Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Ratched Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2020 at 3:39pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Back to RATCHED. The technical aspects are off the chart... art design, camera work, wardrobe, music are ridiculously above typical tv fare. Sarah Paulson is always an interesting watch and the ensemble clearly had fun with this. But a few reservations... it's gleefully racy (not unexpected given Murphy) and a bit all over the place in its gore. Gratuitous would be generous.

Also, Bernard Herrmann's glorious music is constant and comprises probably 70% of the score but his name appears nowhere in the credits and there are murmurings his estate is receiving almost no money despite the rampant appropriation of multiple immediately recognizable tracks / riffs from multiple movies (CAPE FEAR, VERTIGO, N BY NW, PSYCHO among others.) Don't know if it's true but if it is, it's a sharp rebuke of Ryan Murphy's purported desire to bring back and honor old Hollywood. He's certainly brought it back, but with no honor I can see. I hope I'm wrong because I've enjoyed some of Murphy's productions (in particular his take on WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE.)
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2020 at 5:24pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

SMALLVILLE for ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST?

I may give it a look if only because I love Sara Paulson
and she looks great in the previews. Probably not gonna
help that I just this past weekend re-watched OFOTCN.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2020 at 8:31pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Nope. Terrible. Sympathetically portraying authoritarian evil is very Trumpy and very 2020.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2020 at 11:20pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Now I'm watching OFOTCN and it's fucking endless. There are a lot of Seventies movies where the, uh, leisurely pace builds tension and rewards character, but this wasn't one of them. Although it's funny to contemplate we're actually watching a young Danny DeVito or Christopher Lloyd. Brad Dourif is just about the only future Oscar nominee in the movie who didn't look exactly like what he eventually aged into. EDIT: Still a pretty good ending, though.

Edited by David Miller on 24 September 2020 at 12:07am

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2020 at 4:24am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

OK, totally off topic, apologies.

Why does Star Trek III: The search for Spock have an
'introducing Christopher Lloyd' credit when he was in
OFOTCN?

I have not watched the film, so didn't know he was in it.
I knew he was in Taxi, but thought as that was TV, maybe
it was valid.

But OFOTCN scuppers that theory.

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2020 at 6:27am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

JB wrote:
I've seen Nicholson turn in some amazing work, but the kind of scenery chewing we saw in SHINING and COOCOO'S nest was on the same level as his Joker--which is to say not good.

Huh.  You know, I'd always just accepted these were somehow objectively great performances that didn't work for me because of my adherence to the source material and the overwhelming positive critical consensus surrounding the adaptations.  This is especially true in regards to The Shining, which for people of my generation is considered an unassailable masterpiece.  For the majority of film fans, Kubrick is an artist and King is a hack, so I've been called upon multiple times - usually in group settings - to defend my position.  I guess I've just fallen into the 'it's great but not for me' stance as a concession.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2020 at 6:46am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I agree wholeheartedly with Rick Senger that the production value is extremely high. The show is a technical marvel. The acting is good as well. But the story is detracting for me and I might not finish the series at this point. My chief complaint is that there is such a high concentration of evil, villainous characters in one setting that my suspension of disbelief is too strained. Perhaps I will try watching an episode with the sound muted. ;)
Back to Top profile | search

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2020 at 8:48am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

American Horror Story won me over to Ryan Murphy. His batshit crazy approach is obviously not for everybody but I like it. And his style, wardrobe, music choices, etc are generally top notch. And his adoration of certain actors brings out good stuff in them often (like Sara Paulson). 
I think I'll watch this though I can see why people are wondering about a sympathetic look at this character. That being said, Murphy has a way of having fun showing terrible characters but it doesn't mean you have to like them.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 September 2020 at 2:01pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

But again, I have to ask:  Bernard Herrmann?  A grand guignol approach?  What does this have to do with the original character and the previous stage and film adaptations?

Back to Top profile | search

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 September 2020 at 4:23pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

James Woodcock wrote:
Why does Star Trek III: The search for Spock have an 'introducing Christopher Lloyd' credit when he was in OFOTCN?

It doesn't!

Robin Curtis has the "introducing" credit; just because Lloyd's name followed in the credits doesn't mean he was also being introduced. The "and" is meant to be its own special kind of billing (similar to "also starring" or "with"), as is placing Lloyd's name last in the list.

(I realize that makes close to zero sense. )

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 September 2020 at 4:36pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Daniel Gillotte wrote:
American Horror Story won me over to Ryan Murphy. His batshit crazy approach is obviously not for everybody but I like it. And his style, wardrobe, music choices, etc are generally top notch. And his adoration of certain actors brings out good stuff in them often (like Sara Paulson).

Same, but I've noticed my reactions have been hit or very miss. For Scream Queens, American Crime Story and about half the seasons of American Horror Story, I was in immediately and for the duration. For other seasons of AHS and now with Ratched, I bounced off the first episode like a rubber ball.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version