Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic
Byrne Robotics > Fan Fic << Prev Page of 61 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN.20--Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2021 at 8:11pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Not to belabor it, but I take it to mean then you're able to look back with some pride on at least some of the stuff that came on those rare days.

I'm glad to know it!
Back to Top profile | search

Steven Queen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2021 at 5:24am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

That piece (perhaps because it's B&W) reminds me more of Dave Sim's early-to-mid Cerebus than it does JB. Dave, in turn, was trying to do his best impression of Barry Windsor Smith's Conan, I believe.

You work has indeed progressed in wonderful ways, Mr. Byrne. That jaunty fellow looks much flatter (2D) than anything you might produce today. Furthermore, I suggest that's not how you'd draw a woman's hair anymore either.

Be at peace. Time has been kind to your eyes, hands, and mind.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2021 at 6:31am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

What I see is a foundation upon which you have built steadily, JB, through experimentation, trial and error, and finding inspiration then following where it leads. The page you shared *does* look like your work-- but it doesn't look like what you would draw now. I bet you could make similar comparison with the work of Neal Adams, Michael Golden, Adam Hughes and many more, that their early art is identifiable as theirs.
When the history of this era of comics is written, years from now, you will be remembered as one of the great storytellers of the medium. 
And the rest of us should remember that the greats often can be their harshest critics. It's what happens when you strive toward perfection.
(Or so I'm told.)

Edited by Andrew Bitner on 29 March 2021 at 8:27am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 March 2021 at 7:08am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Neal was one of those who hit the ground running. In many ways, he was almost the reverse of most artists. Most of us turn into caricatures of ourselves as we get older, but Neal, as he moved along, refined his work so that in many ways it’s the early stuff that seems more caricature. Compare X-MEN and BATMAN to BRAVE & BOLD.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2021 at 8:25am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Neal Adams attends conventions in the DC area--he's a regular at Baltimore Comic-Con--and it's good to see him there, surrounded by what seems like a thousand prints of his work. From what I've observed, he's also uncommonly generous with fans and enjoys meeting people who are longtime admirers or have just discovered his art for the first time.

My wife has a print of Rogue he signed for her above her desk.

Edited by Andrew Bitner on 29 March 2021 at 8:27am

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2021 at 8:27am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Sorry, I know the above is a digression. And I agree-- if you hold up "old school" Neal Adams to what he's done more recently, there's a marked progression in his skill and style.

(And darn it, I do know how to spell his name, it's been that kind of morning.)

Edited by Andrew Bitner on 29 March 2021 at 8:28am

Tony Moretti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2021 at 9:27am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Refining his work to eliminate "style", which is as he's defined in one interview I've seen, everything you're doing wrong.

Steven Queen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2021 at 11:28am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

@Tony: I really like that quote. Something an aspiring artist can take to heart.

Joe Parker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 March 2021 at 4:59pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

What I love about Byrne's artwork is that it demands your attention without getting in the way of the story.  I used to read his books once, then go back to linger over the pages at leisure.  His linework is exquisitely detailed, and his human forms are graceful and full of action.  One of the most amazing things is that he can do it month after month at such a high level.  That's crazy hard work...

Art is so subjective.  There are a handful of artists whose work I truly love above all others: Arthur Rackham, Willy Pogany, Norman Rockwell, Michael Golden, P, Craig Russell, and of course John Byrne.  (I'm forgetting some I'm sure.*)  So why these artists and not others with objectively high quality work?  I can only guess that it's each of these artists distinctive style.

EDIT: I forgot Frank Frazetta.  He definitely belongs on the short list of art gods too.

Edited by Joe Parker on 31 March 2021 at 5:03pm

Brad Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 April 2021 at 1:35am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

All these 'great' artists are NOT doing this amazing Elsewhen.

I for one, cannot wait to see how Jahf deals with all this.
Without Banshee around, I do not see any of the Magnetos or his children defeating him.

Is Vuk gone for good?  Or did he head in the same direction as the Imperial Guard?  Are the IG even still in our solar system? Is Kitty gone for 10 issues (like Kurt seemed to disappear)?

Are all the pieces that will be in play here now in play?
Or will furry Beast see his evil self?

One LONG dangling thread that was never addressed during the original Byrne-Claremont run:  
Will we ever find out what that secret mission that Japanese boat was doing in the Straits of Drake (that saved the X-Men and brought them to Japan)?  
Or that thread long-forgotten?
Was that idea yours or Chris' in the first place?

The force(s) that zapped poor squirrel (we hardly knew ye)... whether Phoenix in nature or N'Garai in nature, I don't think I would want to be Magneto or his minions out there with that kind of zapping happening.
I hope to see lots more zapping.

I like how this is exciting yet we cannot predict what is going to happen.

Are there any plans for the "original" Caliban you created (but we never saw)?

Will ever have a day off for these heroes and just get some socializing and expository coverage?  It seems like they never get a break!

Is Mariko of any importance in this reality?

Am I asking too many questions?
Well.. if so.  It's your fault.
Thank you.

Michael Genitempo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 April 2021 at 4:54am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I'd like to think all this discussion/ questions sometimes (at least occasionally) gives JB some new ideas or story angles he might not otherwise had considered. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 April 2021 at 6:30am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

One LONG dangling thread that was never addressed during the original Byrne-Claremont run:

Will we ever find out what that secret mission that Japanese boat was doing in the Straits of Drake (that saved the X-Men and brought them to Japan)?

Or that thread long-forgotten?

Was that idea yours or Chris' in the first place?

••

I had to look this up to know what you were talking about. Definitely another case of Chris scripting more than was in the art. Maybe he had some idea percolating in the back of his brain, maybe not. But if we count this--and that would be a stretch--it might well stand as the very oldest of Claremont's Unresolved Subplots™.

(That scene also gives us Storm using her powers to create an "area of relative calm"--something not seen in the art. ARGH!!)

<< Prev Page of 61 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version