Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic
Byrne Robotics > Fan Fic << Prev Page of 48 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN 26--Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2021 at 5:45am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

JB, I think I have mentioned before how I appreciate your practice of creating transitions by starting a character’s dialogue in a word balloon in one panel and finishing it as a caption at the top of the next. I believe I first noticed it back in JBNM. I don’t think you use that technique as often now, but I still associate it with your writing so much that in reading yesterday’s last two panels, I found myself mentally cutting Professor X off at “YES…” and finishing with “I CAN GUIDE YOU THERE MENTALLY!” in the first caption of the last panel.

Yes, my mind works in weird ways.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 September 2021 at 6:35am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I think of those bridging captions/balloons as voice overs.
Back to Top profile | search

ron bailey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2021 at 7:11am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Apologies, your phrasing led me to believe that you were wondering why it hadn't been noticed as a webcomic, not why it hadn't been categorized as one.  < id="protanopia"> < id="deuteranopia"> < id="tritanopia">

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 September 2021 at 7:13am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

For a second or two I wondered how Shaman reached the demon well so quickly, but then remembered... MAGIC!

•••

It can be handy!

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2021 at 9:29am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Over on a Facebook group page dedicated to John Byrne that I frequent,  even though art from  ELSEWHEN is constantly posted and referenced,  in the comments people regularly ask where they can get the comic. To try and help these people,  I created a post in that group explaining what the series is about,  and providing a link to this area of the Byrne Robotics site.  I've also done this sort of thing for my Facebook business page. Hopefully,  this has helped some find their way here. There definitely is interest from fans out there, once they learn about the series.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 September 2021 at 9:50am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

If I draw a character with six fingers, I am excoriated to the furthest corners of the Universe, instantly.

But ELSEWHEN they don’t even know exists.

ron bailey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2021 at 11:20am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The interwebs is a fickle mistress ...

Seriously, while I have been enjoying these daily gems, I did only stumble upon them being ongoing by accident, with people talking about it in other threads.  

If you're depending on word of mouth, summon the troops. For all I knew, you wanted to keep this as a bonus for your members.  < id="protanopia"> < id="deuteranopia"> < id="tritanopia">

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 September 2021 at 11:38am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I frankly don’t care who or how many see ELSEWHEN. I’m just bewildered by its apparent invisibility.

I expected legions of Byrne bashers to show up just to shred it!

Robbie Moubert
Byrne Robotics Member
Evertonian

Posted: 25 September 2021 at 3:14pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

JB you started work on this issue while you were trying to decide where to start issue 14 and it was originally meant to appear earlier in the run. How far did you get into the issue back then and did you have to make any changes when you resumed working on it?

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 26 September 2021 at 10:27am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

JB: "I’ll just mention that I’m not concerned about “promoting” ELSEWHEN. Just curious as to why it would not be considered a webcomic."

Because of Marvel's copyright, it's officially "fan fic" - but certainly unique considering your professional association with the characters. The title certainly has social media attention among your fans, but it won't cross the threshold into a published webcomic and more public awareness unless Marvel publishes it. I would love to see ELSEWHEN published in book form with inks, as it would be distinguished from what has appeared here. It's a shame it didn't work out with Marvel, especially looking at what transpired over the last 26 issues. It's been an epic and emotional journey for fans of your X-Men run.

My ideal webcomic is an independent work that generates interest through web publishing to eventually become an actual physical, published book. While ELSEWHEN will not see this, the process you have created is so ideal to this process. The page of pencils a day has been an innovative and genius idea from the start, and I would love to see it continue to the natural progression of a book.

Maybe more people would be aware of this if one of your own titles appeared here on the main forum and was then published in book form. A revival of DANGER UNLIMITED would garner lots of media interest both here and when a book shows up. Byrnerobotics premieres the material, and then you could partner with a publisher whose publicity team would be able to spread the word. And when they come here for DANGER UNLIMITED, they will find an abundance of X-MEN as a fan fiction bonus.

Well, a guy can dream - and a guy can also slip in his DANGER UNLIMITED series return suggestion at least once a year, usually when you least expect it!! :-)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 September 2021 at 10:35am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

And here I thought all a webcomic had to be was a comic published on the web.

Silly me.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 September 2021 at 10:39am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

BTW, Tim, you may have fond memories of DANGER UNLIMITED, but I remind you that series crashed and burned, scuttled by the retailers who slashed their orders to the bone even before the first issue shipped.

<< Prev Page of 48 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version