Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2021 at 9:05pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Strange way to spell "great".
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jeffrey Rice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2021 at 7:41am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

“Retro” seems to have become one of those catch-all words adopted by people who aren’t entirely sure of what they’re talking about, but are trying to sound like they are.

In ELSEWHEN I return to familiar territory, so it must be “retro”. But—to borrow a familiar phrase—I do not think that word means what some people think it means.

________

I believe you are correct. What passes for "writers" on the internet is questionable at best. The fact is, the use of the team from your run in new stories is confusing them.

Back to Top profile | search

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2021 at 12:18pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

It's RETRO since each issue is full to the brim with great storytelling and things HAPPENING instead of  it being made of diluted - decompressed stories that could be summed up in 1 sentence. Also seriously lacks any mention or depiction of anal intercourse or other "intimate" details.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2021 at 1:50pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Some of the art from the first couple issues briefly hearkened back for me a little to that early 80s time circa when you left the X-Men but perhaps that's as much because of the subject matter and my connection to it and you from that era and how long it had been since I'd had a sip. Everything since (ie, the vast majority) has looked more like your contemporary style. I do get a 'retro' feel in that sense some have mentioned, ie less needlessly decompressed, more action-oriented, less navel-gazing and pandering titillation, more succinct, efficient storytelling. With (less) effort and care I imagine you could shake these habits but I hope not!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2021 at 2:47pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I think its retro in two ways, but not because your artwork has changed:

First, obviously, you are drawing the X-Men the way they looked 30+ years ago.

But also, in the late 70s and 80s, you and George Perez were by far the top artists in the industry, so many others who came in around that time (and for maybe 10 years after) developed a similar style; combining the realism of Neal Adams with the dynamic figures of early Marvel artists.  

To the extent it could be said that Marvel and DC had a "house style" in the past, for a while it was people who were trying to draw like you and George. The "hot" artists today appear to be moving away from house styles, which does make you a little retro.  

I think "classic" is a better word, because there are still a lot of artists who draw that way.

Edited by John Wickett on 21 June 2021 at 2:48pm

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2021 at 5:58pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

"Retro" came to mind for me here and there regarding ELSEWHEN, but I never considered that word in a pejorative sense. Most creative teams today do not approach comics the way that JB and his contemporaries do. And that's not a good thing, IMO. May too many writers screaming "LOOK AT ME!" these days, for one thing.

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2021 at 6:20pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Pretty much anyone today who isn’t drawing in an anime style, or similar to Jim Lee, would be labelled retro.

Mr. Wickett makes some good points above.   A lot of artists grew up imitating styles like yours or George Perez in the 80s, and so seeing such art again brings back good memories.  I find it to be a welcome change from Lee, Finch, etc.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version