Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 3
Topic: When Stars Die. . . Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2020 at 3:31am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

If the movies have another character becoming the Black Panther, will Marvel kill off T’Challa in the comics?

Different things. Tony Stark died in the MCU and he is alive and well (I think) in the comics.

Back to Top profile | search

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2020 at 6:07am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

If I'm not mistaken, George Reeves was still set to star in a 7th season of ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN (with the possibility of directing some episodes), before his suicide in 1959.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2020 at 7:19am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Shaun, Brandon already mentioned that. And I'm in the "Reeves was murdered and it was made to look like a suicide" camp.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2020 at 3:35pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I think productions need to buy insurance for the risk of actors becoming incapacitated. An insurance company would have to check out the health of actor they are underwriting. Boseman's last movie for Marvel was Avengers Endgame, which began filming on August 2017. So his cancer diagnosis had to have happened after that date for Marvel not to have known. 

-----

QUOTE:
Many are left wondering how Boseman kept his diagnosis under wraps while shooting a film with a colossal budget like the $200 million Black Panther in 2017 (the film opened the following year and went on to earn $1.35 billion worldwide and was nominated for a best picture Oscar). 

But film finance attorney Schuyler Moore says a Marvel star wouldn’t likely require a medical examination for insurance purposes. “Big studios don’t often [get] completion bonds,” says Moore. “They are more prevalent in the indie filmmaking world. Sometimes, the big studios will look to insure for a particular actor, but they usually have a particular reason for doing so. Otherwise, studios will just shoulder the risk [of sickness or death].”

Robbie Moubert
Byrne Robotics Member
Evertonian

Posted: 05 September 2020 at 7:38pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Reginald Tate, the first actor to play the BBC's Professor Bernard Quatermass, died in August 1955,  less than a month before production began on Quatermass II. He was replaced by John Robinson. The change of lead actor doesn't seem to have affected the series' popularity and the viewing figures rose from 7.9 to 9 million viewers over the six episodes (The Quatermass Experiment had peaked at 5 million). The two-year gap between series, the doubling of the available TV audience and the fact that commercial television was still in its infancy all no doubt helped.

Three years later, with Robinson unavailable, the lead actor changed once more for Quatermass and the Pit, again without denting its popularity. I would say that Andre Morell, who had originally turned down the part in The Quatermass Experiment, gave arguably the definitive portrayal of the character. Years later, Sir John Mills would play the role in the final serial, simply called Quatermass (1979).

Edited by Robbie Moubert on 05 September 2020 at 7:44pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2020 at 9:55pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The MCU is this weird hybrid of James Bond, Universal monsters and Saturday morning serials. Near the beginning they recast Bruce Banner and Rhodey Bond-style, but Endgame put Captain America, Iron Man and Black Widow on ice more or less conclusively along with their actors. I think it's likely Chris Evans at least will return some day, and the comics have an admittedly horrible model to resurrect Iron Man. If they want to present legacy heroes in a semi-generational soap opera, they can, or if they want to find another actor named Chris, they can do that too.

So who knows what happens with T'Challa and Black Panther. On one hand, BP 2 and 3 were going to make a billion dollar each. On the other, Marvel can make a billion dollars with anything. Maybe Elf With A Gun by Spike Jonze might top out at $700 million, but the X-Men reboot will yield insanity dollar.

Whether Marvel recasts, or promotes Leticia Wright, or just puts the character on hold until the MCU reboots, I think any way forward can and will be represented as honoring Boseman.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2020 at 1:02pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

"...Maybe Elf With A Gun by Spike Jonze might top out at $700 million..."

Now, that's a DEEP cut! LOL!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2020 at 3:24pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The MCU is this weird hybrid of James Bond, Universal
monsters and Saturday morning serials.

That reminds me of a book about the serials that I read
as a kid. It told about one where the actor playing the
leader of the bad guys died into filming. Scenes of him
laying out their plans were rewritten to be as if the
second in command was repeating back the instructions.
Then he would say, "Right, boss?" and they would play
the same film clip of the deceased actor nodding. Now
that finding and watching the old serials is a trivial
affair, I should try to find this old book and see which
one this is about. I fear it might be one of those
stories that's so good no one would check it.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version