Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: The DC Comics Layoff "Bloodbath" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2020 at 5:11pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Amen to this, but from what I've read Jim Lee and Geoff Johns are keeping their jobs so far. They must've nailed themselves to the floor.

——

Geoff Johns left DC two years ago. He formed his own production company to produce content for the TV/movie side of things. As that seems to be the part that WarnerMedia is interested in and the content his company produced seems to be doing well (AQUAMAN, DOOM PATROL, and STARGIRL), I think it would be less likely things would change there. 
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2020 at 7:24pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Dan DiDio said in retrospect, the New 52 started out strong, but a year into it, there were no further ideas to keep it going.  And I thought “ That is the truth behind EVERY reboot of the DC Universe that DiDio oversaw!”

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2020 at 9:42pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

So who else seen this (or something similar) coming?

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2020 at 9:56pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

So who else seen this (or something similar)
coming?
==========
I know an answer to this, but nobody wants me
opening that can of worms. I will simply
agree, its never a good day when someone loses
a job.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2020 at 12:47am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Dan DiDio said in retrospect, the New 52 started out strong, but a year into it, there were no further ideas to keep it going. 
--

Dan DiDio is an idiot. He believed in frequent reboots and was responsible for much of the misery that made an old DC guy like myself finally give up for good. "The New 52" was horrible from day 1. 

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2020 at 12:57am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Dan DiDio said in retrospect, the New 52 started out strong, but a year into it,
there were no further ideas to keep it going.

Isn't that an awful lot like an engineer getting part-way through building a
bridge and then saying he thought he could do it, but sees now that it was
never going to work?

"Reboots" are not "brainstorming sessions" -- they are new foundations. If you
can't see an endless horizon, then whatever you're doing isn't a "reboot".

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 August 2020 at 6:22am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Julie Schwartz used to say they did the first six Atom stories, and then realized they’d done all of them.

As I’ve said before, one of the most important unasked questions of the past several decades is “Then what?”

Anthony Vitrano
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2020 at 6:42am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

In the NY Post today a story on the DC Comics layoffs it uses a picture that is all JB Action Comics covers.

Jonathan A. Dowdell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2020 at 6:44am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Dan DiDio said in retrospect, the New 52 started out strong, but a year into it, there were no further ideas to keep it going.

Does anyone remember the "1 Year Later" soft reboot from DC? The idea of jumping ahead 1 year was interesting but then the books ran late and DC had to dump in fill-in issues. Creators couldn't keep up so the "great creative teams" didn't stay as teams for very long. Another DiDio production (before New 52, BTW). 

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2020 at 8:10am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I thought "1 Year Later" was preposterously stupid. If you don't want to publish comics, then don't; go sell copper for a living or something. If you don't have ideas to write comic stories, what will skipping 12 months of stories do? You STILL have to write stories.

And if you really need 12 months for a situation to simmer and take shape, and you can't write stories for that substantial time, you need to be in another line of work.

I hated Crisis on Infinite Earths and its aftermath. I hated other cross company universal reboots even more. And COIE, for all its failures, had a direct purpose (right or wrong thought it might be.) What the hell were Infinite Crisis and Pu52 about? What did they change that NEEDED changing? New characters? New stories? Then how about a new comic with new writing? Teen Titan not working? Don't scrape the paint and start doodling in the remnants... just continue with a new membership and new stories without saying, "But nothing earlier ever happened so I don't have to worry about dealing with it!"

I suppose I'd say that I prefer the way Marvel did it... until the Franklin Richards reborn books, and then the brand new universe with a new same ol' Spider-Man and a new same ol' X-Men. "Marvel got it right the first time" - couldn't prove it by me!

My heart breaks at the thought of DC's end. I have a lot of copies of the stories I loved so, but it's still pretty painful.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 August 2020 at 8:40am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

“One year later” completely scuttled my plans for BLOOD OF THE DEMON.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2020 at 9:30am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I somehow don't see this as the official end of ends but whatever form it takes from here (massively scaled back) will be TS Eliot's whimper.

The torrential movie studio reorganization is underway as well and it's a bloodbath. Warner Media (600 workers) and NBCU (10% of the work force) are the first to announce but all the others will surely follow.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version