Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Interview with Keith Williams Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2021 at 12:33pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Add me to the list of those who have enjoyed the pairing of Byrne and Williams!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2021 at 2:54pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I think Byrne / Williams is my favorite pairing!

Ben Herman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2021 at 3:51am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

"Credit where credit is due"

Speaking as a reader, I have always hoped for proper attribution in the credits, simply because I genuinely was interested in knowing who did what. I do understand that the practice of having uncredited assistants goes all the way back to newspaper comic strips, and to the "Shops" of the Golden Age where numerous people would be working on a single issue in order to make sure that all the work got done.

(It's been interesting to read the entries on https://kirbymuseum.org which attempt to deduce, story by story and page by page, the various uncredited artists employed by Simon & Kirby to do finished pencils and inking.)

However, by the 1980s I feel like creators should have been sufficiently aware of the numerous omissions in credits in the past to try to have credits that are as accurate as possible. Considering how blatantly unfair publishers as well as some creators (Bob Kane, to give a particular glaring example) had often been in assigning credit, one would hope that by the 1980s creators themselves would make more of an effort to be as accurate as possible in crediting those who assisted them.

Going back to something John Byrne touched upon elsewhere, I know he was disappointed that some (most?) of the inking Dick Giordano did over his pencils on the Superman books were done by an uncredited Frank McLaughlin. Personally speaking, I liked McLaughlin's work a lot, but at the very least he should have gotten credit for his efforts, especially as these were high profile books at the time.

That said, looking at comics from that decide, you do gradually start to see credits for inking assistants start to appear. And instead of "M. Hands" or "D. Hands" or whatever appearing in the credits you begin to actually see the actual names of the various artists. (I realize listing five or six inkers can be unwieldy, but it just seems like the most equitable way of handling things.)

So to make a long story short -- TOO LATE -- as a reader I was definite appreciative that John Bynre credited Keith Williams for his contributions.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 May 2021 at 6:31am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Going back to something John Byrne touched upon elsewhere, I know he was disappointed that some (most?) of the inking Dick Giordano did over his pencils on the Superman books were done by an uncredited Frank McLaughlin. Personally speaking, I liked McLaughlin's work a lot, but at the very least he should have gotten credit for his efforts, especially as these were high profile books at the time.

••

I had no problem with McLaughlin's inks per se, but he was not what I'd asked for. Dick had promised to ink the job entirely himself, and he didn't.

Back to Top profile | search

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2021 at 6:55am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Ron Wilson has also praised JB in interviews in the past. As well as JRjr saying that working with JB and Frank Miller were his 2 favorite stints - high praise considering how many people he's worked with.

I have to assume that a key ingredient is that JB (as well as Miller) are writers that happen to also be pencillers as well as inkers - a rare breed in the comics field. So they know what it's like to be on both sides of the process, and treat other artists accordingly.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 May 2021 at 7:20am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Ron Wilson has also praised JB in interviews in the past. As well as JRjr saying that working with JB and Frank Miller were his 2 favorite stints - high praise considering how many people he's worked with.

••

I think both appreciated the FREEDOM I gave them.

In one issue of IRON MAN I did with JRjr, I distilled an entire sequence down to one word: FIGHT! And off he went for half a dozen (brilliant) pages.

When Peter David found out about this he declared this was "typing, not writing". Fair enough, I guess, if he thinks he can tell JRjr how to draw!

Blair Herd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2021 at 9:42am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Keith is probably one of my favourite inkers over your work.  He is a very humble and warm personality.  Have met you as well, I am happy that the Bad Byrne stories couldn't be farther from the truth.  Always great when someone you idolize turns out to be just as impressive in person.  Glad I got the opportunity.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2021 at 2:02pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I once posted about the JRJR ‘FIGHT!’ anecdote & someone could not
believe you gave such little direction.

They couldn’t see that this was a true collaboration where you had
complete trust & understanding in the bill ties of the artist.

For me, I do think that a lot of modern writers want to be directors
rather than writers & you can see that they even give layout design
instructions - to the artist!

It totally boggles my mind.

Bill Dowling
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2021 at 3:14pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Do you recall which issue of Iron Man that was? (The “FIGHT!” thing)

Ben Herman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2021 at 8:25pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

It's regrettable that Keith Williams doesn't have any regular assignments. Of course, that's unfortunately true for a lot of other equally talented artists in the biz. Ugh, what an industry to work in! It does sound like Keith's getting a lot of commissions, though, so hopefully those are keeping him busy. I got one from him myself earlier this year, and it turned out really well. I definitely recommend him.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version