Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: History within Comics Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2021 at 2:05pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

There was always an Omniverse made up of "local clusters" of Multiverses. The DC Multiverse was made up of 52 universes surrounded by the Source Wall. The Source Wall has been broken for a while. So now the whole Omniverse is there to be accessed (presumably -- crossovers with other companies' universes, like the mainstream Marvel U, would have to be arranged).

The Linearverse is just one universe.

The Black Label stuff never takes place in the mainstream DCU. You can think of those stories as part of the Omniverse or you can choose to just not think about it. (Aside from BATMAN: THREE JOKERS, I've ignored the Black Label books. I miss Vertigo. I miss Wildstorm, too.)

I don't know what the future of the Earth One graphic novel series is, nor do I really care. Those stories are part of Universe One within DC's 52 "main" universes. As far as I know, the versions of Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, the Teen Titans, etc. that populate that Earth have never been seen elsewhere. Fine by me.
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2021 at 2:39pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Earth-52

------

I'm a sucker for evil parallel counterparts, so I'm a fan of the evil Nightmare Batmen from DARK KNIGHTs: METAL, but I hate the fact that it introduced a "Dark Multiverse" where the Earths are numbered with negative numbers. Now I have to look carefully to see if people are talking about Earth-52 (Earth-dash-52) or Earth -52 (Earth negative-52)

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2021 at 5:05pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

This is the dumbest and most unnecessarily and convoluted idea added to a superhero comic book universe ever since Marvel introduced that stupid concept about the MU being constantly reborn in order to explain why the characters don't age. I really hate what the MU and DCU have become over the recent years. This is the worse kind of fan fiction.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2021 at 6:35pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

This linearverse idea kind of reminds me of this scene from Justice League of America #144 (by Steve Englehart and Dick Dillon):

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2021 at 6:43pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

They should have gone with ComicMagTimeverse. 

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2021 at 3:18am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

DC owes JB another check. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jeffrey Rice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2021 at 6:47am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

If everyone had the same attitude as Haney, there would be no problems.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 February 2021 at 8:12am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

This linearverse idea kind of reminds me of this scene from Justice League of America #144 (by Steve Englehart and Dick Dillon):

••

Edited by Julie Schwartz, who rolled his eyes at the "archeologists".

That scene is SO f**ked up!!

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2021 at 9:13am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Marvel introduced that stupid concept about the MU being constantly reborn in order to explain why the characters don't age

When did that happen?

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2021 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Now I want to know GL’s response.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2021 at 10:35am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

ITEM: Brian M. - Superman and GL admitted that it was time for GA to finally learn the truth, and they took him to the JLA Trophy Room, to a copy/spare of J'onn J'onzz' uniform because the "true" history of the JLA is based on a Martian invasion. TANGENT: Yes indeed, Mr. Byrne - that scene is indeed screwed up!

TANGENT ITEM: Boy, do I like to see Dick Dillin's art again.

ITEM: Just because... anyone remember Hypertime? Yeah, I didn't think so.

ITEM: This is intensely f*cked up. Writers or editors want three timelines* for the DCU(s) now? Are they FORCING a situation that mandates yet ANOTHER Infinite Crisis? Why make comics even harder to understand now???

*Or four, if you count all the crossover comics in their own world. Honestly, thinking that Archie and Jughead, Napoleon Solo and Ilya Kuryakin, and Donatello, Leonardo, Michelangelo, and Raphael all exist in the same DC crossover world kinda gives me a good tingle. Can't wait to see the Avengers team up with Blue Falcon and Dynomutt!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 February 2021 at 11:02am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

It’s important to keep in mind that CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS was born out of incredible elitism on the part of many pros and older fans. Of course, they could find their way thru all the multiple Earths, no problem. But “new readers” would be confused.

Solution, a huge and convoluted (and ill-conceived) STUNT guaranteed to have anal fanboys creaming their jeans and “new readers” running for the hills.

“Come read DC comics! But first, here’s a mountain of homework!”

As some of you know, Dick Giordano first approached me about taking on this project, then under the working title of HISTORY OF THE DC UNIVERSE. The plan was to tell the whole convoluted “history” in 12 issues, pounding everything into some semblance of a coherent shape and blowing everything up in the last issue.

I declined (for a number of reasons), and said that instead DC should just STOP DOING the kinds of stories that were deemed “confusing”.

“Oh, we can’t do that,” said Dick.

sigh

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version