Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic
Byrne Robotics > Fan Fic << Prev Page of 48 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN 26--Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2021 at 8:24am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Is the font used here still based on Jack Morelli's lettering? There seems to be a little more padding than there used to be, which I think looks great :)

It also reminds me that I never used to pay attention to the lettering much back in the day, until seeing Tom Orzechowski's work in X-Men, and John Workman's on Thor, both of which made me aware as a kid that there can be an art to EVERYTHING in a comic ... < id="protanopia"> < id="deuteranopia"> < id="tritanopia">
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 September 2021 at 8:36am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

It’s no longer Jack’s font.

Funny thing about lettering. It should really be “invisible”. If we start to notice what the letterer is doing, it can pull us out of the flow of the story.

Richard Knapp
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2021 at 8:40am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

"Before I was appointed guardian of the m'krann crystal..."

Somehow, eons ago, I got the wrong impression that Jahf (and Modt) were being created by the M'Krann crystal.

Today's page is stunning!

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2021 at 8:49am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

During my first few years of comic book reading, I had associated Tom Orzechowski's lettering with Claremont's dialogue so much that I almost thought that Tom provided the script as well, or at least had more of a hand in it, since he really gelled with CC's verbal 'ticks'. Louise Simonson took over NEW MUTANTS from Chris and Tom remained as letterer for a bit. It was very disconcerting for me to be reading Simonson dialogue via Orzechowski lettering!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 September 2021 at 8:51am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Somehow, eons ago, I got the wrong impression that Jahf (and Modt) were being created by the M'Krann crystal.

•••

Perhaps they were—in a then/now kinda way.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 September 2021 at 8:58am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

During my first few years of comic book reading, I had associated Tom Orzechowski's lettering with Claremont's dialogue so much that I almost thought that Tom provided the script as well, or at least had more of a hand in it, since he really gelled with CC's verbal 'ticks'.

•••

There was a moment in STARLORD when someone says “Starlord, you talk too much!” In the margin (outside the printed area) Tom jotted “letterer’s lament!”

ron bailey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2021 at 9:02am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

"...  it can pull us out of the flow of the story."

No chance! :)

Probably just a result of getting to spend every weekday morning before work (a great way to start the day!) ogling this story one page at a time instead of reading it all at once, you notice more. < id="protanopia"> < id="deuteranopia"> < id="tritanopia">

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 September 2021 at 9:18am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I chose the font used at present because I found it unobtrusive. A far cry from the days when Marvel discovered computer lettering, and suddenly the characters had individualized lettering. The Torch was “flaming”, the Thing “rocky”.

Never before had there been such a grotesque example of the lettering yelling LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2021 at 9:43am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

The font that they've given to Thor and the rest of the Asgardians is especially ridiculous, distracting, and damn-near unreadable. Made me think that they all sounded like the Swedish Chef if you had to actually hear them.

Deadpool was given either a bolded or yellow word balloon in the comics, which at first bugged me......but somehow Ryan Reynolds *just about* justified it in the movies.

ron bailey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2021 at 9:45am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Agreed!

Though it does beg the question (wait, why are we talking about lettering when there is gorgeous action going on???) when in the history of lettering where it was decided that all caps would be the standard instead of mixed case fore legibility. I can't think of anywhere else, including most children's books, where this is the case. 

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2021 at 10:01am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

There's no Alpha Flight on this page, I'd like my money back. 

Wolverine and Jahf are going to leave one hell of a mess to be cleaned up. Phenomenal destructive power, itty bitty bodies. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 September 2021 at 10:06am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Legibility is the key. With the poor printing of early newspaper comics—the direct ancestors of comic books—the decision was made to letter in all caps to get the most legible read. Also to avoid letters like g, q, p or j descending too deep into the next line.

Marvel experimented with mixed case lettering, and the best comment I saw was from someone who said the characters all looked like they were whispering.*

What works, works!

_________

* Bill Jemas had dictated the change, declaring “They don’t use all-caps in the New York Times!” As I said at the time, they also don’t have COMICS in the New York Times!

<< Prev Page of 48 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version