Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: Slow Day……. (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2021 at 1:53pm | IP Logged | 1  

So... it's not about me... is all about me... is about Canada... is about me and the evil poster Greg Kirkman who left???

I'm just not clear on this. It looked like earlier people were saying it was fear or disgust of someone else entirely whose behavior was putting them off.

Racism making a huge resurgence or exisitng in the past is not to be mentioned? Or not if it says one country is having or has had less of a problem than another? I must not mention how when living in the U.S. I was often inundated with people wanting information on moving to Canada, especially of various minorities? I also got that from people in Japan when I've had contact with them, does that help?

I will give it a break, so why don't some ever seem to try that themselves? And why not listen to the larger number of people besides me who were trying to say what behavior is being the problem for them? I'd like to see more posts from them if they can feel welcomed to.

I'm real long-winded, guilty, but short snappy personal abuse and name-calling needs to go; it is poisonous and should be beneath us all. You can become your supposed 'enemy' with it.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 12 September 2021 at 1:56pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2021 at 2:05pm | IP Logged | 2  

What are you going on about? Read James Woodcock’s post. That was all that was being said. You are the one going off in arguments that no one was having. 

You asked people to point out your blind spots. I did. In exchange, you are engaging in the very bullying, personal bile, and strawmen that you are complaining about.

(As an aside, “some of my best friends are…” arguments are never a good look.)

Let me reiterate, making a “we” problem with regard to racism into a “you” problem allows racism to continue. All your blather about being bullied or or winning against enemies or progressives being as bad as the alt-right has nothing to do with what I said and just exists in your head. 

After the George Floyd incident, there was lots of talk about being anti-racist and listening to POC. Seems like it was all talk, because I just see lots of talk from white people talking about racism from their perspective and no one else’s. 

Edited by Michael Roberts on 12 September 2021 at 2:06pm
Back to Top profile | search

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2021 at 5:52pm | IP Logged | 3  

I have bullied anyone?

If anybody wants to claim I have not been bullied here, by absolutist PCers who act like they are protecting women or other minorities, or even are minorities, then consider the following...

There's someone who has told that she is a survivor of traumatic violent sexual abuse in childhood, and you, or anybody else, reallllly want to keep picking at her, taking bits of posts out of any context to 'prove' some extreme that is not in her to attack, after she's tried to convey how and why she has to stand up to abuse? Reallllly? Then keep going with this sad game of trying to lump me in with your lousy sanctimonious posturing behavior.

I was speaking out and paying a price for it during the Trayvon Martin insanity.

I never saw this kind of abusiveness from from Greg Kirkman. I am not part of any cyber gang of bullies ganging up to shame anyone. You want it to end then you end it from your side and I end it from mine.

Woman says here's what I'm saying that you are misrepresenting, now stop it, and you keep going, and she says again here is what I'm saying now stop it, and again you keep going... and you are the good guys on the white horses in the right? Who makes this forum a hostile negative and less human landscape so many have left, and how is that anything close to being me?

I'm not trying to persuade anybody to hate anybody here. You want Canada to be as unprecedentedly fucked up as the U.S. is in so many areas to suit your fragile ego or something? Tough biscuits, because it's all in all simply not reality. That's all I'm getting from this, and the arrogance that somehow a white woman in Canada can't possibly know anything about racism after a decades of engaging with it, as well having no choice but to engage in all manner of sexism and dimunition well on display here. I have gone into detail on that engagement and you don't like or put any value on that. If there's such a lot you don't like and yet this includes some words on a screen from a woman in Canada that reads comics... you have a lot of time on your hands.

I don't want to be posting about this, but I feel I have to because people do keep abusing and trying to put me down personally, and it's people supposedly so unsexist? I have known personal abuse from pro-Trump alt-Right nuts, but this is another level of gaslighting to pretend to be for any minority group while you continue to hound one with toxic put-downs and nasty untrue innuendos about them causing trouble.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 12 September 2021 at 5:56pm

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2021 at 6:00pm | IP Logged | 4  

And if I must correct tiresome exaggerations yet again... I said we all have blind spots and we all need people to point them out sometimes. I never in any way said the U.S. was the only country with racists or that Canada had none. To attempt to say I have is disingenuous and stupid. The strawman creator label fits others here far more than it does myself.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 12 September 2021 at 6:01pm

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2021 at 1:02am | IP Logged | 5  

I see Matt is being his usual charming self, do you
really need to use profanities at all, never mind to
the last remaining female member of the forum?
What a fine example for a moderator to be making, and
what a poor reflection on J.B.'s forum.
Michael, you always seem to go out of your way to miss
someone's point, to make your own point stick, being
rude and patronising whilst doing so.

This is largely why the forum is losing members,
familiar names that used to make interesting posts and
start intersesting topics, all long gone.

Now it seems to be all angry insulting bile.

As i said before, we don't have to agree, but maybe
some of you should be more civil and stop hammering
away because you think you are right and the other
person isn't.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2021 at 1:52am | IP Logged | 6  

Michael, you always seem to go out of your way to miss someone's point, to make your own point stick, being rude and patronising whilst doing so. 

———

Disagree about the first one, but otherwise, thanks!

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2021 at 3:09am | IP Logged | 7  

QUOTE:
I see Matt is being his usual charming self

I thought it weird that people piggy-backed off your post to attack Matt and pretend they were being civil because they didn't actually name Matt. If people have issues with Matt's posts, they should take it up with Matt. Instead there were roundabout attacks and referring to him as "poison". You seem to be encouraging this.

QUOTE:
This is largely why the forum is losing members, familiar names that used to make interesting posts and start intersesting topics, all long gone.

Eh, I've been around since the Magnus days. The forum used to have a little bit more diverse in terms of gender, age, and ethnicity/race. That shrinkage happened LONG ago. Forums are a bit antiquated in general. Most of them have died or are dying because people find it more convenient to be on Reddit or Facebook.

Personally, I'd rather go into a comic, TV show, or movie thread and discuss the content of the comic, show, or movie. Instead, people want to bring up their shitty takes on "cancel culture" or "forced diversity". Then they act like the victim if they get called out on their shitty takes. Just because something is framed with a veneer of politeness, it doesn't mean it's civil. Can't we just talk about the content?

Edited by Michael Roberts on 13 September 2021 at 3:10am

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2021 at 9:18am | IP Logged | 8  

QUOTE:
Just because something is framed with a veneer of politeness, it doesn't mean it's civil.

I would politely disagree with the point you make, my friend. While making a point politely is, indeed, sugaring the pill and doesn't change the substance of an argument, it does make it easier for differing views to be aired. You may not end up agreeing, but at least it is very hard for the discourse to descend into antagonism if both sides remain mannerly.

And, of course, adequately polite is one of the dictionary definitions of civil.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2021 at 9:29am | IP Logged | 9  

Giving examples of opposing racism and growing up in a multicultural society does not constitute proof in any way of hidden substantial racism. If your name is white European and yet you aren't white European I do know what was taken, by 'my' people. This arrogant white Canadian saw letters published thirty years ago in a southern U.S. journal on the topic of placing people before things and institutions, and removing confederate flags from state buildings, other public places and vehicles. I have written countless times about a justice system wherein "armed with a sidewalk" was not merely allowed in a court of law in the 21st century, but was a successful defense for murder. I have said too that our first peoples must be put first in recognition of what has been stripped from them for the gain of others. These are things for human beings to be upset and concerned about, unlike some virtual stranger saying a comic book character had been made a whore. And what should we call those humorless absolutists passing extremely personal judgements and bullying about others' supposed lack of sensitivity on a habitual basis? Should we commend them for their great sensitivity? No, sometimes hostile and unpleasant are only what they are and serve no good purpose. There is sharing and communication, and then there is simple abuse and empty posturing meant to diminish another.

Good luck with this forum.*

* which means good luck with this forum as I take that break I mentioned.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 13 September 2021 at 11:28am

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2021 at 11:00pm | IP Logged | 10  

Good luck with this forum.*

* which means good luck with this forum as I take that break I mentioned.

Hey Rebecca, we're almost always in disagreement on this forum yet I appreciate your views a lot, and you make me think.

Hope your break is short and we'll be discussing views on comics and life soon again.

And what should we call those humorless absolutists passing extremely personal judgements and bullying about others' supposed lack of sensitivity on a habitual basis?

Also, this resounds with me. 

I believe humour to be the highest form of intelligence and therefore the utter lack of it to be pretty dumb.

For us progressives, humour used to be one of our defining traits. No matter how f***ed up things are, there's always something to laugh about the absurdity of it all, or about our own failings.

I feel that this is almost completely lost in internet discourse right now. I don't mean to go all anti-PC because that's not entirely how I feel (and PC is mostly good and a way to evolve IMHO) but the self-righteousness and lack of humour and self-awareness that defines it lately is completely opposed to what being a progressive is all about in my view.

We're the Church Lady now, just with a different dogma. Not a good outlook for our future as progressives.

Edited by Rodrigo castellanos on 14 September 2021 at 12:20am

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 14 September 2021 at 7:33am | IP Logged | 11  

The state of perpetual offense to be found on the Internet has ground humor down to a nub. For the Mighty Crusaders to carry on their ongoing wars on behalf of other people’s (imagined?) sensitivities, everything must be taken exactly as stated, no shadings of satire or sarcasm allowed.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2021 at 8:14am | IP Logged | 12  

We're certainly in a weird time when the manifestly anodyne Jerry Seinfeld would rather not perform than risk an internet philippic.

About the forum, some members, mods too, can be strident in their posts. Others are mild. As long as John Byrne is okay with how his forum operates, then... okay! 

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version