Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: The 90ies Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2021 at 12:20pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I started art school in 1989 and dove headlong into Sandman (other proto-Vertigo stuff) and independent comics and started shedding the DC and Marvel stuff I had devoured since then. That move kept me from experiencing anything on that post except for X-force which I did catch the beginning of. I'll admit that I mistook Mcfarlane's, Liefeld's and Larsen's poor draftsmanship for energy and excitement for a while but that wore off. 

Back to Top profile | search | www

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2021 at 12:23pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I was simply horrified at the wave /surge of 'hot' artists. Never could understand the appeal, even JIM LEE !
Back to Top profile | search

Larry Gil
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2021 at 2:05pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The 90's were the beginning of the end for me . JB's XMHY and George's Avengers were my only reading by the end of the 90's . 

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2021 at 2:23pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I graduated high school in '91 so all that big, crazy stuff was fine for my mindset. I did start getting tired of it, though, fairly quickly. At the time I never thought I'd lose interest in X-Men or Spider-Man but by the mid-90's, I wasn't reading either of those titles (or groups of titles, as the case may be.) 

Still, the surge in creator-owned books, especially as the decade rolled on, reinvigorated my interest in comics big time and still keeps me going today. That mostly started with some of the Image books but I quickly moved over "Sin City" and some of the other books of the era (Vertigo, Malibu's Bravura line and what not.) 

It's been 25 years or so since whatever Marvel or DC were doing had any major bearing on my interest in comics. 

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2021 at 2:35pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

1979-80 was when I got hooked so to me anything earlier is like the music the bigger kids liked, it all has a certain golden allure, even though I did get and buy comics sporadically before spring 1979, even DC and Marvel, and also records. That vintage glamour hits the wall for me with 1978, or 40 cents price on regular comics. In line with the other retro thread, I think if you dressed most people in average 1979 clothing it wouldn't look at all out of place, but once you get flared trousers, platform shoes, those really long or pointy lapels and fat ties, bright colors, obviously false eyelashes, heavy sideburns, large glasses... that's when things stand out (although some eastern block countries probably had all that gear around as late as 1989).

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 21 June 2021 at 2:37pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2021 at 3:04pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Reprints confuse things.  I started reading AMAZING SPIDER-MAN when Gerry Conway and Ross Andru were having the "ghost" of Gwen Stacy haunt Peter Parker, and I loved it!  But I was also reading MARVEL TALES showing the issues by Stan Lee and John Romita, and that was the best thing ever!  And at the same time, Marvel reprinted the Stan Lee/Steve Ditko days in small paperbacks and large treasury editions--and I could find more stories in back issues of MARVEL TALES that didn't cost much--and they were magical!  And there was also MARVEL TEAM-UP which was fun but then became amazing when Claremont/Byrne took over!  So, which was my "Golden Age"?  It covered 15 or more years or stories.

And by the time I was 12 or 13, I found the b&w magazine reprints of Will Eisner's THE SPIRIT, which was one of my favorite things!  Who knew I was loving stories from the 1940's?!

Edited by Eric Jansen on 21 June 2021 at 6:09pm

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2021 at 5:24pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I'm mid-40s and my golden era for Comics was the mid to late 80s. It's amazing how quickly it all went downhill. In the early 90s I was still buying and reading regularly but the stuff with the alternate covers and the trading cards started to make me feel a little distanced from what Marvel was doing.

I'd stopped reading UXM in the early 200s, but I remember picking up #275 and liking Jim Lee's artwork and thinking maybe I could get back into it and I picked up a few more. Not too long after they rejigged all the X-titles. New Mutants became X-Force and there was an additional X-Men title. I bought the obligatory first issues (and even the second ones as well) and that became my second jumping off point for the X-Men.

I use to have a hardcore group of titles I collected that I would supplement with a random clutch each month, but that kind of dwindled to a very narrow band. It became harder to find things I liked. By 1992, it was just Namor and Sensational She-Hulk and Batman and Detective and Incredible Hulk and when JB left Namor and She-Hulk, I ditched those.

1993 was pretty much a big cutting off point, which was when I went off to university. I'd pick up the occasional comic (Wonder Woman -- JB was a trusted pair of hands --  or Incredible Hulk), but even that dwindled to nothing within a few years. 

Edited by Peter Martin on 21 June 2021 at 5:27pm

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2021 at 9:29pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The comics I could get in my country were several years "late" (mostly Spanish reprints that went unsold over there, a few bookshops carried American comics that were more current but exorbitantly priced for 10 year old me).

Obviously no internet back then so the whole thing was slightly out of phase for me. I remember that while I was reading JB's Superman I saw in the newspapers that Superman had died! 

When the first Image books started showing up around here (Argentinian editions, I think) I was around 12, the ideal age to pick them up you would think.

But I had already read and loved (to the extent that I could grasp them then) Swamp Thing, Watchmen, Year One...  I wasn't interested in Spawn or Youngblood. Not to toot my own pre-teen self's horn in the taste department but I do remember finding them as aggressively stupid as I find them now. 

In fact I pretty much stopped reading comics at all save for some Vertigo titles for most of my teens and came back in my twenties. I think that's pretty common.

Edited by Rodrigo castellanos on 21 June 2021 at 9:45pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version