Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: Question for JB re: Wolverine’s untold Origin Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2020 at 10:33pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

JB-

Glad to hear this is happening- I'd love to see your take on Wolverine's origin.

I didn't find the Origin mini-series interesting at all. I really enjoyed BWS's Weapon X feature, but I must admit I wasn't crazy about the idea that the adamantium claws were a fluke, especially after Days of Future Past established they were installed with bionics to unsheathe them.

Also glad you changed your mind about the Wolverine/Sabretooth confrontation. That's sure to make many of your fans quite happy!
Back to Top profile | search

Geoffrey Langford
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2020 at 4:43am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I think the "not healing bones" idea raises a lot of other issues in my mind.   I could go along with "bones heal too quickly to be set" -- hence making him crooked twisted mess of a man.  This would put him in a hospital where they re-break all his bones and try and pin them and screw them to be straight, but this causes more and more issues - just leaving him in constant pain etc.  Word of the healing factor reaches the government, and he's brought in to weaponize.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 November 2020 at 7:15am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Well, that’s how you should do it, then.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 November 2020 at 8:23am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Also glad you changed your mind about the Wolverine/Sabretooth confrontation. That's sure to make many of your fans quite happy!

••

Didn't change my mind. Merely pointing out that confrontation would not be a part of this "origin" sequence.

On that note, what's the Forum feeling on using this exercise to restore Sabretooth to my original intent, as Wolverine's father?

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2020 at 8:40am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I'd love to see as much original intent as possible!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 November 2020 at 8:48am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I'd love to see as much original intent as possible!

••

Be careful what you wish for!

Scott Barnett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2020 at 8:50am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

On that note, what's the Forum feeling on using this exercise to restore Sabretooth to my original intent, as Wolverine's father?

Works for me!

Phillip L Lightfoot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2020 at 8:50am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I vote for a complete Sabretooth restoration.  XMEW is yours to strip all the dross away.  Would that Marvel as a whole would do this...

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 November 2020 at 9:01am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

When I refer here to my original intent for Sabretooth, I should perhaps mention that I am being quite literal. Two thoughts went through my mind when I designed the character:

Don't make him look like Wolverine, and, after I had finalized the design, This guy could be Wolverine's father.

The latter was my way of explaining why Wolverine both did and didn't read as a mutant.* Since Sabretooth was his father, and that mutation had bred true, Logan was actually the first of a new species.

* As many of you know, it was originally Chris and Dave's intent to reveal Wolverine was one of the High Evolutionary's Ani-Men, but Archie Goodwin unknowingly beat them to it with his origin for Spider-Woman--later changed anyway!!

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2020 at 9:42am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I've never been able to shake the Sabretooth connection to Wolverine in my mind since hearing about it. Considering what that would do to their origins makes them both seem so much more interesting.

In my mind this was always something that I wanted to see play out in the X-Men -- with his relationships to the team on the line and in the mix. I was kind of afraid for a while that some version of this story was going to appear in WOLVERINE comics and, consequently, it would feel wrong.

Seeing the original intent for Sabretooth in Elsewhen would definitely "scratch an itch" in my mind.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2020 at 11:22am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

If you're going to go down the road of telling Wolverine's origin, Sabretooth being his father seems OK to me. Or at least a relation of some sort... The only thing that kind of pokes at me the wrong way about the father/son thing is Sabretooth being further away physically from a human than Wolverine.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 November 2020 at 11:25am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

My Sabretooth wasn’t.

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version