Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6
Topic: Who Is The Best Superman Artist Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2021 at 10:27am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Just looking through the covers I'm definitely going to add those Perez Actions to my list up to #652, they'll fit well between Action #600 and #673-678 which I have. Stern and Gammill are pretty good company!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2021 at 11:26am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

If you are going purely for the Perez art that's fine, but issues 651 and 652 are part of a crossover between all 3 Superman titles in 1990 "Day of the Krypton Man", if you are going for story cohesion.
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2021 at 12:12pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

This is one of my favourite Superman covers:

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2021 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Swan and Anderson together is sort of the default for most of the people my age, but I have to admit, Garcia-Lopez is pretty amazing and may be under-appreciated by the general comic reader.

JB, Adams, Perez and Kane are all terrific at almost everything they have done, and their Susperman is certainly not the exception.  Kane is probably the most dynamic of the group, but probably the most "acquired taste" of the group for some fans.

And Scheffenberger's clean, slick style reminds me of Wally Wood and John Romita - his work on Lois Lane and Supergirl are just fantastic.

That said, I didn't really read a lot of DC in the 70's (although Schaffenberger, Swan, Adams and Dick Dillin stand out to me) - but I did read a lot more DC in the 80's and 90's.

I wish I had remembered to include Ross Andru - I have come to appreciate his art so much more as I get older (his Spider-Man New York City is unmatched), and of course JB and Perez don't really need any elaboration.

One artist I wish would have done more Superman is Joe Kubert.  What little he did is breathtaking (of course!).

Valmor J. Pedretti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2021 at 4:38am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Garcia Lopez would be my #1.

JB and Gil Kane are the next in line.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2021 at 9:52am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

QUOTE:
If you are going purely for the Perez art that's fine, but issues 651 and 652 are part of a crossover between all 3 Superman titles in 1990 "Day of the Krypton Man", if you are going for story cohesion.

I have an order in for Action #643-650 via two Canadian sellers where I found good prices, and then I might well go for the multi-title story after that, but thinking as I have all the other Supergirl mark II comics I really ought to read the three part return saga finally...

Kurt Schaffenberger might've been my first favorite heroes artist with Supergirl. I kept wondering why she didn't look the same in the current early '70s comics and it might be the first time I looked at credits. He was a torch-bearer for the clean C.C. Beck Marvel Family style (and that was the other early '70s DC hero comic I would look for; Shazam!).

Al Plastino was an excellent cartoonist too and a smart guy as well; anything by him is a treat and he did do the first Supergirl. His Superman carried on some Joe Shuster elements.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2021 at 1:13pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

This one's difficult. Curt Swan is the Superman artist and there's just no way around that. But. I think his pencils went best with Al Williamson's inks. I prefer that blend to "Swanderson." 

The Byrne/Austin blend on JB's early issues of SUPERMAN was also gorgeous.

And then there's this guy, who never had a full run on a Superman title but does a brilliant version, or realization, of what Joe Shuster was trying to draw. 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2021 at 1:28pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Yeah, Rude is all kinds of good. Good pick.

Regarding inkers for JB on Superman, I liked Karl Kesel. Quite liked the stuff that was done under the name of Giordano as well, whoever it actually was.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 6
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version