Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: Cindy McCain Endorses Biden Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 September 2020 at 10:50am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

AP

John McCain lost a lot of my respect as he slid further and further right in his bid for the Presidency, but I take this as a good sign.

Back to Top profile | search

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2020 at 12:08pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I disagreed with McCain as often as not, but he must've been a genuinely strong person with what he went through earlier in his life, and there were those truly great moments when he 'corrected' that loony alt-right woman about Obama in a tv town hall, and the thumbs down on what they were trying to do in the senate (and are still trying to do) to the affordable care act.

I'm glad Mrs. McCain did this. Every bit of decency helps and might bring some others back from the slippery 'ends justify any means' perpetual absolutist outrage manufacturing and mud-slinging business. Permission to oneself to flout rules and the laws of your land is never for a good cause.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2020 at 12:31pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I liked McCain, though disagreed with quite a bit of his politics, and thought he was rightly censured for his involvement in the Keating/savings and loan scandal -- and probably got away a bit lightly. At least he had the balls to admit he had done wrong. Politically, a dark point for him.

I admired his view on foreign policy though and his willingness to stand for what he thought was right -- even if that meant reaching across the aisle, in stark contrast to the partisanship of nowadays.

And he went through hell as a prisoner of war in a way that I can't properly imagine.

Edited by Peter Martin on 23 September 2020 at 12:33pm

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2020 at 2:17pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I blame McCain for paving the way for Trump with his selection of Sarah Palin for his running mate in 2008, although he seemed to recognize what a mistake that was. 

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2020 at 2:26pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

McCain -- the true maverick -- had wanted to pick Joe Liebermann. Likely that would've been too radical for the Republican/Conservative base. But, I mean, at least he could've picked Romney over... Palin! YEESH!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version