Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: 20 Years and 9 Days Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2024 at 5:24am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

...I swear I marked the proper date on my phone's To Do app, but...

This day marks 20 years and 9 days (hence the topic title, wow!) for me on the JBF.

What can I possibly say, apart from "what a ride?"

Well, I can say that this is possibly the one place I can call home on the Internet.

This is a place I've checked in on an almost daily basis for two-thirds of the time I've been online.

It's where I go when I want to see civil discussion about comics, film, TV and social and political issues when I've had enough of the snarky "you're-an-idiot-and-everything-you-like-is-wrong" atmosphere of so-called social media.

It's what social media should ideally be. A moderated forum, not policed by a billionaire megalomaniac's crazed algorithms and the whims of people who are bored, lonely, sadistic or all of the above.

Most importantly, it's the one place where you can interact with one of the greatest creators in comics. In person. (I can still remember jumping up from my chair and taking a little stroll around the room when JB first replied to one of my comments!)

OK. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed just trying to describe how much I've enjoyed all of it: the artwork, commissioned and otherwise produced (ELSEWHEN, especially, is a true wonder), all the stories from the depths of comic-book history in the past 50 years or so, all the insights shared about matters common to humankind in general...

I'm rambling, so time to close.

THANK YOU to JB, the Mods, and everyone else here.

Onward!

Edited by Aki Himmanen on 25 April 2024 at 5:26am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2024 at 3:12am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Holy crap! The 20th Anniversary of this Forum blew by me, also.

Crazy to think that I've been on some form of JB forum for exactly half my life, now.
Back to Top profile | search

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2024 at 5:15am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

But I just got here!

Dave Pruitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2024 at 10:11am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Yeah, this Friday marks 21 years of the John Byrne Forum and I see by the post counter that recently we passed one million posts. Amazing. Keep up the good work.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 April 2024 at 1:11pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

It’s a shame so much negative mythology has evolved around this site. It’s “difficult to navigate” and posters are banned for microscopic infractions. Neither are true, of course.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2024 at 1:17pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I sometimes meet people online who want to know about X-Men or Fantastic Four, and I've sent them here. I talked up ELSEWHEN and referred people to the galleries to find art for characters they like.

The loudest angry voices are often the minority and the most-outraged and negative are often those who broke the rules first. I enjoy being here and haven't been shy about saying so when opportunity arises.  

Edited by Andrew Bitner on 30 April 2024 at 1:20pm

Steven Queen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2024 at 1:55pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Happy Anniversary!  This site was an amazing find for me.  How rare for a creator to make himself so accessible.

It goes without saying that the Elsewhen run was something quite rare.  A dream come true.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 April 2024 at 5:08pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

It still amazes me how many people were totally unaware of ELSEWHEN. And many who did know about it complained that it was, yes, hard to navigate.

Those who weren’t busy complaining that it wasn’t in color.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2024 at 5:15pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I'm a bit bummed that I missed joining on the Inception Date by 1.

I'm also now fascinated with the post ratio on profiles. I'm just over 1 post per day for the past 20 years. I wonder how many folks hold the At-Least-One-A-Day title?

Since avatars haven't been showing on posts for years, I completely forgot that I made mine an image of Father Valenti(!!!!!!!!!) from DOOMSDAY.1.*

* Amusing because I since did something that men rarely do - I changed my last name to Santoro when I married my wife 2 years ago - so to anyone that sees comments from Vincent Santoro on Facebook Byrne groups - that's me. I didn't see the need to change my name on the forum, plus the ol' Marvel-style alliterative name just feels right here.

Edited by Vinny Valenti on 30 April 2024 at 5:17pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 April 2024 at 6:07pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Amusing because I since did something that men rarely do - I changed my last name to Santoro when I married my wife 2 years ago - so to anyone that sees comments from Vincent Santoro on Facebook Byrne groups - that's me. I didn't see the need to change my name on the forum, plus the ol' Marvel-style alliterative name just feels right here.

•••

Since I don’t think women should feel compelled to take their husband’s name when marrying, I don’t know WHAT to make of this!!

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2024 at 6:31pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Twenty years seems a fairly long time for the internet. I first logged on to something called the internet a little over forty years ago (not on my computer, didn't get one of my own until late 1999). You had to physically put the telephone on a box and all you got was screens of text, but there were some sf writers typing into them and you could even type back; heady stuff!

I hope keeping me around despite infractions speaks well for the forum. I really do mean well. :^/

Jansen is my family name and the best I would ever do would be to hyphenate, like my Aunt in Holland was Jansen-Koster. How does Rebecca Jansen-Forrey sound? :^)

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2024 at 7:24pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

"Since I don’t think women should feel compelled to take
their husband’s name when marrying, I don’t know WHAT to
make of this!!"

I have friends who took each others! They both hyphenate.

Edited by Trevor Smith on 30 April 2024 at 7:25pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version