Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: Question for JB re: Wolverine’s untold Origin Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2020 at 7:45pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Just one lone voice in the wilderness, but I personally love this Elsewhen with all the crap of subsequent decades of mishandling the uncanny mutants stripped away of all the "kewl" clutter.

I find it utterly refreshing to revisit 'my' X-Men which go until around issue 150.  The White Queen appearing unscathed in 151 starts the madness from which I now (in retrospect) began resisting.

All this being said, I would really love to see a decent Wolverine origin story from master John Byrne.  After all, it was JB's focus on Logan that caused him to rise as the most popular mutant over time.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 November 2020 at 8:10pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Mea culpa, mea culpa.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2020 at 6:40am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Wolverine certainly became something completely different from his initial start. I would say that the mystery surrounding his background was what intrigued me as a fan. Looking back I think a good writer could have periodically dropped a tidbit about Logan’s past without revealing everything and kept that going for years. Having him thrust into a leadership role never seemed good to me, but it is always a delicate balance between plausible and impossible regarding comics. Having JB’s take on the character realized should be fun. I will say with every issue of Elsewhen it gets easier and easier to l ignore my pesky memories of past X-Men issues. Looking forward to completely abandoning memories with Elsewhen double sized issue #100. :)

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2020 at 8:37am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The need to have everything explained is toxic to storytelling. There are some characters who need to have some mystery to them. Once you strip that away, they are no longer as cool.

The Man With No Name doesn't become a better character when you find out his name is Bob Jenkins and he was a printer's assistant before going West. (To invent an example.)

It would have been vastly better to leave Logan the hell alone, but some writers can't resist it. They HAVE to be "the guy who told that story." To hell with them-- their ego wrecks characters and they go on to Hollywood or wherever, blissfully unconcerned with what they left in their wake.

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2020 at 8:39am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

It has been so weird to see Wolverine used as a leader. If Logan is ever in charge, ever the one we all look to – that should be an "oh shit" moment of desperation, not a story about a wise old man.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2020 at 8:43am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Wasn't Sabretooth Wildchild's father (too)?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2020 at 9:18am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Wolverine really should not be a leader. He doesn't have the temperament for it.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 December 2020 at 9:30am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Wasn't Sabretooth Wildchild's father (too)?

•••

sigh

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2020 at 9:40am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I'm not a fan of the father/son trope in comics (or any other media) but it's probably just me.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 December 2020 at 10:08am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Yes, it is.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2020 at 10:58am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

In his X-Men Forever series, Claremont revealed that Sabretooth was Wolverine's father, and then he had him join the X-Men after he had killed Wolverine off. I was all for him revealing that Sabretooth was Wolverine's father, but I hated that he had Sabretooth join the X-Men in order to find out who killed Wolverine. So I'm all for seeing JB's original intent on Sabretooth being Wolverine's father.

Edited by Rick Whiting on 01 December 2020 at 11:01am

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2020 at 11:06am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Richard: It has been so weird to see Wolverine used as a leader. If Logan is ever in charge, ever the one we all look to – that should be an "oh shit" moment of desperation, not a story about a wise old man.

Wolverine's complaints about Cyclops' leadership were nicely handled back in the Proteus story. Then, when Wolverine took a leadership role in the Wendigo investigation of X-Men 139-140, he seemed to be in his element -- but circumstances meant it was kind of a "seek and destroy" mission.

So I think you're right in that, if Wolverine is the leader, things have gotten really desperate and the usual humanitarian rules of engagement are not in place.

That's a cool place to go, every once in a long while.

In some ways, it feels like comic books have been stuck there ever since The Dark Knight Returns came out.

Edited by Mark Haslett on 01 December 2020 at 11:24am

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version