Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: What Are You Afraid Of? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2021 at 8:48pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

After years of working in the Restaurant industry, I have one fear, and it
is as real and unpredictably dangerous as any I’ve ever encountered:

Drunk women.

I will attempt running to the other side of the Earth to hide.

Edited by Joe Smith on 07 March 2021 at 8:49pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2021 at 8:59pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Heights. But only in certain situations.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2021 at 9:01am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

As a kid, I was absolutely terrified of tornadoes. In Wisconsin, we had a few storms every summer that would send us running for the basement, but I spent from May to September in dread of any cloud that even looked stormy. It was miserable. And it didn't help that my uncle and older brother used it to torment me either.
Moved to NJ as a preteen and got over it gradually, then realized as an adult that it all stemmed from one time (when I was a four year old) that my mom freaked out (a full blown panic) during a bad storm... and that shaped how I reacted after that.
Nowadays there are things that cause me apprehension but not much I think I'm truly afraid of.

Edited by Andrew Bitner on 08 March 2021 at 9:02am
Back to Top profile | search

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2021 at 9:08am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Any claustrophobes in the widely spaced house with wonderfully tall ceilings?

I am terribly claustrophobic. I am sure there are plenty of people more claustrophobic than me.  But what I experience is horrible...so I feel really bad for someone who has it worse.

The older I get the worse it gets.  I can’t even watch a movie where a character in enclosed in a tight, dark space.   The very thought of not being able to move and BREATHE freely send chills up my back and makes me stand up and MOVE!  In any direction.  It doesn’t matter.

Remember the Ocean’s 11 (Clooney remake)?   The scene where the circus contortionist stuffs himself into a little container and they seal him up in it?  Yeah.  Just writing that shit makes my skin crawl! 

AAARRGH!

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2021 at 9:08am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Interesting that Death wasn't on that list. I suspect that's pretty high on the list.

Someone once noted that people's fear of death is overall #3 and #2 is public speaking. So most people would rather be in the coffin at the funeral than giving the eulogy.

I don't fear death - I almost look forward to it at times. But I dreadfully fear dying. Unless it's easy and painless, I'd rather pick another way that is fast.

I also fear confrontations because I don't know if I trust myself. Lately, my tolerance has been fast and far dropping... but popping someone is probably not a good way to get rid of them.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2021 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

"So most people would rather be in the coffin at the funeral than giving the eulogy."

Ok, that's a good one. And yeah, I'd put death on the top of my list. I personally don't understand how some (usually older) people say that they are ready to go. I don't believe in an afterlife so for me, this is it - that probably adds to my fear. I always want to know "what happens next"!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 March 2021 at 10:55am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Death doesn’t worry me. DYING on the other hand....

I’ve often said there are two phrases I hope will never be applied to me. One is “killed”, unless followed by “instantly”. The other is “dying”, as an active verb. “John is dying.” >shudder<

Joseph Gauthier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2021 at 11:20am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The older I get the worse it gets.  I can’t even watch a movie where a character in enclosed in a tight, dark space.

There's a Disney movie from 1959 called Third Man on the Mountain, in which a character squeezes through a narrow passage and nearly gets stuck; it's haunted me ever since childhood. But other than that one scene, I absolutely love the movie and recently watched it again for the first time in nearly forty years. I remembered exactly where the scene was and felt myself getting progressively more uncomfortable the closer it came. Ultimately, I fast-forwarded through the scene, rather than forcing myself to suffer through it.

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2021 at 11:37am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Heights. It came at around 40. Before that I never was afraid and could bend or lean on any high balconies (above 3 or 4 floors). I can't anymore.

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2021 at 11:40am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Claustraphobia. I only had one crisis but I think I had good reasons. It happened when I was visiting the Pyramids, going down shaky wooden ladders into deeper deeper, smaller and smaller rooms and people kept coming up and down until I really panicked. I had to hurry to a relatively quiet room, crouch and try to forget about the people and the place. Crazy memory ! 

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2021 at 11:43am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

QUOTE:
I still hate fire. Being burned alive would be my biggest fear.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2021 at 11:56am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Helplessness!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version