Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic
Byrne Robotics > Fan Fic << Prev Page of 55 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN.15--Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2020 at 10:25am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Oh yeah, there is nothing retcon about this direction for Wolverine, whatever it is. It's like you found a new exit off the highway.

About Logan's senses: My current way of thinking about them is his healing factor keeps his senses as sharp as they would be when he was young, but now he has decade of practice using them more subtly than you or I could. I figure that keeps it from being a separate mutation.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Genitempo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2020 at 12:08pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Well it's been a issue, and I still feel bad for the copy of Jean... fading away in terror is a rather rough way to go!
Back to Top profile | search

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2020 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

This whole thing about the Logan not really knowing the original Jean is something I hadn't foreseen. It takes the whole story back to the correct era when, even as late as the Proteus saga - the "New" X-Men are still getting to know each other.

Wolverine had a weird way of wearing his mask everywhere in the early All New X-Men -- like he had a private life that included keeping his real face to himself.

The night the Sentinels grabbed the X-Men to go off to space, there's some dialogue about the team being together almost a year and no one knows Wolverine's real name. He calls Jean "Miss Grey" and she calls him "Wolverine" even though they're in a crowded NYC plaza.

As a Byrne-X-Men reader, it's like watching a circle complete to read Jean meet Logan here. This is the Jean we got to know better in XHY. This is the Logan we got to know in UXM. They really never met in a Byrne book before -- and it feels almost tectonic. It's a thrilling idea done beautifully.

Oliver Denker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2020 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Cool hanger bay.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2020 at 12:30pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Steven Queen wrote:
...18! That would imply the Weapon X experiments were performed on a minor!

Dastardly. ...

Len Wein also intended that Wolverine's claws were not actually a part of him, but were part of his gloves. Likely,  then, Wolverine never had been experimented on in Wein's original version of things.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 September 2020 at 12:40pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

No "healing factor" either, as I recall. Wolverine's mutant power was Just Being Tough.

In those days, of course, fandom didn't know about everything going on behind the scenes, so when he was brought into the A.N.A.D. X-Men--something else Len intended--there were no howls of outrage as soon as he started to drift "off-model".

In fact, back then, the howls of outrage were from fans who didn't want him on the team at all. His introduction in INCREDIBLE HULK had not exactly set the world on fire, and many fans saw him as taking a position that rightly belonged to the Beast.

(Ah, for those happy days of yore when most fans still thought of Hank's furry incarnation as a temporary situation, and his position in the Avengers basically being on loan.)

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2020 at 12:52pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I figured Wolverine had never been able to tell real Jean from copy Jean before, so he wouldn't be able to here... and then it would be SNIKT time. Glad I was wrong!

Tony Moretti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2020 at 1:52pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

"But this is set in the Past! ;-)"

-----------------------------------------
But set in that weird past that's taking place "now" haha ;) 

Steven Queen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2020 at 1:56pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

JB wrote:

(Ah, for those happy days of yore when most fans still thought of Hank's furry incarnation as a temporary situation, and his position in the Avengers basically being on loan.)

As good as the stories were, there was always something magical about the notion of the original team members returning. Honestly, it added depth (lore?) to the narrative that a previous team had existed and disbanded.

Unfortunately, the X-men's insane garbled history is now a weight that drags it down instead of just lending a sense of mystery. When it gets too heavy for the writers...they just reboot the (same) characters.

Edited by Steven Queen on 24 September 2020 at 1:58pm

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2020 at 2:31pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Steven: When it gets too heavy for the writers...they just reboot the (same) characters.

...and then, somehow, the ennui of all that supposedly forgotten past creeps right back into the reboots.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2020 at 5:11pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Once again, your body language rules. Jean's leaning back and stepping backwards from Wolverine's approach in the first panel says more than words can.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 September 2020 at 6:02am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

...and then, somehow, the ennui of all that supposedly forgotten past creeps right back into the reboots.

••

When I rebooted Superman, I decided to include Mxyzptlk, sort of as a wink and a nod.

Unfortunately, once I left, folk who followed me seemed to take that as a cue to drag back every character they could think of.

<< Prev Page of 55 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version