Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: How to write The Hulk Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2021 at 7:23am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Another thread had me thinking about Hulk stories I've enjoyed the most. It's one of those characters I tend to pogo-stick in and out of enjoying, and I was wondering why.

It occurs to me I like The Hulk best when he is the subject matter that characters interact with, rather than the main character. I guess Bruce Banner is the main character in this case, rather than the character of the Hulk?

I think of JB's first run, and how much of the plot centered around "how do we stop The Hulk?" I think those stories resonate more with me than The Hulk himself? And really, there's only so many ways to tell that story.

Thoughts from others?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2021 at 7:38am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Years ago I was able to read the entire Hulk series from the original six issue beginning all the way through the end of the Peter David run of stories. And while the quality varied over the years what I found really compelling was how adaptable the character is. He could be hunted by the military for a few issues. Then be blasted off into space and have different adventures there. Come back to Earth and fight the leader for a bit. And then be off to the Microverse and have different circumstances/adventures there. He's just such a malleable character. The status quo doesn't have to be the same. Or be set for very long. As long as there was a compelling story it was worth reading.

This is true to a certain extent for many characters. But for the Hulk it seems to be a lot easier to do. I really enjoy the potential for different story options.

One important aspect of that is that the supporting characters do have to be worth reading about. If he's saddled with boring companions the story will suffer.
Back to Top profile | search

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2021 at 7:41am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I've largely enjoyed the Immortal Hulk- it's occasionally overly convoluted but interesting, well written and well drawn and even though a departure of sorts from the Jolly Green Giant is still drawing from the entire varied history of the Hulk.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Marc M. Woolman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2021 at 9:47am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Love the Immortal Hulk series. While I'm not a fan of the body-horror transformations, that's about my only Nitpick.

The writer, Al Ewing showed how easy it is to acknowledge past continuity and the go the way you want to take the story and characters, with just a few smart,well-written sentences.
It puts to shame the bitching I've read from several comics writers over the years that the reason they just ignored everything that happened in the title just before they took over the book was because "they didn't want to do the work/it would be too much work" to smoothly get the book and character(s) from where they were to where the new new writer wants to start.

As for writing the Hulk in general, I prefer a fierce, intellugent, dangerous to anyone foolish enough to cross him, Hulk. One that the authorities and other Heroes may worry about or fear, but a Hulk that isn't a threat to anyone that hasn't actually attacked him or wronged him somehow, and a Hulk that will begrudgingly do the right thing and save people when it's needed.

I don't like "Evil" Hulk with no redeeming qualities, or dumb, "Hulk talk like 2 year old and loves baked beans" portrayals either.
(and an intelligent Hulk that is 90 percent Bruce Banner in terms kidness, gentleness, & scientific acumen with very little or no ferocity, doesn't appeal to me either.)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 April 2021 at 10:20am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I prefer a fierce, intelligent, dangerous to anyone foolish enough to cross him, Hulk.

••

AKA the Thing.

Paul Wills
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2021 at 12:12pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I like the issues where Hulk smash
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2021 at 12:28pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

On the one hand, I like and completely get the Hulk being the subject of a broader storyline that focuses on other; yet, on the other hand, I greatly empathize with those who want to see Hulk be a more central starring character in his own book.  

The grown-up in me understands the former probably works "better".  Yet, I remember full well as a kid/teen wanting to see much more Hulk as the focus of each issue.  Even when watching the television show, there was never ever ENOUGH Hulk to satisfy me.  

I suppose since these characters/stories/comics are supposed to be primarily for kids, with an eye on all-ages as gravy if it can be managed - the latter should win.

Marc

Craig Earl
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2021 at 3:47am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

One of my favourite single issues featuring the Hulk was DD 163 where (along with the JB run) we really got to see the destructive power of the monster. 

To me, the Hulk book should almost be approached as a horror title and the character himself depicted as unpredictable and scary.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2021 at 6:43am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

The Hulk is not a superhero. He's not even an antihero. He's a monster who has a habit of getting in the way of supervillains. Writers since Stan Lee have played around with making Bruce as the "real" Hulk, but you just end up with another character. 

Jim Burdo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2021 at 9:39am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

John Byrne wrote:
I prefer a fierce, intelligent, dangerous to anyone foolish enough to cross him, Hulk.

••

AKA the Thing.

The Thing is more of a good-hearted, unambiguous hero. I can't see the Hulk tolerating the Yancy Street Gang.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 April 2021 at 11:24am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

++

AKA the Thing.

===

The Thing is more of a good-hearted, unambiguous hero. I can't see the Hulk tolerating the Yancy Street Gang.

••

Precisely my point. The Thing has INTELLIGENCE. Give the Hulk Banner's intelligence--or even a shadow of it--and he would be much easier to deal with.

Mark McKay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2021 at 12:40pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Without changing the original concept too much, is the Hulk a bit similar to the Atom, in that there really are only a handful of stories to tell? 

A move toward making him intelligent, putting him into a different dimension, or whatever trick you use, kind of changes the concept, doesn’t it?

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version