Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: Slow Day……. (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2021 at 9:18am | IP Logged | 1  

QUOTE:
Rock detects a new uptightness in today's campus audiences. He blames a social culture that has taken hypersensitivity overboard as we try to protect kids from insults and other painful realities of life — like race relations.  

The youngsters are "raised on a culture of 'We're not going to keep score in the game because we don't want anybody to lose,' " Rock said. "Or just ignoring race to a fault. You can't say 'the black kid over there.' No, it's 'the guy with the red shoes.' You can't even be offensive on your way to being inoffensive."

Spending 10 minutes on TikTok would prove that Chris Rock's take is incorrect and that young people aren't afraid of being offensive and definitely don't ignore race. They are probably more willing to discuss race than previous generations.

College campuses have always been full of people trying to assert themselves by drawing boundaries. College students can be idealistic and are in the midst of trying to develop their political identity away from their parents. I'd suggest that college students aren't hypersensitive, but have different sensibilities from older, established comics. Not all comedy is universal and edgy humor even less so. Jeff Dunham is incredibly popular and while I thought he was funny when I saw clips of his performances on TV, when I actually saw him in a club several years back, it was just him making racist jokes with puppets. Not my thing.

It's interesting to observe when dynamics change, like when "OK Boomer" became a punchline, many of the older folk who were all "young people are so sensitive and can't take a joke" suddenly became apoplectic and claimed they were victims of discrimination.

Edited by Michael Roberts on 15 September 2021 at 9:20am
Back to Top profile | search

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2021 at 10:34am | IP Logged | 2  

I'm having a a hard time picturing what Jeff Dunham routines you saw that WERE funny.  The guy has always been a black hole of comedy, to me.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2021 at 10:43am | IP Logged | 3  

I'm having a a hard time picturing what Jeff Dunham routines you saw that WERE funny.  The guy has always been a black hole of comedy, to me.

-------

I'm talking 90s sanitized Comedy Central stuff. Also I was a teen, so the bar was definitely lower.

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2021 at 11:14am | IP Logged | 4  

Said bar would have had to be embedded several feet below the foundation of your house.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 19 September 2021 at 12:45am | IP Logged | 5  

Bill Collins wrote:
I see Matt is being his usual charming self, do you 
really need to use profanities at all, never mind to 
the last remaining female member of the forum?

Perish the thought that the word "fuck" would disturb the equilibrium to such a degree that it rocks the known world. Seriously.  Get a grip, dude.  

And to assume that you can't use common curse words in discussion with "a female member" is absurd to say the least.  I'm sure Rebecca can handle it as can any of my female friends that I interact with on a daily basis.  Give them a modicum of credit.  I know that I do. 

But fine, Bill.  Continue to only pop up when morality issues come into play so that you can pass judgement.  Good on ya.  Par for the course.  You've kept me "in check".

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 19 September 2021 at 1:19am | IP Logged | 6  

Bill's comment digs into a larger question...how do you choose to lace your debate with "profanities"?

I have to say that my daily life is filed with fucks,  I say the word as often as one draws water, which is to say ALL THE FUCKING TIME. 

To me? Fuck is the greatest word.  It has so many different meanings depending on the situation.  Unlike Bill Collins, who can't even stand a breath of a curse word lest he faint, I don't give a literal fuck if I use the word "fuck" because it defines so many instances. 

But sure, Bill, continue to keep on keeping on with the old, tired mantra that defines using curse words as a negative. As if we who use them are "less than" against you who do not.  Please.  Give me a fucking break.  

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2021 at 10:57am | IP Logged | 7  

Okay, held this one back, didn't want to be too childish back but...

"Fuck Me!" x multiple times...

Er, um... no thanks Rage Lad, but maybe Ignorelist Boy could help you?

:^) Strap-on in storage, and the discount is only for Conservative Party of Canada members anyway.

Humor; lack of = a fatal flaw, loss of perspective, and thus you become so many things you supposedly hate. Calling for the slaughter of entire groups next stop?

The foo shits.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 19 September 2021 at 11:00am

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2021 at 12:41am | IP Logged | 8  

I think you are being really disingenuous to Bill there Matt.

The description you have in your posts is not who Bill has been on this
forum @ all. I have had many interactions with Bill over the years on
many, many topics.

Some people do not like swearing, especially prolonged, numerous
swearing - I don’t think that deserves the level of attack you are giving
him.

I think you have increased the level of F words in your posts, I think you
have increased the level of personal attacks on members of the forum.
& I also think you are falling dangerously close to the position of ‘I’ll
defend anyone’s opinion to speak what they want, unless it doesn’t
agree with me, in which case I will go for you like no-one’s business’.

You are staring to sound like the man shouting ‘Get off my effing lawn’.

Which, you know, people are starting to do. Think about that for a
moment please.
People are leaving a forum where they get to interact with their
favourite, or one of their favourite creators, for fear of your wrath.

That’s a harsh statement, but we are seeing it time & time again.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2021 at 1:03am | IP Logged | 9  

Thanks James.
J.B. asked a question,i answered regarding why i
personally rarely post nowadays. I used to enjoy
visiting and interacting on a more or less daily
basis, but the last few years there's been a definite
increase in sheer rudeness and nastiness. As i said
before we don't have to agree with everybody, but we
can disagree in a civil manner. So i rarely post as i
don't need the aggro. I suspect a fair few members
feel the same.

Matt says i only pop up to have a go at him. Not true,
i did comment on your increasingly rude behaviour a
few years ago, because i was surprised nobody else had
the balls to do it. I did it again last week as you
were increasingly rude to Rebecca, and no matter the
gender, it was very poor example from a moderator who
ought to be setting an example.

Trust me, i'm no prissy shrinking violet i swear like
a trooper in real life, where there's context and eye
to eye contact. But your increasinly unhinged rants
just come across as trying to bully people into
accepting your opinion. I don't really care if you
swear at your female friends, that's between you and
them.
But if J.B. wonders why Facebook groups have more
members, and the forum is quiet, just stop and think
if maybe you're one of the reasons.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mike Benson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2021 at 5:06am | IP Logged | 10  

At it again isn’t he?  Sad.  Just sad.  

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2021 at 5:18am | IP Logged | 11  

"I'm sure Rebecca can handle it as can any of my female friends that I interact with on a daily basis."

Whether she can handle it is not the important question.  Its whether she should have to.  That depends on the forum.  

In this case, we are talking about a forum that is populated (as far as I can tell) entirely by adults, where the rules (see "forum decorum") do not prohibit profanity.  So its reasonable to expect that one will occasionally encounter adult language.  Hopefully no one will be offended to the point where they will leave over this.  

However, it is certainly not gentlemanly.  If you don't care about that, so be it.  You are absolutely entitled to use the language you use.  But if you want to attract the largest and most diverse possible audience to participate on these boards, then you may wish to consider whether your language has an impact on that goal.

In my opinion the biggest problem with using a lot of profanity is that it undercuts your message.  

You and I have engaged with each other on several threads, and I find that you usually make good points, even when we disagree.  

When you have a post with multiple F-bombs, it comes across as highly emotional and rage fueled, rather than thoughtful or logical (maybe inadvertently; its sometimes hard to hear "tone" in a message board post).  If people think you're just raging, they tend to tune you out, rather than carefully consider what you say, and your point gets lost.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2021 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 12  

The use of the word 'fuck' is definitely something that sexualizes. Introduced repeatedly not by myself.

I thought Matt Reed and Michael Roberts were supposedly driven to personal attack mode, or to write off as a human being, Mr. Kirkman for use of the word whore about a fictional comic character... wouldn't the 'delicate' ones be on that side then? I'm never too sure what the raging is about where it concerns me; once it seemed I was a lunatic to be mocked for saying I thought Canada's justice system wasn't in as bad of a shape as the U.S. system, and another time branded racist where I dared say Canada didn't have as horrific of overall race relations. How dare the U.S. not be number one in all ways? I honestly don't know what is wrong with saying that or that it makes me an 'enemy' in the slightest of the U.S. of A... if Norway is doing something right, or wrong, we can learn from that. I genuinely love learning, but engaging in needlessly personalized extremist whatever the hell Matt Reed keeps erupting with is certainly not fruitful in that regard.

It is asking a lot of me to not to be a little personally offended however by attempts to put me on trial as lacking sensitivity to prejudice against women or the abuse we face, and also given that I have done things that did make some small effect for the positive locally and beyond, against racism, intimidation and hate speech when it cost something that I should accept a simple label of racist. I see innuendos about me but ultimately little substance being from such a distance. A wise person has some grasp of what they cannot know. The weaponized ignore list announcements seem to have faded a little if never explained, and maybe that's progress for this forum?

I value that I can post things here that other forums have felt the need to ban, things touching on politics and reality, and to read the same back, but I do so assuming I don't know the people posting as actual people never mind to want to try and destroy or defame, anymore than for most of the names we know on comic books! I do wonder how and if I am a, or the, 'problem' here; if I were to think that I am I would certainly leave. I have experienced tolerance where I have genuinely screwed up in the past, and I have learned things.

I will not be moved however in terms of my desire for balance over zealous extremes of any sort. If you are not fed up to the skies with escalations and absolutes in your life generally I probably can't relate to you as more than a self-centered toddler on a rampage and eventually feel you should be treated as such. I do not want any person or group eradicated, I want them to communicate and listen back. Right now we have anti-vaccine and anti-mandate people raging and causing problems in Canada and I dared to speak out in different places with no name-calling and blaming that they be heard, but also that they then listen back... but the majority (or drama based media) wanted them forced and silenced and as a result things have only gotten worse. We had an opportunity, yet again, for communication sabotaged by all the extremes and absolutists, where maybe learning the hard way could have been avoided!

Many don't realize that the dark ages can return, nor how quickly. Civilization is working together, checking the guns at the Sheriff's office, an exchange of giving to get in return, nobody existing by their own bootstraps fantasies, compromises. 'Destroy destroy destroy' is never a way to progress, and hate does not breed anything but more of itself.

Hey, wait a minnit... I just read Silver Surfer #75 and they killed Frankie Raye/Nova!!! After making her a pole dancer in an 'adult' club? Well, fuck that! :^)

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 20 September 2021 at 12:20pm

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version