Posted: 10 December 2020 at 9:25am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Spiderman

•••

sigh

Back to Top profile | search

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2020 at 9:27am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Something pointed out to me today in dramatic fashion is the problem with just about every super hero outfit in the 90s, demonstrated by Cyclops - as a counter example.

Cyclops' uniform is perfect. Mostly unicolor. Smooth, form-fitting, and no excessive gear or pieces (save for his belt.) No leather jackets, no pouches, no fringe, no frills, no excessive loose costume bits - not even a cape.* CLEAN. Clean and straight and tight. That's how an outfit should be. All that other folderol is merely a way for a foe to grab part of the hero.

* I am straining my memory at the moment to think of caped heroes in the MU in the classic eras. I get Thor, the Vision, the Black Knight, Dr. Strange, the Black Widow, the Black Panther... I'm probably forgetting one or two, but that's about it. It was a paradigm shift from DC in the 50s, 60s, 70s. Not good, not bad, but a rather extreme change. One that made sense to me.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2020 at 10:26am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Re: Nightcrawler vs. Spider-Man; Disorientation, rage, and fatigue are all part of Kurt's reasoning at this point. He has been through a lot without taking a moment for himself-- only to arrive too late to save his love. It's about as rotten a thing to go through as can be. If he managed to get pants on the right way at this point, it'd be a massive achievement.

Re: Kitty and Cyclops -- What a cool concept to test out: would Scott's phased eyes produce full-on optic blasts? Or..?

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2020 at 10:28am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

And note to the Elsewhen staff: The book continues to be amazing! I will definitely renew my subscription!

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2020 at 11:01am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Cyclops hasn't been this good in ages. And Nightcrawler's anguish is breaking my heart, even as Spider-Man does what he can to help the poor guy understand what happened.

There are so few creators who so deeply get both the writing and the art side of making comic books. JB is among the very tiny number who produce stories that will live for ages, because in his work, there is that perfect marriage of word and image.

If you had told me years ago I would have the chance not only to see JB continue the X-Men story as he would have done it but also comment (and hear back from JB himself!), I couldn't have believed it.

Thanks, JB. 2020 has been a hard year; I'm grateful that Elsewhen gives us somewhere to go to escape the news and uncertainties of the day.

Edited by Andrew Bitner on 10 December 2020 at 11:02am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 December 2020 at 12:00pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

If you had told me years ago I would have the chance not only to see JB continue the X-Men story as he would have done it but also comment (and hear back from JB himself!), I couldn't have believed it.

•••

A moment to remind everyone that ELSEWHEN does not represent what I would actually have done, continuing the series circa 1980. This is all new, all different—to phrase a coin.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2020 at 1:52pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I am straining my memory at the moment to think of caped heroes in the MU in the classic eras. I get Thor, the Vision, the Black Knight, Dr. Strange, the Black Widow, the Black Panther.
-------------------------------------------------
Depends when you're defining the classic era. I know Black Widow once had a cape, but the classic costume to me is the catsuit.

Once again, depends on the era, but Scarlett Witch is a hero in my books and a big cape wearer.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2020 at 3:09pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Peter M. - I meant silver and early bronze age (Mr. Byrne doesn't like those designations so much.) Hadn't thought of golden age, but Miss America certainly qualified.

And Wanda fits perfectly. I was citing that original costume that Black Widow wore, just because I think it was sexy.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2020 at 3:47pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

They're not such big guns, but you can throw in Moondragon and Valkyrie.

I do prefer Marvel characters to be without cloaks. Cyclops' uniform is a classic, a masterpiece of minimalism. Most of the redesigns have not understood that and tried to add extraneous detail. So we got leg bands, belt pouches, piping, seams... and none were an improvement. Less is more.

Love seeing the proper Cyclops in Elsewhen.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2020 at 4:26pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Peter - They're plenty good enough. Thanks for reminding me!

Chris Wood
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2020 at 4:40pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I'm really enjoying the guest starsI I couldn't ask for more, except perhaps an Avengers Elsewhen, a Fantastic Four Elsewhen, a Spider-Man Elsewhen ...

Jeffrey Rice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2020 at 9:32am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

To be clear, I would imagine Cyclops and Kitty would act in a hit-and-phase attack. I don't want to hurt my brain with phased eye blasts!

<< Prev Page of 33 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version