Posted: 23 September 2020 at 1:17pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Andrew: "...Wolverine might be too addled to notice..."

Time will tell!

Edited by Mark Haslett on 23 September 2020 at 2:01pm
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 September 2020 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Remember what I've said about speculating. . . . ?

Jim Petersman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2020 at 2:11pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

"Remember what I've said about speculating. . . . ?"

Which is why I limit my comments on here. It's just so easy to fall into the thinking-out-loud-then-falling-into-speculation trap. And I'm sure at some point it would grow tiresome to hear me say "Wow, that page/panel/character/item is so beautifully drawn!" a million times because they all are. I guess I'll just say that I'm looking forward to seeing all of the characters interact more, especially 2 specific characters.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 September 2020 at 2:16pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I'm sure at some point it would grow tiresome to hear me say "Wow, that page/panel/character/item is so beautifully drawn!" a million times

••

Oh, I don't mind THAT! ;-)

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2020 at 2:27pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I'm a couple days behind and just now catching up. Great
stuff!

And that Namor. What a diva!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 September 2020 at 2:27pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Looking back over several issues worth of pages, there's one thing that still jumps out at me: the cars.

Since I started using detailed toy cars and trucks for reference, a few years back, it's made it odd to look at the work done before that time, when I was still doing my generic "American car" version, without using reference unless a specific model was needed.

Those toys sure have made a difference!

(Some years back I saw work by a younger artist, and I wondered if he had read about me using toy cars as reference..... all his cars looked like PlaSkool models!)

Steven Queen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2020 at 2:34pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

JB wrote:

... all his cars looked like PlaSkool models!

<Snort!>

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 September 2020 at 2:55pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Truth to tell, given his somewhat skewed grasp of the rest of reality, he may have been using the same kinds of toys I did!

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2020 at 3:09pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I have been looking back over several issues worth of pages too and just for a moment to focus purely on the artwork: It is un-frigging-believable!

I put a few issues into a format where I could "flip" through them. There is a depth and precision to the drawings revealed this way which I hadn't recognized before. The sheer amount of intensely good drawing seems to compound and boggle me as page after page reveals what seems like complete artistic command. Things that worked one way by focusing on a page at a time took on a different nuance when seen in the midst of "reading a comic book." I began to appreciate how much the locations are working like real built sets and how character movements and graphic dynamics in the layouts are sweeping the story along.

Every new John Byrne project is exciting, but this "return" to full pencils feels special with aspects that I am just beginning to appreciate.

Mark McKay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2020 at 3:32pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I agree that the artwork on this series has been amazing! It was too long of a wait while New Visions was happening, but's certainly been worth it!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2020 at 3:45pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

"... the artwork: It is un-frigging-believable!"

Yep. I've been drawn to the different camera angels and panel layouts!
We're getting a master class in comic book storytelling!

John Northey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2020 at 8:46pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Love how little of this story wouldn't fit in back in the 80's - not too much of 'modern references' beyond the email comment (which now is an old one for teens, I know my teen only uses it to communicate with my parents).  Just think Kitty today would be born in 2007 to be 13 1/2, kind of weird given as a 13 year old I had a crush on her and now she is younger than 3 of my daughters in this story.  

Just finished re-reading the original Next Men series and it is funny how much tech fits 2020 - the GPS in every car for example and in personal devices so a character could get to Florida using a network (still waiting for the White House to blow up though).  Some off of course, but not grossly so vs others who speculated on the 'near future' (look at any Superman story speculating on the future to see crazy stuff).  I'm guessing JB doesn't like speculating wildly like many do, nor setting stories in ways that lock them into a specific time frame unless required by the story (ie: a WWII story or the Generations series).  Not sure if that is intentional or just a way of writing.  Need to re-read some other stuff and see if that fits those titles too (have a few omnibus on my shelf waiting for me to read them).  Best way to tell would be to have my 15 year old daughter read them and tell me what seems 'old'.
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 55 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version