Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: The Best Comic Never Made Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2021 at 3:55am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

There have been a number of great runs on various titles, but through the years it seems there were some missed opportunities.  What are some creative teams you'd liked (or loved!) to have seen on which book/character/team?  For brevity's sake, try to keep it down to 3-5 per post and give a reason or three WHY it might have worked.

IRON FIST by Roy Thomas and Neal Adams--The two did wonders on X-MEN, Roy created and wrote IF's origin story (one of my all-time favorite single issues!), and lately I've seen some Adams pin-up pieces that show his style really meshes exceptionally well with IF's costume.  Not to mention Adams' great covers on Marvel's 70's martial arts magazines and the similarity between K'un-Lun and Deadman's Nanda Parbat.  This could have been one for the ages.

SPIDER-WOMAN by Steve Gerber and Gene Colan--The two were one of comics' all-time great teams on HOWARD THE DUCK and other projects, and the offbeat feel Gerber brought to DEFENDERS especially would have been a perfect fit for Jessica Drew's trials and tribulations.  And I just think that Colan would have done a fantastic job on SW's really beautiful original costume.  Add, of course, Tom Palmer or Klaus Janson on inks to keep the mood.

WONDER WOMAN by Gerry Conway and Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez--As evidenced by a number of wonderful covers and one Treasury Edition, Garcia-Lopez proved to be one of WW's very best artists, and he proved himself with Olympian themes during his run on NEW TEEN TITANS.  He and Conway worked well together on some SUPERMAN stories, and Conway wrote my favorite pre-CRISIS WW story (a three-parter where the gods turned against WW).

I could come up with a bunch more, but I'd like to hear some of your ideas first.

Edited by Eric Jansen on 08 March 2021 at 3:58am
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2021 at 5:17am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

DR STRANGE by Roger Stern and Frank Miller

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2021 at 6:34am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

That came up in another thread a while back (the title of which escapes me), and I don't want people to confuse this one with that one.  But as long as you brought it up--why?  Aside from that one house ad that many of us of a certain age remember, I would never consider Frank Miller to be a good fit for DR. STRANGE.  As a kid, I thought it would be great and was disappointed when it didn't happen, but looking back now, I'm SO glad that Stern was paired with Marshall Rogers instead!  THAT was a great run!  A DR. STRANGE artist should be able to draw other realms with something of that Ditko flair, so a few artists come to mind.  And a few writers seem like they would be drawn to the title.  Here's three ideas--

DR. STRANGE by Jim Starlin (writing and drawing)--His BREED series especially shows his facility with the mystical, as do his WYRD and DARKLOCK.  His Strange looks great whenever Starlin uses him as a guest star in his larger stories.

DR. STRANGE by Neil Gaiman and P. Craig Russell--They work well together, Gaiman has given us SANDMAN (and other magical things), and Russell has certainly shown his ability to draw all sorts of mystical swirly details in and around his panels.  Russell has drawn him a bit and a couple of years worth would be very welcome.

DR. STRANGE by Grant Morrison and George Freeman--Morrison may not be my favorite cup of tea, but he seems to excel in mind-blowing trippiness, which might serve Doc well.  I've loved Freeman since his CAPTAIN CANUCK days, and he also includes the illustrative (and swirly) detail that would benefit STRANGE (especially if he colors himself).

Edited by Eric Jansen on 08 March 2021 at 6:38am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 March 2021 at 6:34am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

DR STRANGE by Roger Stern and Frank Miller

••

If only Frank hadn't left to do that James Bond series. . . . . . .

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2021 at 11:53am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Spider-Woman with art by Michael Golden still set in San Francisco with the Jessica Drew detective set up... that would be super cool to me! No idea who I'd want to write it though, someone who knows San Francisco and the west coast well? I know... me! :^)

Or how about Joe Kubert on Wolverine? Inked by Russ Heath!

I have wondered what writer J.M. DeMatteis might've done with the X-Men starting with say #145? Maybe Cockrum but inked by Tom Palmer... if I want to go totally bonkers and think unlikely combinations.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2021 at 12:20pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

But as long as you brought it up--why?

Because I think Frank would’ve done a bang-up job on it, number one.
Two, I can’t remember ever seeing a Stern/Miller collaboration and
think it would’ve been outstanding.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2021 at 12:26pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

[B]THE DEFENDERS by John Byrne and Alan Davis (with Mark Farmer)[/B]
Both are such great artists [I]and[/I] writers that it's difficult to see how pairing the two could go wrong.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Craig Earl
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2021 at 12:36pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I would have loved to see a run of JB's INDIANA JONES with the shackles off..

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2021 at 12:56pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA - Kurt Busiek and Alan Davis

CAPTAIN MARVEL - John Byrne (and y'all KNOW which Cap I mean! :)

JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA - John Byrne

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2021 at 1:00pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I don't know if this counts, please forgive me if not: 

In 1984, Marv Wolfman and George Perez embarked on a newly renumbered NEW TEEN TITANS (Baxter format) series which was originally going to be pencilled AND inked by Perez - the beautiful white matte finish Baxter paper meant to really showcase George's amazing artwork!  Unfortunately, George stopped inking the book after issue 2, and left altogether after issue 5. 

So much was planned for this "new" series: the return of the Olympian gods and Titans of Myth, the return of Blackfire, etc.  However, without George's amazing artwork and very influential co-plotting, we will never really know what it COULD have been.

So, I vote for The New Teen Titans (Baxter format) by Wolfman and Perez issues 6 - onward.

Marc

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 March 2021 at 1:23pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

CAPTAIN MARVEL - John Byrne (and y'all KNOW which Cap I mean! :)

•••

SPLIT!!

Colin Ian Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2021 at 2:36pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I can’t remember ever seeing a Stern/Miller collaboration and think it would’ve been outstanding.
Miller drew a Captain America story scripted by Stern (and co-plotted by Roger McKenzie) in Marvel Fanfare #18.

Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version