Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: Biden picks Kamala Harris Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2020 at 6:42pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I'm okay with this. I doubt it makes any difference. The only name that matters is Trump. I figure almost everyone is voting for or against Trump.
Back to Top profile | search | www

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2020 at 6:56pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Harris was almost my pick in the primaries. It’s already breathtaking to
witness White-Lives-Matter right-wingers already pretending to care
about how many African Americans she incarcerated as a prosecutor,
not to mention how quickly they kicked off the casual misogyny
—“Kamala On Her Back”—and principled refusals to correctly
pronounce her name.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2020 at 6:58pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

At minimum, the goal with a VP pick is to do no harm.  Choosing a woman who was not black could have done harm, because it would play into the whole "Biden takes black voters for granted" concept.  I think Harris will do no harm.  People on the far left might be somewhat unhappy with her record as a prosecutor, but I find it hard to imagine they are stupid enough not to realize the impact four more years of Trump would have on our justice system, and vote accordingly.  She's not someone Trump will be able to paint as a dangerous radical any more than he's been able to with Biden.  And that's what seems most important in this race. 
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2020 at 7:18pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

It’s not as if you could make an argument against Harris that would drive a voter on the fence to Trump/Pence.  Eg., if you think black people are treated unfairly by the law, and Harris used to be a prosecutor, that will not drive you to vote Republican rather than Democrat.   

And that is similar to pretty much any criticisms one tries to level at Biden himself:

- “Biden is old and going senile.  He confuses people and events when he tells stories”. And Trump?? Apparently the Spanish flu ended WWII
- “Biden is creepy with the way he gets too close to women and hugs them”. Trump has been publicly accused of sexual assault by over 40 women.
- “Biden’s son got an undeserved board appointment on a foreign company in an attempt to get favours from Biden”. Trump demanded Ukraine announce an investigation into that appointment as a precondition for releasing military aid to them, and was impeached for it.

Neither candidate is perfect, but Trump is typically 10 times worse about any topic one would use to criticize Biden.  

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2020 at 7:24pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

(Biden's even got better, more believable hair.)

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 12 August 2020 at 12:32am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I like the pick.  As someone who has lived in California for longer that he's lived anywhere else in his adult life, I applaud it.  All candidates, every single one, comes with baggage.  We all do.  To expect someone not to have baggage is the height of absurdity.  She's a strong, powerful person who has shown that she can lead Day One.  That's all I need to know.

Biden/Harris 2020.

Really.  It's the only sensible choice.

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2020 at 3:28am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I see a lot of talk about the VP debate and how she will murder him but...is the VP debate that big a deal? Not sure I've ever seen any coverage of one over here. Is it seen as important over there?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 August 2020 at 4:35am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Is [the VP debate] seen as important over there?

••

It is now!

It's highly symbolic.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 August 2020 at 5:00am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Biden/Harris 2020.

Really. It's the only sensible choice.

••

If only sense had anything to do with it!

As you note, Matt, you live in California. If an extra million Californians turned out to vote for Biden this November, he'd still get the same 55 Electoral College votes Clinton got.

It's not going to come down to who wants to vote for Biden. It's going to come down to how many Trump voters have changed their minds about him in those middle red states.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2020 at 5:23am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

If Biden/Harris win in 2020....Kamala Harris will most likely be at the top of the ticket in 2024.  Joe Biden will be into his 80’s...and nobody with an ounce of sense should want to tack on another 4 years with him as POTUS at 81+ years old.   I suspect we will see more of the US Vice President in their 1st term then we EVER have before.  This will be a dress rehearsal for her to take over...and it will be vital that the Democrats produce results to run on.

The question remains, what shape will the nation be in after trying to repair the damage left by Trump?  Will the Democrats have made ENOUGH progress to convince the electorate its time to finally put a woman totally in charge?  My fear is that the country will limp along for Biden’s 1st term...and come 2024 the GOP will run a smarter version of Trump (Tom Cotton perhaps) to shift the blame on Democrats and once again adopt the narrative of the GOP “fixing” the economy with the usual BS about tax cuts. This country seems to fall for it time and time again. 

It’s vital that the Republicans are decimated in 2020....if we want a REAL shot at truly getting up of our knees.  What a blessing it would be to rid ourselves of Mitch McConnell!  It’s unlikely, however.  Way too many folks in this country would rather suffer as long as the people they hate are getting it worse.  I don't see this changing anytime soon.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 August 2020 at 5:26am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

...then...

••

.....whimper.....

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2020 at 5:42am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I'm not sure Biden picking her will help him all that much - she didn't do very well in the primaries. 

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version