Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Retro? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 June 2021 at 7:04pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Several places now where I have seen the art in ELSEWHEN referred to as “retro”.

Is this a fair description?

It’s my understanding that something “retro” is created deliberately to mimic or at least evoke an earlier time. In ELSEWHEN I’m drawing like I draw now, which really has little in common with how I drew forty years ago.

So…. retro?

Back to Top profile | search

Joseph Gauthier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2021 at 9:42pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Without having read the reviews in question, I wonder if the reviewers are referring to the full body of superhero art, rather than your body of work. In other words, your characters look heroic, there is energy and implied motion in their poses, there is dramatic tension within and between panels etc. All of that, on the other hand, seems to be missing from current offerings from Marvel and DC (at least from the admittedly few I've seen over the past ten or fifteen years).
But even with that large helping of the benefit of doubt, "retro" is a sort of obnoxious way to say what I've just described. Instead, it could be said that you're providing the industry with a blue print to breath new life back into a floundering medium.

David Teller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2021 at 12:48am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I think the modern translation of retro is "not tracing playboy models"

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2021 at 1:28am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I think "retro" is just some people's way of saying "old school" which might be better translated as "classic" or, for the best of the period, "legendary."  They throw everything from a certain period in the same basket--you know, the period where sales of 400,000 were medium and stories were impactful and keep getting reprinted over and over.  Not modern and cool like the traced, photoshopped, dull art of many of the biggest name titles today--"biggest" meaning sales of 40,000 (or 4,000!).

I still remember people (mostly staff as I recall) at my local comics shop marveling at the success of the AVENGERS relaunch by Busiek and Perez in 1998--23 years ago!  ("Where are the pouches and bubble physiques?")  I'm pretty sure the word "retro" was used there too.

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2021 at 6:33am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Honestly, these days "not anime influenced" could read as "retro" since so many artists today are.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jonathan Kaye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2021 at 6:33am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

In ELSEWHEN I’m drawing like I draw now, which really has little in common with how I drew forty years ago.

I've definitely seen an evolution of your style, but I also see a lot that's stayed the same -- in a good way.  If I had time-traveled from 1981 directly to 2021, I have no doubt that I'd immediately recognize the art on ELSEWHEN as yours -- there's an underlying quality that shines through.  Part of it may be so basic that you take it for granted: a genuine attention to detail (spacial perspective, layout, anatomy, body positioning/expression, backgrounds) that unfortunately seems all too rare in comics!  

The only specific retro aspect that comes to mind is faces with Neal Adams-esque shadows.

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2021 at 7:58am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I think they mean Pencil.

Jorge Jiminez has brought the digital age of comics to life in an exciting
fashion, and the thought of seeing a comic from DC without the digi
effects right now would seem a backward step.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2021 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

It’s my understanding that something “retro” is created deliberately to mimic or at least evoke an earlier time. In ELSEWHEN I’m drawing like I draw now, which really has little in common with how I drew forty years ago.

JB, I see what you mean from a visual point of view, but ELSEWHEN does pick up from the time you left off in your legendary X-MEN run... so it can be seen as "retro", couldn't it?

Regardless, I think ELSEWHEN has a freshness sorely needed for any X-MEN fan.

-C!

Edited by Charles Valderrama on 20 June 2021 at 9:57am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2021 at 10:12am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Artistically, ELSEWHEN looks about four decades advanced from 1980. In that respect, there's 0% retro in it.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2021 at 10:29am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The art is not retro JB art. It is not an attempt to imitate to evoke the style of early 80s Byrne Art.

In the inking thread, there are some attempts to imitate the style of early 80s Austin, which is retro.

The art does exhibit the hallmarks of classic Marvel storytelling, which has gone out of fashion in recent decades in favour of stodgy, lifeless poses and pedestrian angles. In this loose sense, I suppose, one could invoke some kind of retro feel, though still I think Elsewhen is absent the imitative part of the definition.

In a nutshell, then, no, it's not a fair description.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 June 2021 at 10:43am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

“Retro” seems to have become one of those catch-all words adopted by people who aren’t entirely sure of what they’re talking about, but are trying to sound like they are.

In ELSEWHEN I return to familiar territory, so it must be “retro”. But—to borrow a familiar phrase—I do not think that word means what some people think it means.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2021 at 11:43am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

It might be that retro to me might not be retro to someone else... for comics I would think of something like Dave Stevens' Rocketeer set in the 1930s as retro, but I suppose to someone else for whom the '80s seems 'long ago and far away' someone might do something '80s looking which to me would still seem just modern. If you look at a lot of early '40s 'golden age' comics many were pretty much like that first page of Namor #19. The actual gold was out there with Lou Fine, Bill Everett, Seldon Moldoff, Jack Cole, Basil Wolverton, C.C.Beck, Mac Raboy plus early Kirby and Kubert, but an awful lot of it looks and reads pretty strangely, like something from an alien world.

I guess I can see the '70s as retro and having a 'look', so that's my dividing line. By 1979-80 onward it's all one big blur with daft fads tossed in from far off that didn't seem cool at the time and which I never really saw anybody emulating. I never saw the mullets or huge shoulder pads, never saw white kids trying to look like inner-city rappers or wearing M.C. Hammer balloon pants. About all I did see was young boys seeming to have camouflage crap for a couple years thanks to Rambo. The 'grunge' look was just what kids wore in 1981 because that's what they could afford. It's like people who think there were all these mohawks and safety pins in the 'punk era'... never happened 99.9% of places or people... we had one kid who wore a dog collar for awhile and was nicknamed Devo, and I went to school with about four or five now documented 'punk' bands most of which I didn't know existed and I was around all-ages punk (really just DIY, do it yourself) shows a few times.

Was Michael Kaluta always 'retro' for being influenced by turn of the century illustrators? Ron Frenz for following in that general Kirby-Romita Sr.-Buscemas approach?

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version