Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: The Best Comic Never Made Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2021 at 2:46pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

"Aside from that one house ad that many of us of a certain age remember, I would never consider Frank Miller to be a good fit for DR. STRANGE"

--

But since we never saw him work on STRANGE outside of that one house ad, how do you know for sure? Maybe it would have made Miller work entirely different muscles than what he developed on Daredevil or Dark Knight.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 March 2021 at 2:58pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Frank did a Spider-Man annual with Dr Strange, which is what got him considered for the regular gig.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2021 at 4:01pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Well, I certainly wasn't trying to put down Mr. Miller!  It's just SO much of his output was crime stuff, it seems peculiar now to think of him on any sort of fantasy book.  But I wouldn't have pegged him for sci fi either, and he gave us RONIN, and I remember a couple of CAPTAIN MARVEL space covers he did that were fantastic!

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2021 at 4:12pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I'll second a couple of ideas already presented, but I'll elaborate on them.

DEFENDERS by John Byrne--Because, duh, he did such a fantastic job on the solo HULK and NAMOR titles and also on Dr. Strange whenever he had him guest star (and JB has enough of Ditko in him to get those "other realms" just right!).  He'd be great on the big guns, but I'd also like to see what he could do with Valkyrie, Nighthawk, and Hellcat too.

THOR by John Byrne--Few people have the "Kirby power" to handle the art on THOR properly, but JB certainly could do it (especially based on the commissions I've seen here) and his work on FOURTH WORLD proves he's got the writing side of the job down too.

SHAZAM by John Byrne--Yep, this is one of comicdom's greatest missed opportunities!  It would have been great fun to see his version of all the old, more cartoony villains and also give the Captain big, new, majestic/cosmic threats to face.

Edited by Eric Jansen on 08 March 2021 at 4:14pm

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2021 at 6:24pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

J.M DeMatteis and Mike Zeck on Detective Comics. This would mainly be about seeing Zeck do a run with Batman, who I think he draws rather brilliantly.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2021 at 6:28pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Eric Jansen wrote:
DR. STRANGE by Jim Starlin (writing and drawing)--His BREED series especially shows his facility with the mystical, as do his WYRD and DARKLOCK. His Strange looks great whenever Starlin uses him as a guest star in his larger stories.

You may already know this, but just in case - if you want a taste of what might have been, he wrote and drew #26 of the 70s/80s Doctor Strange series. It was supposed to be the beginning on a run, but that didn't happen for some reason. He also wrote #24-25 and drew #23.

Jason K Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2021 at 6:44pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The next 24-48 issues of DANGER UNLIMITED. I think that series really could have been something special.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2021 at 6:46pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

My main "might have beens" would be to have seen some classic DC artists playing with Marvel characters. Don't necessarily have preferred writers to pair them with, but I'll throw in a couple:

CAPTAIN AMERICA ANNUAL by Alan Brennert and Jose Luis Garcia Lopez (trying to be somewhat realistic here :-) ). JLGL because he does "heroic" characters so well I'd like to see him playing with Marvel's most heroic. Brennert does nice human stories.

AVENGERS by Paul Levitz and Jim Aparo - on Brave and the Bold Aparo proved he could draw any DC character and do it well; Batman and the Outsiders showed how good he was with team books. So let's see how he can do with the Marvel characters. I know Levitz prefers to write books that are "off the beaten path," but he can handle large rotating casts so why not?

In another vein, I'm currently making my way through 70s Marvels that were written by Chris Claremont, drawn by JB or both, so as a tribute to that:

DEFENDERS by Chris Claremont and John Byrne - Claremont's good with the offbeat characters and JB's JB, so...

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2021 at 9:22pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

CAPTAIN AMERICA by Robert Kanigher and Joe Kubert. WW2 era adventures, obviously. Cap & Bucky in more realistic adventures vs. the Nazis, with the Red Skull used sparingly.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2021 at 12:22am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Frank Miller and David Mazzuchelli on CAPTAIN AMERICA.

Kurt Busiek, Alan Davis and Paul Neary or Mark Farmer on THE INCREDIBLE HULK.

Paul Dini, John Byrne and Terry Austin on BATMAN.

Neil Gaiman and P. Craig Russell on WONDER WOMAN. 

Ann Nocenti and Ivan Reis on GREEN ARROW.

Steve Gerber and Steve Rude on SUPERMAN.

I forgot. The late great Dave Stevens on THE INVADERS. 

Edited by Adam Schulman on 09 March 2021 at 12:28am

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2021 at 4:43am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

A lot of great suggestions!  Playing off of what some have said here, I would love to have seen Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez, Jim Aparo, and Curt Swan do some--any!--Marvel work.  They're so deeply entwined with DC, it's almost impossible to imagine them on Marvel characters.  Well, I think Aparo doing NICK FURY is a given though!

And, yes, I consider Paul Dini the best BATMAN writer!  I could definitely see him teamed with Neal Adams there (not really thinking out of the box, I'll admit!) or Adam Hughes or Frank Cho (mostly I think they'd do great with Bruce Wayne and the women).

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2021 at 5:29am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

SPLIT!!

Haha! I used to have a couple issues :-)

But my answer to this question is Defenders by John
Byrne as well.
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version