Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Space: 1999 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 24 October 2020 at 7:08am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The otherwise underwhelming film MELANCHOLIA (2011) presented a fairly realistic view of Earth colliding with another planet. One of the things that impressed me was how slowly it happens.

(It's a recurrent problem with movies showing planets exploding: it all happens too fast. To see chunks of Krypton or Alderaan being ejected even fast enough for us to see them, they would have to be traveling at hundreds of times escape velocity.)

Back to Top profile | search

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 October 2020 at 12:41pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Melancholia was great to see; it's not all that often something science-fictional requiring patience gets made. The original Solaris was another quality film.

It's funny that as a kid I loved season one of Space:1999 as it also required attention and patience, but that was more expected of people then somehow. Even in B&W just seeing the endless supply of Eagles doing anything was the big pay-off, there was little of that quality on tv... and the aliens encountered were often genuinely intriguing and interesting. Season two seemed to be about a woman with sideburns turning into stuff. Plus Moonbase Alpha got scaled down, although the clothes did look cooler.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Carlos Velasco
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 October 2020 at 2:16pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I loved Melancholia because the realistic science (except for the fact that a planet bigger than the Earth somehow gets pulled by it and not the other way around) made me forget about the depressing characters.

In a way, you can think of it as a quick, ironic way to feel that there are huge things going on outside our planet that make the stories of people on Earth seem ridiculous.

Choosing the right characters on Earth to concentrate on during these disaster stories is key, and Lars Von Trier definitely went for some depressive and depressed types.

Melancholia could have been a masterpiece with a slightly different approach to humanity.

Edited by Carlos Velasco on 24 October 2020 at 2:17pm

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 25 October 2020 at 1:10am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

While I should have been the ideal age and demo for SPACE:1999 when it originally aired, I hated it as a kid.  I thought it was boring 45 years ago despite some compelling themes.  Fairly certain I wouldn't think anything more of it now.  Just has never been my cup o' tea.  

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2020 at 5:00am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The first season had some legitimately great episodes. And I loved the moody yet epic opening credits.

And then came season 2, to ruin everything. (Much like what happened later with Buck Rogers..)

Still, I will forever love the design of the Eagles. (Had the toy of one as kid, and it was always a favourite.)

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 25 October 2020 at 6:31am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I recall critics at the time commenting on how Gerry Anderson, after years of working with puppets, found the most wooden actors available. . . .

Carlos Velasco
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2020 at 10:00am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

It looks like we don't have to worry about the premise of the series happening in real life, even if caused by some mad scientist: it would take billions of nuclear bombs to move the Moon.

Still, a mad scientist could choose to fire a powerful laser to deviate a big meteor to Earth...

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 25 October 2020 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Apparently, in the Fifties the Pentagon looked into BLOWING UP the Moon as a way to scare the Russians.

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2020 at 1:15pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Eagle Transporter Space 1999 Spacecraft Mahogany Kiln Dry Wood Model Large New

The best part of the show. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2020 at 2:26pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

SPACE: 1999 hit when I was just at the right age (4!), so that I still hold on to some degree of nostalgia for it (in fact, I've been revisiting it the past few weeks!)...

Season One is easily the best, though not necessarily great.  When I plowed through the first season from beginning to end, about 20 years ago, I gave myself a headache from all my eye-roll-inducing at the pseudo (non-) science, ridiculous dialogue and really goofy acting from all involved.  I've found the only way I can enjoy it is not to think of it in any real concrete terms as decent sci-fi drama, but more along the lines of each episode being a case of:  "Hey, I dreamed I was working on a moonbase in the future, and this weird thing happened."

Season Two, unfortunately, is just trash.  Despite some nostalgia, it's almost impossible to sit still through an entire episode.  The stories are pure Saturday morning drivel.  I did think Maya was cool at the time, though...

Edited by Shaun Barry on 26 October 2020 at 9:48pm

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2020 at 6:59pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

(And I, too, absolutely adored the Eagles, and still do today.  I painted & glued together the MPC model kit back in--you guessed it--1999, and currently have it displayed in my man-cave.  It had been broken & dusty for years, but I was motivated during the pandemic to finally clean it up and repair it.  It's gorgeous, if I do say so myself!)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version