Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 39 Next >>
Topic: President Biden, Being Presidential Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2021 at 7:59am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Kevin,

I thought in that the private vote of the House Republican Conference stood WITH Rep. Taylor Greene and voted NOT to strip her of her committee assignments, putting them at odds with what the whole House is likely to do later today.  

I know she "apologized" for some of the things she has said and they gave her a standing ovation.  UGH!

Marc

Edited by Marc Baptiste on 04 February 2021 at 7:59am
Back to Top profile | search

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2021 at 12:37pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

If my understanding is correct, there were two votes.

The private vote was to keep McCain.
The public one backed Taylor Greene

So what does this mean? That the republicans (They no
longer deserve the moniker GOP in my opinion. There is
nothing Grand about how they are operating) are a bunch
of spineless people who secretly don't agree with this
QAnon lurch that they are heading to, but are too damn
afraid to do anything publicly because their support base
is full of QAnon believers?

Spineless. Do your job, have the guts of your peers and
forebears.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2021 at 6:16pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

QUOTE:

Yesterday the Republicans had a private vote to determine whether Liz Cheney (I know that's who you meant above) should retain her position as House Conference Chair (the #3 position in House Republican leadership).  That vote was 145-61 in her favor.

In the same meeting they discussed Taylor Greene, and Kevin McCarthy made the decision not to strip her of her committee assignments.  I don't think there was any vote involved, either public or private, in that meeting.  I haven't read anything suggesting there was.  It was simply McCarthy's decision after discussion.

Today the entire House voted, and in that (public) vote, 10 Republicans voted with all Democrats in favor of stripping Greene of committee assignments.  I'm sure most Republicans were not happy with having to publicly vote on this, because it forced them to choose between either backing a lunatic or angering the Trump Cultist portion of their voting base.  Obviously, most of them chose the former.  That's not surprising considering what they've just seen happen to Cheney. 

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2021 at 7:44pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I think the Republican Party is in its death throes and what we have been witnessing since Trump was elected is just the thrashing about.

Marc

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2021 at 8:51pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The Republican Party got almost 47% of the vote in the Presidential election, despite having an appallingly bad, historically incompetent candidate.  They outperformed expectations in both national and local races, almost retaining the Senate and gaining significant ground in the House.  On statewide basis, they increased the amount of state legislative chambers they control (they now control 61, compared to Democrats' 37).  And 27 states have Republican governors.  That's not a party in its death throes.  It's a party increasingly dominated by wing nuts and demogoguery, but there's apparently enough voters who love that sort of thing and enough structural bias in the US electoral system to keep them successful. 

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2021 at 11:14pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Would it not be fair to say that there are many Americans that are fundamentally opposed to the Democratic ideology and reluctantly voted for the Republicans even though they didn't like Trump? The USA only has two parties to choose and I imagine for many, it is a hard choice. 

If the positions were reversed and the Democrats had elected a lunatic, would there be a mass exodus to the Republican Party or would Democrats look at both parties but be ideologically opposed to Republican positions so they reluctantly vote for their party?

Personally, even if I was a die-hard Republican, I would have swallowed it and voted for Biden due to Trump being Trump but perhaps there are a lot that could not move themselves to do so. 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2021 at 11:14pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Sadly, there are people who otherwise have common sense but buy anything that comes out of Trump's mouth and some that are diehard Republicans no matter what. Then there are the total whackjobs.....

If people used logic and realized they're mostly voting against their own self-interests, Republicans would have a hard time getting elected at all. 

The right-wing brainwashes people and uses fear ("The Democrats want to take away your guns!") and outright lies (Like blaming Democrats, especially past Presidents, for things that are actually their own fault) to stay in power. They're also hyprocrites when it comes to religion.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2021 at 2:03am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Thanks Jason, yes, I meant Cheney.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2021 at 8:19am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Correct, I mixed it up.

Regardless, now it's time for MTG to be booted from the House.  Her rhetoric alone during the election and comments made during and after the insurrection would be enough.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2021 at 9:23am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Neil: "...Would it not be fair to say that there are many Americans that are fundamentally opposed to the Democratic ideology and reluctantly voted for the Republicans even though they didn't like Trump?..."

Brian: "...The right-wing brainwashes people and uses fear ("The Democrats want to take away your guns!") and outright lies (Like blaming Democrats, especially past Presidents, for things that are actually their own fault) to stay in power. They're also hyprocrites when it comes to religion...."

For too many Republicans, it seems it is as simple as that party claiming to be pro-gun and anti-abortion, while the Democrats are typically in favor of gun control (not removal), and pro-choice. As long as you claim you love guns and hate abortions, these people will follow you anywhere, apparently no matter how vile and, yes, even evil the other actions you commit or support.

This is really not an exaggeration, either. I live in a "Red State" and Trumpsters are pretty prevalent here in my city. I know a few people that definitely support any Republican over any Democrat simply over gun control/rights issues. Trump could do whatever he wanted, and as long as MAGA's "god" told him he wouldn't go after their guns or support pro-choice. They would (and will) follow him anywhere he leads them based on that.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 05 February 2021 at 9:25am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2021 at 10:44am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I am certainly willing to admit I went overboard with my (biased) hyperbole. 

However, I do sense that the road ahead for the Republicans is none to smooth:

Even though we live under an Electoral College system, they have still lost 7 out of the last 8 presidential popular vote counts - eventually a tipping point will be reached and lock them out of any. kind of presidential victory.

This year they did indeed win their largest share of the popular vote  in US history (71 million plus) and it STILL was not enough to defeat "sleepy, senile old Uncle Joe".

They should have a 2 vote MAJORITY in the US Senate, but deep RED Georgia handed BOTH its US Senate seats to two pretty liberal Democrats giving control of the US Senate to the Democrats.

They should have been able to wrest control of the House of Representatives from the Democrats with their gains, yet they STILL fell short.

And all of this happened BEFORE the insurrection changed everything on January 6th.

Who knows what the next mid-terms will look like in 2022.

Marc

Edited by Marc Baptiste on 05 February 2021 at 1:01pm

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2021 at 12:05pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Who knows what the next mid-terms will look like in 2022.

IF things look better financially, the virus is under control, the country looks more stable, the Dems can build on that.

<< Prev Page of 39 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version