Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Ratched Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2020 at 6:46pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The premise is the early years and creation of the notorious nurse from “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest”. Stylistically it pays homage to Hitchcock and cerebral horror like his. There are lots of calls to other movies, “Silence of the Lambs” definitely mimicked during an episode I saw. Sarah Paulson is wonderful in the title role. I did the soundtrack distracting because I recognize the movies that initially used the music. I’m three episodes in and like it well enough to anticipate finishing season one.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 19 September 2020 at 6:52pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Doubtless we’ll find out she was just misunderstood.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2020 at 10:48pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

My wife was watching the first episode last night... it made absolutely no sense to me why they're taking a tonal approach into thriller, horror and "Hitchcockian" suspense...

WHERE exactly are any of these elements in the original novel, play and film version, which are straight, grounded dramas?  WHY are they suddenly trying to turn Nurse Ratched into some sort of pop culture super-villain, on the level of Hannibal Lecter or Norman Bates?  Sure, she was the main antagonist in ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST, but certainly not at this level.

Talk about a bastardization!

Edited by Shaun Barry on 19 September 2020 at 11:00pm

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2020 at 5:01am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Geez, I've thought all this time it was "Ratchet"!

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 20 September 2020 at 10:37am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

One review read: "…misunderstood anti-hero…"

Sure.

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2020 at 10:43am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I am just not on Ryan Murphy's wavelength - I don't think there's a single production of his that I haven't found tonally jarring, with subject matter and stylistic flourishes completely at odds with one another.  And that's before we even get into the idea of some kind of thriller/gothic origin story for an allegorical character from a boomer counterculture novel.  I cannot imagine liking this at all

Edited by Dave Kopperman on 21 September 2020 at 8:25am
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 20 September 2020 at 11:44am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I saw OFOTCN for the first time just a couple of years ago. I’d not had much interest in seeing it, but is the favorite movie of a friend and he gifted me his DVD copy as he moved to Blu.

I can’t actually say I was “disappointed” since I had zero expectations going in. But I found nothing to hook into in the movie. Nicholson’s character is a complete jerk, and while it would be excessive to say he got what he deserved, his fate would have been easy enough for him to avoid.

I’ve read that the novel actually centers on the Native American inmate. I wonder what that movie would have been like?

Craig Earl
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2020 at 12:22pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I saw OFOTCN around 20 years ago, enjoyed it, and re-watched it a couple of years ago. I didn't feel that it had aged particularly well, (although Louise Fletcher was great and Brad Dourif's performance was still awesome).

I still rate it, although I was always sore that It beat JAWS to the 1975 Best Picture Oscar.

It made me realise that your'e generally in with a shout if you make a film which features mental and/or physical disability.

-  Juicy Fruit  -

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2020 at 1:32pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I read the book in high school and saw the film shortly after completing the book.  The film definitely was a disappointment since Bromden is the narrator and his perspective is what makes the novel run. Problem in adapting it is that Bromden is barely even a reliable witness to events, much less an active participant.  So the RPM role is only going to take over the story if you make the choice to adapt as a straightforward narrative.  Between this and Kubrick’s ‘Shining,’ Nicholson managed to deliver great performances I can’t appreciate because both adaptations are thematically divorced from their source material so the characters end up going through the motions.

Edited by Dave Kopperman on 20 September 2020 at 1:34pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2020 at 1:04pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I wonder how prominently they'll put Ken Kesey's name in the opening credits just to try to give themselves the veneer of credibility. (Nothing in the world could make this credible to me, but hey).

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 23 September 2020 at 1:23pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Nicholson managed to deliver great performances...

••

Did he?

I've seen Nicholson turn in some amazing work, but the kind of scenery chewing we saw in SHINING and COOCOO'S nest was on the same level as his Joker--which is to say not good.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2020 at 3:14pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

OFOTCN is one of my favorite novels, and I'm not the only person who thinks it's one of the great books of the Twentieth Century.

I saw the movie first, but it lost its luster when I realized it's a better adaption of Jack Nicholson's star persona than Kesey's imaginative storytelling.

It's really dying for a remake. A more unconventional director than Milos Foreman, someone like Spike Jonze or Ari Aster, could really get across the LSD-inspired perspective. And there's a lot more Native American talent available to play the Chief than there was in 1975.

I'll give the first episode a watch, but I suspect humanizing a character intentionally presented as an anthropomorphic personification of society's regimentation and dehumanization will be as successful as the last couple Star Wars movie's attempts to crowbar gender and racial progressiveness out of material inspired by Leni Riefenstahl and Flash Gordon.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version