Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic
Byrne Robotics > Fan Fic << Prev Page of 41 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN.16--Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 October 2020 at 7:08am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I have to say though... Post Phoenix, I'd prefer [Jean] as strictly telekinetic.

••

I think people have gotten too used to her being a telepath, too, despite the rather fuzzy means by which she got that way!

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 October 2020 at 7:10am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Well, Jahf, Logan did remember a certain redhead's name last issue, so his memories are not *completely* gone...

••

His brain hadn't finished "healing". Take careful note of Jahf's words.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2020 at 7:35am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

ITEM: Poor Wolverine! He always means well. I want a Mean plushy so I can feel better about him.

ITEM: I see a particularly simple way to get Logan back to "normal", but I'm not going to speculate publicly.

ITEM: Being no physiologist in any way, shape, or form, I seem to recall that there are still different types of memories. As noted, Logan is still healing; he's not himself yet.

ITEM: Yeah, Jean's becoming is pretty hinky in the end. Were she to revert back to strictly TK, that'd be fine.

Oh, but wait - she became telepathic when her friend was hit by a car and killed. Mr. Claremont said so! So she was always a telepath...

Not necessarily at all. Although it's a plot convenience, I posit that ANNIE was a telepath, and in her last moments, she reached out to Jean - the closest person to her. Yeah, I know, but it's no crazier than Jean always have been a telepath.

Steven Queen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2020 at 8:01am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

We have become used to the notion that Earth, with it's might super-heroes, are a big to-do in the Universe.

Back in the 1960's, we felt a whole lot more vulnerable to aliens and their advanced technology.

Wouldn't it be ironic if the mighty Phoenix, ravager of worlds, could be turned to stone by a hand-held weapon?---threat over.

Just thinking back over the sweep of this story arc, and recalling not that long ago we witnessed the Imperial Guard's epic fall to Phoenix on the Shi'ar homeworld and the right-and-proper return of Jean Grey...just blows my mind. This has been an amazing ride so far.  Too good.

Edited by Steven Queen on 08 October 2020 at 8:03am

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2020 at 8:27am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Lots of fun with a severely injured and incapacitated X-Men. Kitty might be rising to the occasion soon with some on the job training. Wolverine is potentially out of commission, Colossus is finding it difficult to armor up at the drop of a hat, Nightcrawler is AWOL of sorts and Scott might be struggling with what he wants as "normal" versus what Jean wants. Even though she has left the group, a much less powerful Jean to call on for emergencies won't be like having a Galactus level being at your beck and call.

It's tough to divorce the X-Men from their interstellar travel, but boy do I love seeing them back to something "manageable" from a story perspective. I never gravitated toward extremely powerful characters and teams when I was reading comic books so seeing the X-Men taken  down a notch or two is fine by me.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 08 October 2020 at 1:45pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

This feels very much like all the JB stories I've been reading since I was young
- the stories go into directions that defy my expectations and send characters
into uncomfortable and challenging areas. Showing Wolverine with these kinds
of vulnerabilities makes me like him even more.

Chris Durnell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2020 at 2:16pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

In regards to the discussion whether returned Jean should have telepathy, I want to note that when Jean first returned in X-Factor she only had telekinesis for a long time.  I think her telepathy only returned after Inferno.

Personally it does not matter to me anyway.  Although I do think that should she only have telekinesis, that it would still be appropriate for her to have some sort of aftereffect of being telepathic for so long - maybe better psychic defenses, a very slight empathic power, or other legacy.  But solely telekinetic works fine too.

I do like that we seem to be beyond "set up" to return Jean and getting stories about the new status quo.

I like the appearance of the D'Bari.  Were they ever mentioned as having representatives at the trial in the Blue Area of the moon?  I remember the Skrulls and Kree being there, but don't remember if any of the minor alien races were mentioned.  But no doubt interstellar news quickly spread of its results.

I wonder if the D'Bari will bring any news about the Shi'ar empire.  While I get the impression that JB isn't interested in exploring that area of the setting, the destruction of their throneworld, the implied killing of the Imperial Guard, and the death (I assume) of Lilandra likely threw the Shi'ar Empire into crisis and possibly collapse.  Since Jahf is still around, we may still hear news.

Michael Genitempo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2020 at 2:36pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

His brain hadn't finished "healing". Take careful note of Jahf's words.

>>

Ah, I see... that's harsh... you must really like Wolverine a lot ;-)

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2020 at 3:19pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Considering what Jahf has just lost, his generosity of spirit and congeniality are saintly. He's the galaxy's shortest gentle giant.

Brad Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2020 at 7:12pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I am liking this setup.

The D'Bari are in the right here.  They have every right to revenge for the destruction of their planet and people.

I am kind of cheering for them.  I know the presumption is that we take for granted that the X-Men are the "heroes" but not in this case.

If this were Stan Lee writing, we would know things would get hairy and then Professor X would swoop in and explain everything to the D'Bari and everyone would go their separate ways.  I somehow think this is going to be delightfully different.

In fact, I very much look forward to seeing what happens because I have NO idea!

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2020 at 5:12am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Oh, and I have to admit that I found Kitty's "POP THOSE CLAWS! SNIKT! SNIKT!" encouragement rather cute.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Steven Queen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2020 at 5:49am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Wallace wrote:

Oh, and I have to admit that I found Kitty's "POP THOSE CLAWS! SNIKT! SNIKT!" encouragement rather cute.

Likewise!

<< Prev Page of 41 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version