Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic
Byrne Robotics > Fan Fic << Prev Page of 50 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN.18--Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2021 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Robbie Moubert wrote:

I enjoy the daily posts (something to look forward to during the various lockdowns) but I wish that everyone would realise that these are still "regular" 20-page comics and should be viewed as such. Unfortunately some people feel the need to over-analyse each page, employing a scrutiny I'm sure they wouldn't use if reading normally. It's particularly annoying when people question things without waiting to see if the explanation is forthcoming in a page or two.

Robbie, you are not wrong...BUT, with the pages in slow-reveal mode it does give JB a chance to speak about each one (magic!), and for us fans to really focus on and savoy each element in a way that's hard to do otherwise (when you get caught up in the plot).

Experiencing them this way is unique and special in it's own right. Reading them traditionally as a full book can be done (too) at a later date, of course. I am thankful for this wonderfully unique and interactive way of enjoying a creator's story. It's almost like he's reading you a chapter out of his new novel each evening before bed. A golden moment in time for us lucky few aware of it happening.

Edited by Steven Queen on 14 January 2021 at 10:01am
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2021 at 10:06am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Mr. Byrne, I am LOVING this series, and I've no complaint in sight. Oh, comments, sure - but overall, I am loving this free gift of yours.

Someday, I so want to see you draw Fonebone Man. I'm dying to see him - even in Don Martin style (a la your Power Man and Iron Fist - CLASSIC HUMOR!)

We've seen so little of Astra, and I'm interested to see an offensive treatment of her powers. Possibly like the Vision I guess... but I credit your imagination to far more than that, Mr. Byrne.

I am enamored with your release schedule, Mr. Byrne, so you do it YOUR way. Daily panels, monthly collections, or switch it up some - I KNOW I'll be there for your work!

I am intrigued that Jean is not trying to tear those clothes off to get to access her powers. I'm certain that this was designed for Phoenix, so there's no wonder that it's her size, and it's an interesting look. Maybe "locked" on her, somehow...

Thanks for the ongoing fun and frolic, Mr. Byrne!

Michael Genitempo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2021 at 10:37am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Is the requirement for membership in the Imperial Guard insufferable arrogance?
>>

Insufferable Guard! LOL

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 January 2021 at 10:46am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Imagine how scary all of this has to be for the non-powered parents of Ashley, Jean and Pablo!

••

A not uncommon condition for MOST people in this "reality". Imagine what it must be like for the reg'lar folk to have to deal with living in a world where godlike beings walk among them----not to mention actual gods!

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 14 January 2021 at 11:01am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

This series has been amazing, and this issue is off the hook fantastic so far.

I am a big supporter of the page-a-day release - if the momentum is a problem
for some readers, wait until they are done and read the full issue. The page a
day is a first and a great model.

Tony Salmon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2021 at 12:33pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I'm loving the page-a-day format.  It adds to the enjoyment of seeing each new day's reveal expand the ongoing story, building into a whole greater than the sum of its parts.  
Being able to then go back and read the whole again and make sense of some connections that had been forgotten (by the reader, NOT the creator) or misconstrued is heavenly from my perspective.  
I've not felt this growing wonder and satisfaction for many comics in recent years.  Thanks so much, JB, for bringing this into our lives.  It is so appreciated.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2021 at 1:33pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

It really fits that the Imperial Guard show a lot of arrogance, the Legion they're based on often had a strange undercurrent of aggressiveness even among the heroes who would turn on the Legion and each other suddenly or be banished in shame... the female members 'revolted' a couple of times as did the Super-Pets, and then they treated Superboy like the butt of some kind of elaborate nasty prank a couple of times. So often part of a 'clever ruse' to just appear they had flipped (making for a the dramatic cover) and all would be back to normal at the end... except wouldn't they start to really distrust each other more and more after each time? Oh there was no time to explain the secret plan to you victims, take my/our word for it. We didn't mean the terrible and juvenile things we said or did. Wildfire's introduction was about a character more arrogant and cocky than the others, but at the end of the first intro it seemed his using his superior power had wiped him out.

So if all of the Guard dopplegangers, except for maybe Gladiator (at least Superboy was usually a decent and sympathetic person in those Legion betrayal stories if not always the 'victim' of them), have gotten zorched into oblivion in this series it's fine with me. That was one comic that started building up a dead members roster early on too. Hmm, I wonder if Thunderbird in X-Men #95 was a conscious replay of Jim Shooter's Ferro Lad... each was sort of brought back with younger brothers much later too.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Sean Sinclair
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2021 at 4:06pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

John Byrne wrote:
Then I hope today's page cheers you up!

It did, very much, thanks!! 

L Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2021 at 5:03am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I'm kind of rooting for Astra, I really like her but I imagine I am going to be disappointed :)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 January 2021 at 7:20am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I'm kind of rooting for Astra…

••

:-ppppppppppppp

Philippe Pinoli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2021 at 8:11am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I like your cyborg Oracle look !
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2021 at 8:23am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Ah, Oracle... But it can be... And it is!
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 50 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version