Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: Best Match Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2021 at 8:03am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Bouncing off of something touched on in another thread, I was musing about which artists are the best match for which characters.  Not necessarily the favorite artist or artist most known for a certain book, which artist's version of a character/team immediately comes to mind?  While I would LOVE to see Neal Adams or John Byrne on just about any book, other artists might FIT a certain book better.  Here's my Marvel picks:

SPIDER-MAN--John Byrne (but, gee, I loved Ditko and Romita!)
FANTASTIC FOUR--John Buscema/Sinnott
HULK--Herb Trimpe/John Severin
CAPTAIN AMERICA--Sal Buscema (but Byrne is oh so close!)
AVENGERS--George Perez
X-MEN--John Byrne (for the old team OR the Uncanny team!)
DR. STRANGE--Steve Ditko (but Byrne, Starlin, or Miller on a long run could change my mind!)
DAREDEVIL--Frank Miller (though Gene Colan's and Gil Kane's were fantastic)
THOR--Tie between John Buscema (realized) and John Byrne (hoped for)!
IRON MAN--I don't know!  Byrne, Colan, and Romita Jr./Layton are all just right--in different ways!
CONAN--John Buscema

Neal Adams--But his CONAN is right there, one of the best things he's done (and that's saying a lot).  And his IRON FIST would be perfect!
George Tuska--Nobody gave LUKE CAGE the same verve.  Also liked his Tony Stark.
Jack Kirby--He gets DR. DOOM, probably SILVER SURFER, and (how do I say this so it doesn't sound obnoxious?) right up there on CAPTAIN AMERICA and FANTASTIC FOUR (would have liked to see a full HULK run).
John Byrne--Nobody's SCARLET WITCH is better; ditto GALACTUS and SHE-HULK; and I don't think I've enjoyed anybody's RED SONJA more!  Maybe NAMOR (but J. Buscema, Bill Everett, and Wally Wood are tough competition).
Gene Colan--He's the best on BLACK WIDOW, HOWARD THE DUCK, and CLEA.  He could have made SON OF SATAN something lasting.
Dave Cockrum--I'll give him PROF. X, MS. MARVEL, (based on covers) HERCULES and POWERMAN/IRON FIST--and oh what could have been on JOHN CARTER, WARLORD OF MARS!
Rich Buckler--Of course DEATHLOK, but I also thought his KILLRAVEN would have been great!
Jim Starlin & Bill Sienkiewicz--Anything they spent time on!
Jim Steranko & Paul Gulacy--Of course their NICK FURY and SHANG CHI are two of the best things ever, but I have to wonder--what if they switched?

Some favorites that I never quite saw the perfect artist on--SPIDER-WOMAN, GHOST RIDER, and DEFENDERS (though I LOVED Sal Buscema/Klaus Janson!).

Edited by Eric Jansen on 14 November 2021 at 8:27am
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2021 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

FF: JB
Avengers: Big John Buscema
Spider-Man: Jazzy John Romita
Daredevil: David Mazzuchelli
Captain Britain: Alan Davis
Marvel Girl: Jackson Guice

Craig Earl
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2021 at 11:20am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Sub-Mariner - Paul Smith
Dr Strange -  Barry Windsor-Smith
Conan - John Bolton
Silver Surfer - Bob McLeod
Nicky Fury & SHIELD - Frank Hampson
Avengers - Mike Zeck

The others have already been done, JB on FF, AF & X-Men, Miller on DD, Layton on Iron Man, Perez on Avengers

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2021 at 1:06pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Dave Cockrum - Legion of Super-Heroes (I just loved Dave's take on the series)

Byrne - Doctor Strange (after seeing his take on Strange in the FF, and Namor, I wanted to see a series)

Steve Rude - Thor (Godstorm was soooo good), the Fourth World (Rude has a way of capturing Kirby yet keeping his own style)

Wally Wood inks on Kirby's OMAC

Bill Everett over Kirby's Forever People

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2021 at 1:35pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Off the top of my head that haven't already been mentioned;

Thor- Keith Pollard
Iron Man- George Perez. Love the way he does metal.
Silver Surfer- John Buscema
Hawkeye- Mike Netzer
Wonder Man- John Byrne (all costumes)
Nova- Sal Buscema

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2021 at 3:46pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

My DC choices:

BATMAN--Neal Adams (but Jim Aparo is right there!)
SUPERMAN--Curt Swan (it's a push with Adams and Garcia-Lopez, but Swan's Clark Kent and that whole world beat out the rest)
WONDER WOMAN--Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez (his covers showed her the best)
FLASH--Neal Adams (again, based on covers; though I loved the Irv Novick issues)
GREEN LANTERN--Kane, Grell, Adams...not sure which stands out the best; would have liked to see a Jim Starlin run
GREEN ARROW--Neal Adams!
AQUAMAN--Jim Aparo
HAWKMAN--Jim Starlin (based on one issue; sorry, Joe Kubert wasn't the best on the space adventures)
JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA--Dick Dillin could handle everybody!
JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA--Wally Wood
THE SHADOW--Mike Kaluta!  No one else can compare!
DOC SAVAGE--I would have liked to see Rich Buckler take a stab at this.

Never saw the perfect artist for THE ATOM, SUPERGIRL, BATGIRL, ROBIN, CHALLENGERS OF THE UNKNOWN, DOOM PATROL (except JB's ROBOT MAN was the best), NEW/TEEN TITANS (Adams did great on the old team and of course Perez on the new), and LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES (though Cockrum and Grell were both great).

Neal Adams--DEADMAN, PHANTOM STRANGER, ADAM STRANGE, SUPERBOY
Jim Aparo--THE SPECTRE, COMMISSIONER GORDON, THE JOKER, and his METAL MEN, WILDCAT, PHANTOM STRANGER, were among the best.
Trevor Von Eeden--BLACK LIGHTNING, and his GREEN ARROW & BLACK CANARY were right up there
Jack Kirby & Steve Ditko--All their creations, of course!  (Though I did like what Jim Starlin did with OMAC and STARMAN, and George Perez too.)

Edited by Eric Jansen on 14 November 2021 at 4:24pm

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2021 at 7:30pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Batman - Marshall Rogers
Superman - Curt Swan, with someone with the initials "JB" close behind
Green Arrow - Mike Grell
Aquaman - Jim Aparo
Wonder Woman - George Perez
Flash - Carmine Infantino

Avengers - George Perez
Nick Fury - Jim Steranko
Fantastic Four - John Byrne
The Incredible Hulk - Herb Trimpe
Doctor Strange - Steve Ditko
Spider-Man - tie between Steve Ditko and John Romita Sr
She Hulk - John Byrne

Some other major characters and teams, I cannot pick just one (or two close) choice/s. (I've got about 4 each for Captain America and X-MEN, for example)

Edited by Brian Floyd on 14 November 2021 at 7:31pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2021 at 7:04am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Just to mix things up a bit -

Avengers - Dave Cockrum
Spider-Man - Paul Smith
Thor - John Byrne
Daredevil - Paul Gulacy
Fantastic Four - Ron Frenz
Ghost Rider- Bernie Wrightson
Captain America - Walt Simonson
Iron Man - Jose Luis Garcia Lopez

Back to Top profile | search | www

Craig Earl
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2021 at 1:23pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Makes me wonder about those characters/ titles that didn't elevate to a higher level because of the lack of a (supposed) 'perfect match' artist.

Ghost Rider and The Defenders spring to mind.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2021 at 3:52am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Exactly!  Yeah, some characters like Ghost Rider, Luke Cage, Killraven (before McGregor/Russell), Man-Bat (TWO issues!), Challengers of the Unknown (after Kirby), Phantom Stranger (some beautiful issues in the middle though), Bloodstone, Skull the Slayer, Tigra, Inhumans, Nova, Dazzler, Champions, Freedom Fighters, and the 70's Shazam--they all possibly could have been big stars/successes/household names by now (or decades earlier in a few cases) but they suffered from rotating creators (and therefore raisons d'etre) during their formative years.  Same goes for most of the New Universe titles, Atlas Comics, and many other failed lines.  

CONAN THE BARBARIAN could have been another "Thongor" if not for Roy Thomas and the imaginative two-year start by Barry Windsor-Smith and years of solid John Buscema art after that.  Oh how I wish JOHN CARTER, WARLORD OF MARS had the same kind of treatment (preferably with at least fifty issues drawn by Dave Cockrum).

I really give Stan Lee credit for (among other examples of good "shepherding") keeping the canceled HULK alive in the pages of TALES TO ASTONISH and finetuning the premise, powers, personality of the character until the Hulk was ready to headline his own title again--and magazine--and TV show--and movies.

Edited by Eric Jansen on 16 November 2021 at 4:00am

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2021 at 9:46am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Just musing on a couple more (and these are pure speculation because I don't think I ever saw these particular artists on these particular characters)...

METAL MEN by Bob Layton--The way he illustrates metal and his way with comedy (on HERCULES) makes this a particular "Why did this never happen?!?"

SPIDER-WOMAN--That reminds me: Steve Gerber wrote one issue of MM in 1976; his facility with quirky characters makes me want to have seen more.  Likewise, Spider-Woman was always quirky and something of a lost soul; I REALLY would have liked to have seen his take on her, paired of course with his incredible collaborator Gene Colan (who always had a way with beautiful women) and let's add Tom Palmer to the mix too.  THAT would have been a series for the ages!

CAPTAIN MARVEL/SHAZAM--Another one that recently came to mind was this feature (complete with Mary Marvel and the rest) by Alex Toth!  Something about his "complex simplicity" would have made this a perfect match.

PLASTIC MAN--And I really tried not to list 30 books and just put JB's name after all of them, but I really would have loved at least a mini-series or even one-shot of Plas by John Byrne!  And, of course, the reasoning must be clear: JB drew stretchy better than most with Mr. Fantastic and did comedy better than most with SHE-HULK.

KA-ZAR--I wonder if Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez would have worked better than even John Buscema.

Edited by Eric Jansen on 07 December 2021 at 10:00am

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2021 at 4:41pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

PLASTIC MAN - Ramona Fradon
Back to Top profile | search | www

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version