Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: COBRA KAI Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2020 at 12:37am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Now available on Netflix.

If anyone had told me a few years ago that a show based on KARATE KID - a franchise I wasn't even interested in back in the 80ies - could be this tremendously watchable, I would have laughed them in the face. 
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 31 August 2020 at 1:14am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Watched this the first day it was available on YouTube.  Actually subscribed to YouTube Red just to watch it.  I think it's fantastic and am so glad it's now offered to a wider audience after Netflix picked up the third season.  Can't recommend it enough!

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 31 August 2020 at 2:27am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I think the brilliance of this series is centering it on William Zabka's "Johnny Lawrence", the villain from the first film.  Unlike Petter, I loved the first KARATE KID and was disappointed in the diminishing returns of the sequels.  But I'll be damned if this series didn't suck me right back in.  You can tell that it's made by people who love the original and just want to explore that world nearly forty years later.  It's so, so good.

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2020 at 7:17am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Cobra Kai turned out to be one of the best shows on tv this year. The school brawl at the end of the second season was amazing. 

Bring on season three!

Mark McKay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2020 at 7:36am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I found this this week, and have been binging it with my son. He thinks I am so weird in how much I am loving it. It really just strikes a perfect cord with me, and I love how it portrays the complexities of life when viewed through different lenses.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2020 at 8:21am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I watched the free first couple of episodes on You Tube and liked it, but held off from getting You Tube Red. Glad to be able to now get it all through Netflix. I'm on episode 5 and find it an excellent mix -- it's funny, but it's not all just a comedy. It has some of the genuine frisson of the original at times and the dynamics between the various characters are pretty interesting. Interesting to see how they keep juggling it, with neither LaRusso or Lawrence as pure hero or villain (as yet), just multi-faceted protagonists.

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2020 at 1:41am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Matt, I did enjoy the first film. But I didn't make it halfway through the second and had no interest in the movies that followed, including the Jaden Smith "reboot". 

I agree that part of the show's success is that it centers on the "bad guy", who is basically a typical jock who peaked in high school and never got his act together. There are more layers to him as a character, and William Zabka plays him perfectly. 

Also, does Ralph Macchio age like normal people? The man is almost 60! 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2020 at 7:50am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I found the second film a real bore (great theme song though) and the third film was plain bad. Love the first film, which is the only one I didn't see in the theatre.

What's great about the TV show is that it manages to do that rare trick of not just reproducing what came before but still feeling like a true extension of what we saw before. A huge part of the first film was the relationship between Daniel and Mr Miyagi, and very enjoyable to watch it was. But when that basically became all of the second film, it was not that interesting. Here (out of necessity) they eschew the Daniel-Miyagi axis and we get a fresher story.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2020 at 10:44am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

This may be the next thing we watch after we finish JUSTIFIED. For
some reason, I had been under the impression Macchio wasnt in this
but I discovered this morning the opposite was, in fact, true and my
curiosity greatly increased.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 02 September 2020 at 7:14am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

No specific spoilers, but a ton of the original cast makes an appearance one way or another over the first two seasons 

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2020 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I'm definitely hooked on Cobra Kai... haven't finished season 2 but i'm enjoying what I've watched so far.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2020 at 3:44am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Brilliant take on KARATE KID.

I think it was inspired by some Reddit fan theory that said Daniel Larusso was actually the bad guy in the original film if you watched it from Johnny Lawrence's perspective. 

And it does have legs. 

The show's tone is just right, doesn't take itself too seriously but it does offer some brilliant insights about different personality types, mid life crises and the difference between 80s teens and teens now.

One of those insights I loved is that they reversed the personalities between Cobra Kai's alumni and "Miyagi" students (now represented by Larusso).

It makes a lot more sense that the "weak", nerdy types are the ones attracted to the Cobra Kai credo because they want to learn to become more aggressive and the delinquent type kid is more attracted to the Miyagi zen style because it brings some peace and balance to his naturally conflictive personality.

I love this show, much more than the original films.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version