Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: Hardest superhero to write (hold the reality, please) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2021 at 4:26pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

If he drops in on a criminal operation and just starts shooting people there's always a chance he kills someone who is undercover so he's reckless in that regard.

=====================================================

Mike Baron and Chuck Dixon went to great lengths to show how The Punisher planned everything so as to avoid harming an innocent.

And, it's a conceit of the character. We seem to have let reality enter too much in to comics.

I never thought that when I was reading The Incredible Hulk or The  Punisher that they were taking out innocents as they went about things. These are levels of reality we don't need.
Back to Top profile | search

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2021 at 6:19pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Adult collectors can be persuaded to accept conceits - children reading comics likely don't know what the word "conceit" means.  What do you say to one who asks "daddy, what happened to all the people in that building!??" 

Kids today are not like the kids of yesteryear - they want to know who, what where, when and WHY.

Marc

Edited by Marc Baptiste on 16 April 2021 at 6:21pm

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2021 at 1:55am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Adult collectors can be persuaded to accept conceits - children reading comics likely don't know what the word "conceit" means.  What do you say to one who asks "daddy, what happened to all the people in that building!??

It's a natural question.

And the movies (which have a lot more eyes on them than the comics) made it a center point to address these issues, even Snyder did.

The whole AGE OF ULTRON / CIVIL WAR era revolved around civilians (humanitarian workers even) that the Scarlet Witch accidentally killed in battle.

It's a very loaded issue obviously and had its in-universe consequences but Scarlet Witch carried on and this very year had a monster hit series of her own (and with other heavy ethical issues of its own as well) yet I haven't heard many voices saying "she's no longer a hero!" or anything of the sort.

Hence, my failure to see what's exactly different about The Hulk (who is, to put it mildly, a very non-traditional hero) in this context.

Edited by Rodrigo castellanos on 17 April 2021 at 1:57am

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2021 at 2:30am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

If the Hulk recklessly ever killed a whole bunch of innocent bystanders, then he really should have been hunted down early on by the Army, the Avengers, the Fantastic Four, everybody--relentlessly, until his threat was permanently ended one way or another.  There could never be hope for Bruce Banner ever having a happy ending or a one day return to a normal life.  The Hulk should never be given any credit for the times he's been a hero or had Banner's brain.  The times the Hulk was exiled to outer space or another dimension.would be the luckiest thing ever for Banner and any attempts to return would be tantamount to murder (or further murder).

It would be bad writing to write the often likable Hulk and the very sympathetic Banner into such a dead end corner.  I recently read the collected FRANKENSTEIN'S MONSTER that Marvel did in the 70's.  He killed people and not enough care was taken to write him in a sympathetic light.  It lasted 18 issues, and I was glad when it was over.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2021 at 5:52am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

"... yet I haven't heard many voices saying "she's no longer a hero!" or anything of the sort."

Well, she did hold an entire town captive and had them do things beyond their control, and now is in seclusion . So I'm not sure if she's 100% in the "Hero" category at the moment.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2021 at 6:24am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Greg,
I guess my take on the Punisher is based on how I viewed him in those issues of Amazing Spider-Man as a kid. Mercy bullets made it a little easier to view him as a good guy but they did away with those when killing bad guys became his main thing in the 80's.

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2021 at 8:09am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Huh. If you think about it, maybe in-universe, J. Jonah Jameson is responsible for the hyphen in Spider-Man.

Spidey wasn't going around leaving notes or sending emails. Jonah is a professional editor. The hyphen ensures you say it right and makes the "spider" aspect hit home.

Edited by Richard Stevens on 17 April 2021 at 8:11am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2021 at 8:32am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Richard- Because I have nothing else better to do I had to find out who did it first!

The Bugle along with a bunch of other papers had it "Spiderman" before The Globe put theirs out.

J.J.J.wrote "Spider-Man" for the first time in his Now magazine.

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2021 at 9:08am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Well then, there you have it!
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 April 2021 at 9:47am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

With the typical Marvel fumbling around, the character was called “Spider Man” (on two lines) on the cover of AMAZING FANTASY 15. On that same cover he referred to himself as “Spider-Man”. And, of course, Doctor Octopus called him “Super-Man”.

When in doubt, tradition wins!

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2021 at 12:11pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Well, she did hold an entire town captive and had them do things beyond their control, and now is in seclusion . So I'm not sure if she's 100% in the "Hero" category at the moment.

Yeah, the events on Wandavision are a lot more problematic for me, and things seem to be going the way of making her a "House of M" style antagonist in the future.

But that's an in-universe thing, as well as the Civil War thing. With the movie fans she seems to still be very popular and we've read a gazillion think pieces about her grief and stuff that were sympathetic to her.

And those same fans seem to think the Hulk kills people in his rampages and don't seem to care as well. So it's the "Hulk accidentally kills someone in battle: automatic villain" thesis that I disagree with, mainly.

Not because of my personal position about it, since I don't have one (as opposed to Superman or Batman) but just by looking at the context.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2021 at 2:32pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

As a Jewish New Yorker, Stan would probably have heard
Spiderman as “Spidermun”.
Cue FRIENDS reference.
------------------------------------------
I have that Friends clip on an easy reference so I can post
it on any of my (literal not TV show) friends' Facebook
posts where they don't include the hyphen any time they
reference Spider-Man.

It is, without doubt, a pleasure to watch each time.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version