good moments, too, but when I was looking at the screen I often believed to see a trash movie.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joe S. Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2005 at 7:35am | IP Logged | 9  

Ian Evans wrote:

The loss of his powers comes directly from an early Lee/Ditko Spider-man story...Spidey loses his powers for no reason (ends up hanging from a flagpole and having to inch his way to the building) before regaining his powers, again for no reason that is ever explained.

Annual #1 with the Sinister Six. In the story, Peter's powers disappear when he's feeling remorseful about Uncle Ben and then come back instinctively when he's attacked by Electro, so the implication is that he never really loses them, just the self-confidence to use them.

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2005 at 7:44am | IP Logged | 10  

Joe S. Walker wrote:

Annual #1 with the Sinister Six. In the story, Peter's powers disappear when he's feeling remorseful about Uncle Ben and then come back instinctively when he's attacked by Electro, so the implication is that he never really loses them, just the self-confidence to use them.

A similar event happened in ASM #200, too. In the previous issue Mysterio uses a drugged tiny arrow to kill Spider-Man, but he doesn't die. The drug has removed his powers from him, but actually it's only a psichological trick: during the story Spidey does whatever a spider can (heh), except wall crawling, because he really believes to be powerless.

Brendan Howard
Byrne Robotics Member
FAQ Master Supreme

Posted: 06 June 2005 at 8:13am | IP Logged | 11  

I had similar issues with the power-loss storyline (I would have preferred that Peter give up being Spider-Man by choice, and not by circumstance). Also, the scene with Aunt May in peril was a little hard to take in a movie, because it seemed to me that she would have been easily killed being jerked around like that. On a comic page, the physics would not have been so obvious.

On JB's other problems, I tend to disagree. I thought the pacing and tone of SPIDER-MAN 2 were excellent when I first saw it in theatres, and I'm still a big fan of the movie after 3 screenings on DVD. I liked Jonah, I liked the examination of Peter's genius, I thought the "talking tentacles" worked cinematically, and I wasn't distracted by any wonky effects (to which I'm generally quite sensitive). To each their own, I guess!

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Chris Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2005 at 8:34am | IP Logged | 12  

I liked the part with the subway train, but there were big gaps of logic in the story, but I liked watching it.

Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version