Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: New Comics, Back Issues and Trade Paperbacks 07/29/2020 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2020 at 11:46am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

A new week.  Fairly light for me, though I`ll collect my monthly accumulation when I visit my LCS next week.  Here`s what`s been added to my file:
  • FANTASTIC FOUR ANTITHESIS #2- I enjoyed the first issue.  Good writing, beautiful art (Neal Adams).  Looking forward to where this goes, especially with Galactus and the Silver Surfer in the mix.
  • SPIDER-MAN #4- It`s been quite a while between issues, so I`ll likely have to re-read this mini-series to get up to speed.
  • BATGIRL #49 - I enjoyed the last issue, so I`m looking forward to this one.  Batgirl`s going out with a bang.
Since Monday was my birthday, my wife purchased four books from Amazon that are making their way to the house.  These are:
  • Joe Simon: My Life in Comics - A nice companion to Jack Kirby.  This book was well received when it came out
  • Golden Age of DC Comics - I have the Silver Age book, so this is a great companion
  • The Dark Knight Returns - The Golden Child Deluxe Hardcover - I didn`t even know about the original Black Label, but it`s Frank Miller, so...
  • Caniff: A Visual Biography - I loved Male Call, so I`m looking forward to this.  Terry and the Pirates is considered a classic, though I haven`t read any of the strip, nor have I read Steve Canyon. Got the last copy Amazon had.

Edited by Phil Kreisel on 23 September 2020 at 11:47am
Back to Top profile | search

Gundars Berzins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2020 at 11:50am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

AQUAMAN #63
FANTASTIC FOUR ANTITHESIS #2
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

William Costello
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2020 at 5:45pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

DC; Aquaman #63.
MARVEL: Maestro #2 (of 5); Spider-Man: NOIR #4 (of 5).

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2020 at 6:45pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I'll admit Steve Canyon didn't really hold my interest (I got volumes 1-2), but I loved Terry and the Pirates. It takes a little bit to get going but once it does it's quite delightful all the way to the <sniff> end.

The strip continued without him so he didn't End The Series so I had to buy a couple of commissions (not from Caniff obviously) to get a couple of desired outcomes. :-)

SAVAGE DRAGON #252 - a tribute to old comic strips; should be fun. And I can't believe he's actually using the Paul Dragon version now... Looking forward to him picking up the Dimension X subplot.

DAREDEVIL #22 - finally get to see him in his costume and he's probably going to jail... Still liking the story, but got a little annoyed with #21 because of the secret id stuff, especially with Daredevil. Keep it a secret, tell people, whatever, but pick a lane and stay there. This "lot of people know, maybe it's in doubt, no wait everybody knows, no wait no one knows, okay I'll unmask here and there" stuff gives me a headache.       

FANTASTIC FOUR ANTITHESIS #2 - haven't read #1 yet, but flipping through it looked interesting

MAESTRO #2 - always happy to see more PAD Hulk

Rod Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2020 at 1:39am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

DC:
Aquaman #63

Marvel:
Fantastic Four Antithesis #2 (Of 4)

Dark Horse:
Skulldigger And Skeleton Boy #4 (Of 6)

Image:
Black Magick #14
Gideon Falls #25
Undiscovered Country #8

Vault:
Autumnal #1 - Not on the pull list, but I'm hoping to snag a copy.

Edited by Rod Collins on 24 September 2020 at 1:40am

Jim Burdo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2020 at 2:23am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

X of Swords: Creation #1

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2020 at 4:31am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Action Comics #1025- I'm with this as long as JRjr. Is on the book.

Fantastic Four Antithesis- I read a review on Bleeding Cool bashing this book. That assures me that I'm reading a good comic book!

Juggernaut #1- Ron Garney art brings me to the table.

Maestro#2- Pretty interesting so far. Peter David is hit and miss with me.

Edited by Shawn Kane on 25 September 2020 at 8:50pm

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2020 at 7:29pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Two post-Wednesday mail order arrivals -

DC Comics Before Superman: Major Malcolm Wheeler-Nicholson's Pulp Comics - from Hermes Press. I'm sure the text will be interesting, but I'm really getting it for the "160 pages of comics" reprinted. Always interested in getting a proper peek at the early early stuff.

X-Men Paperback (not sure what else to call it) - the one that reprints Giant-Size X-Men #1 and Uncanny #117. Mentioning this in the Claremont thread made me want to have a copy of my own, so one trip to ebay later...

Also, not a new acquisition, but I don't have somewhere else to mention it - I'm fond of the Tom DeFalco/Herb Trimpe/Barry Windsor-Smith Machine Man mini-series. Per the captions, the story takes place from September 23-27, 2020 so I thought it would be a good time to dig it out. Aligning the reading with the dates as best as I can. (Not all dates are mentioned.)

(Edited to fix an error.)

Edited by Dave Phelps on 25 September 2020 at 7:31pm

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2020 at 8:47pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

GIDEON FALLS #25: This series is about wrapping up, it started great, kind of sagged in the middle but it really picking up steam at the end. I like most everything I've read from Jeff Lemire.

JUGGERNAUT #1: I bought this mostly for Ron Garney's art. It's fine, but I don't care about Juggernaut in a more heroic role and I have no idea what's happened to him the last 20 years or so.  But the art's nice.

RAI #7: I continue to love this book, a really unexpected pleasure.

AN UNKINDLINESS OF RAVENS #1: Eh, a poor attempt at a Sabrina/Mean Girls type book. 

STILLWATER #1: I think this came out last week but I just picked it up. Ok idea but, again, a not especially engaging first issue. A lot of talk and it doesn't give a hook into the concept that makes me need to read next issue. So I probably won't.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version