Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 14
Topic: Covid-19 Vaccinations Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2021 at 6:07am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Peter Hicks wrote:
The best ones (Pfizer and Moderna) appear to prevent 95% of people from contracting Covid after people are fully immunized.   But 5% still contract and spread the virus.

This isn't actually how efficacy works. In the trial, Pfizer showed an efficacy of 95% --as you say -- but this means vaccinated people in the trial had a 95% lower risk of being infected than the control group.

Far fewer than 5% of vaccinated people will contract and spread the virus.

If vaccinated with Pfizer, the trial suggested an infection risk of 0.04%. The infection of the control group was 0.74%. In other words, the vaccine improved the risk of infection by 0.7%. This is a 95% improvement -- which is the efficacy.
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2021 at 11:43am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Got my second shot today!

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2021 at 11:56am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Our most holy of governors has now recommended that our citizens
stop asking for vaccine advice from their primary care providers or
medical professionals and ask their pastors and priests at their church
what they should do.

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2021 at 3:01pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Brian,

Free Speech AND Religious Freedom wrapped into one!  

Marc

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2021 at 4:07pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Canada opened it's border to the vaccinated but still not getting it opened to us with a higher vaccination rate and mark wearing, maybe because of the anti 'passport' politics in the U.S.? The marine services between us where I am might go under for good losing a second summer season and now fall. My BF can now come here but has to get a test 72 hours before as well as proof he was vaccinated, but without the ferry service we usually use it's a lot longer and costlier. He is still wearing a mask indoors but says most are not where he is.

I was watching NYC mayor deBlasio touting the safety of their big central park opening up NY concert today and he said people can get a shot and be enjoying it in under an hour? Huh? They do know it takes around two weeks or so for immunity to build... don't they? Also even though outdoors it's very crowded and I saw no masks (fall out from the no need for masks once someone has had a shot?)

Some Christian churches in North America are preaching that vaccines, and specifically the covid ones, are "the number of the beast" according to their reading of the holy scriptures and the faithful must not get that on them or they'll be burning in hell. Fox news channel opinion mavens are endorsing meds made for animals even the maker says is not effective covid treatment based on some fraudulent and even plagiarized now withdrawn report (broadcast license ought to be done for them at this point... wither the FCC?).

74% + fully vaccinated where I am, they are now doing walk-ins for anyone and kids. Heard the U.S. just passed 50% with at least one shot, but herd immunity will be impossible, and I'm not even sure with Canada, though I doubt having opened to visitors being much of a factor as we will have to see proof (call it a 'passport' or not).
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jim Burdo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2021 at 2:31am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Fox isn't a broadcast station.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2021 at 12:10pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

"The U.S. Code of Federal Regulations, title 47, part 97 defines broadcasting as transmissions intended for reception by the general public, either direct or relayed".

Fox news channel is not "private or two-way communication". If there are any regulations on disinformation endangering the public I think Fox News Channel has violated those terms multiple times and cable television is broadcasting: "Fox News Channel is an American multinational cable news television channel based in New York City. The channel broadcasts primarily from studios at 1211 Avenue of the Americas in Midtown Manhattan. Fox News provides service to 86 countries and overseas territories worldwide."

Maybe you can get away with shooting brown children holding toy guns in parks, cell phones in their grand parents' backyard or skittles near a 'deadly' sidewalk in the U.S. these days, but outright seriously harmful to the general population dissemination of falsehoods, repeatedly, on medical issues going against all top qualified medical organizations' consensus facts... that is insanity to have allowed and continue to allow. I apologize that I must dare mention Canada as better at something but it's what I'm familiar with...

"The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) is a public organization in Canada with mandate as a regulatory agency for broadcasting and telecommunications."

"The Canadian Broadcast Standards Council is an independent organization for private Canadian broadcasters. It establishes standards for programming that its members agree to maintain. If you think a broadcaster is falling below certain standards, you can contact the CBSC with your concerns."

Anyone who has complained about Fox news channel online (and believe it or not I have even defended it in the past here based on what limited exposure I'd had) needs to get their crap together and complain to your FCC about them now. Or do the people truly have no power anymore outside consumer boycotts (aka 'cancel culture')? Some U.S. broadcasters are seriously getting into third world lawless nation status from what I've seen recently.

Here is something you can do for your country... find out how to file complaints with your FCC and any other non-industry backed regulatory body, even if just another empty office these days. I've communicated with Canada's CRTC in the past and will be complaining forcefully about Fox New Channels' continuing false information pertaining to covid which negatively, directly, and demonstrably effects Canadians, violating a number of regulations we have! I will also forward the complaint to the CBSC and demand that the channel not be available in Canada anymore. By our law the CRTC have to respond to all communications from the public.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2021 at 7:36pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Following continual promotion of Ivermectin, a prescription pharmaceutical mostly used on livestock, by Fox News Channel 'hosts' as some kind of alternative treatment for covid for anti-vacciners, prescriptions for it have shot from an average of 3,600 prescriptions written to 88,000, with significant numbers of people taking this drug ending up in hospital for days at a time when beds are most needed! So much for they couldn't say it or publish it if it wasn't true... in the U.S. that means nothing because so little ever happens to the crooks, nuts and creeps behind these disinformation campaigns!

Watching the Seattle area Fox news the other night I saw up to 30% of firefighters in Tacoma are considering abandoning their careers rather than accept having a vaccine imposed on their bodies, and today stories of similar police union statements across the U.S. This stuff is almost like news from another planet, but I can guarantee there will now be some individuals in Canada now taking this same principled stand. Let's just say that doing it to protect truly vulnerable people and children would fall on deaf ears for these public service minded career people... well, how about this: let's say, wildly, based on zilch, but why argue, ten thousand people were made ill by the approved vaccines (as opposed to what's been peddled by Trump and Fox 'hosts') and a thousand even died from it... well listen bozos: we're way over four million worldwide who are d.e.a.d. dead! Do the math for yourselves. You are going to tell me putting a little mask of some sort on is too much of an imposition in the face of that? I'd heard of nurses in some parts Texas refusing to wear masks and walking out a few months back, but can it be we are still smack dab in the middle of stupidsville in so many places, even Tacoma, Washington (a state to which my country has opened it's border and still sees no sign of that courtesy being reciprocated)? :^(

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 14
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version