Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic
Byrne Robotics > Fan Fic << Prev Page of 53 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN 22 --Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 May 2021 at 8:20am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Obviously I'd assume it doesn't 'count' for this series, but I think that was the first time it was suggested Jean had telepathic abilities pre-Xavier training her.

•••

sigh

I tried so hard to phrase my question to make it clear I wasn’t looking for retcons. I’m trying to find out when Jean first demonstrated telepathic abilities in the original series.

Back to Top profile | search

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2021 at 8:48am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

JB: "...Does anyone recall the first time Jean manifested her telepathy? Was there an in-story explanation at the time? Xavier “sharing” his power while he was “dead” was a retcon, after all.)..."

It was mentioned right after his supposed death, in issue #43, in a video recording Xavier left for the team in the event of his passing, saying that he knew he was dying due to an incurable disease. He explained: 

"So that my mental powers may not be entirely lost to you, I have secretly been preparing Jean Grey! By now, she should have added telepathy to her mind-over-matter abilities!"

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 May 2021 at 8:53am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Xavier preparing for his own death was factored in that far back? Some degree of setting up an exit plan if the death turned out to be a bad idea?

We’ll never know!

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2021 at 9:17am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Yeah, right before he "died", Xavier and Jean were shown to be up to something,  which angered the other team members because they were not being let in on whatever was happening.  It was revealed after his death that he had been preparing Jean and asked her not to say anything to her teammates. 

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2021 at 9:27am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Swooning over the first panel today. Great shot of 4/5 of my favorite X-Men. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

L Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2021 at 9:36am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I really like Storm's face in the last panel.

Jonathan Watkins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2021 at 12:20pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

In the case of ELSEWHEN, of course, the first issue can be... the first issue! Since they’re all available, free, there is no need for elaborate flashback scenes. Mind you, sometimes those were fun to draw!

-------

JB, do you have a favorite flashback scene you drew where the scene was originally drawn by another artist?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 May 2021 at 12:25pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

JB, do you have a favorite flashback scene you drew where the scene was originally drawn by another artist?

•••

Not a flashback per se, but in the first GENERATIONS series, when I came to drawing the Dick Sprang vintage Batman, I had a real “Hello, old friend” moment.

Jonathan Watkins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2021 at 12:40pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Thanks for the response. Makes perfect sense. When I look back on the fictional heroes of my youth, they're all fairly 'locked' in how they were represented when I first encountered them. I can appreciate-- sometimes --their later iterations, but nothing feels as real as that first exposure.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jean Sterling Ajouissance
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2021 at 3:17pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Jean's telepathic nudge here was just the latest example of why the X-Men are better than their alternates.  There have already been a couple of times when Cyclops could've blown them off the map... i.e, when he stops the Scarlet Witch, his blast was pretty much tantamount to a shove.

And earlier when he catches (most) of them in a single blast --- again: hard shove.  That is to say, they were able to walk it off.

For a guy who can punch a hole through mountains, the restraint he uses against folks who boast about their kill-crazy intentions is notable.

Same with the Professor.
He has both Magnetos just as open and vulnerable as he pleases, but he doesn't mind wipe 'em, put 'em in comas, or turn them into blubbering children (Cassandra Nova/Wolverine/Joss Whedon).

These villains are lethal threats, but the X-Men are heroes at the height of their professionalism & skill.

Alt- Magneto is wrong to think that these heroes are "lesser than." 
They're playing by heroes rules;  if they were bloodlusted, they'd make mincemeat of the alts.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2021 at 7:17am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Yikes! I wouldn't ever want to get on Pablo's bad side.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2021 at 8:21am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Well, since no one else wants to dive in, I get to ask more questions!

Woot!

JB, when you draw characters in silhouette - as they are in the second panel of today's page - how much of the details do you complete before filling each figure?

<< Prev Page of 53 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version